BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Dinan Stage 2

So...getting my Dinan Stage 2 installed this AM. I did consider other tunes, but decided this was the best option for me. Yes I know...some options cost less money & provide more HP & Tq gains. I got a really good deal from my local dealer (Thompson BMW in Doylestown) Can't wait till the weather warms up & they fix the roads. Gonna be a fun Spring & summer.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Nice. I understand, I will probably be getting a Dinan tune as well.

In before all the haters "ER-MA-GERD! You can haz more powa for less with other options....."
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Whats a "really good deal", i have been entertaining the idea of going this route since im still on warranty...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

In before all the haters "ER-MA-GERD! You can haz more powa for less with other options....."
I'm so sick of hearing this crap from Dinan fanboys. Most owners that bag on Dinan aren't "haters", they're just smart enough to realize that their "godsend" warranty is mostly bullshit and their products are way overpriced. BMW dealers count the flashes on your ECU. That's how they tell you're tuned (or, if using a piggy back, the fact that it's present and, if it's not there because you took it off, logging will clearly show the presence of something that altered engine's output parameters). They can and will deny your claims "at will" in such cases and there have been many documented cases where the finger pointing results in the end user getting fucked. The point is, if purchasing Dinan for their "warranty" helps you sleep at night and you're comfortable overpaying for performance, I say go for it...just understand that, no matter what, you are rolling the dice when you modify your car.

Hell, aftermarket warranty companies are now heavily investigating warranty claims on cars and denying them due to modifications. So, take a guy like me who's situation is very close to 135TX's, warranty wise, and ask if it's really worth paying that much money for one year of "warranty" coverage from Dinan (because they, to my knowledge, match the new car warranty not CPO or aftermarket coverage).

Last edited by davis449; 03-13-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

If your happy that's all that matters man. I can see why someone with a new BMW would go that route but your car is a 2011 and Dinan only covers the initial 4 years or 50K, but If it was a "good deal" and your happy.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wasn't someone on here having issues with their warranty not being covered after a dinan tune recently?

I mean besides the "warranty" the dinan tune isn't better at anything at all, so if the warranty isnt worth it then what's the point?

I know you said you considered other tunes, but we should discuss them anyway. Unless of course you started this thread just to tell us you are going to earn some points for a cool badge and you just want a thumbs up.

Sounds like a TERRIBLE idea to overpay that bad for a year of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
PhillyfaanM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Gray Metallic M3

Thanks everyone for your input and questions. This post isn't a...one tune is better than another. This is merely me telling my fellow 1 addicts my experience so far with this tune. This community has been a wealth of information and I'm just trying to return the favor. At the end of the day every member has to decide what option is the best for them for whatever the reason.

So. I only got to drive the car briefly this morning on the way to work and I gotta say I think It's night and day. I think we can all agree the 135i is a great car out of the box with it's 300/300. It's more than sufficient.

When you get in the car, it feels stock if your driving conservatively and below 1500 RPM's. But as soon as you push down on the pedal...WOW. It's like someone just let Dr. Jekyl out for a little fun. It just pushes you back and the RPM's climb much faster than in stock form. I've heard others say it pulls like a freight train and I'd have to agree.

1st doesn't feel crazy, but once you hit 2nd gear, you're at 7000 RPM's and at 80 before you even have a chance to look down at the Tach. 3rd pulls really hard also and before you know it you're at 100+ thinking holy S#$%...reel it in. Put Dr. Jekyl away before I get pulled over.

I got the Tune for about $600 off which included the discount and a customer referral bonus.

Unfortunatley I won't get a chance to really drive it for a prolonged period of time as we still have some snow on the ground here and our roads are a total mess. Can't wait to really spend some time behind the wheel.

2018 Champaign Quartz F31 Sports Wagon | BMW 624 wheels | KW Street Coil Overs | DINAN Stage 1 v2.0 | Soul Performance Muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Excited to hear more results. Let us know!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I brought my cab with S2 installed so I don't know the difference between stock, but I would highly suggest whiteline inserts or m3 rear bushings which I noticed really helped keep the backend planted.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
So...getting my Dinan Stage 2 installed this AM. I did consider other tunes, but decided this was the best option for me. Yes I know...some options cost less money & provide more HP & Tq gains. I got a really good deal from my local dealer (Thompson BMW in Doylestown) Can't wait till the weather warms up & they fix the roads. Gonna be a fun Spring & summer.
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #11
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

I'm so sick of hearing this crap from Dinan fanboys. Most owners that bag on Dinan aren't a "haters", they're just smart enough to realize that their "godsend" warranty is mostly bullshit and their products are way overpriced. BMW dealers count the flashes on your ECU. That's how they tell you're tuned (or, if using a piggy back, the fact that it's present and, if it's not there because you took it off, logging will clearly show the presence of something that altered engine's output parameters). They can and will deny your claims "at will" in such cases and there have been many documented cases where the finger pointing results in the end user getting fucked. The point is, if purchasing Dinan for their "warranty" helps you sleep at night and you're comfortable overpaying for performance, I say go for it...just understand that, no matter what, you are rolling the dice when you modify your car.

Hell, aftermarket warranty companies are now heavily investigating warranty claims on cars and denying them due to modifications. So, take a guy like me who's situation is very close to 135TX's, warranty wise, and ask if it's really worth paying that much money for one year of "warranty" coverage from Dinan (because they, to my knowledge, match the new car warranty not CPO or aftermarket coverage).
You're forgetting that the OP's local service department is doing the install (and making money on the product). If this was a third-party product or warranty- then sure, you could see finger pointing... but I don't see that being the case with a DINAN product sold, installed and serviced by his dealer.

Moreover- having recourse (how much, you'll argue, is debatable) to DINAN means that you're likely getting a product that best balances maximum output and longevity. No one else (this side of Alpina) is underwriting the risks that DINAN is (which is why they have a few dozen engineers on staff).

My car isn't tuned- but if it were to be, DINAN would get a good hard look. That said, I respect that some folks are comfortable self-insuring and/or pushing the limits of their motors.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #12
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input and questions. This post isn't a...one tune is better than another. This is merely me telling my fellow 1 addicts my experience so far with this tune. This community has been a wealth of information and I'm just trying to return the favor. At the end of the day every member has to decide what option is the best for them for whatever the reason.

So. I only got to drive the car briefly this morning on the way to work and I gotta say I think It's night and day. I think we can all agree the 135i is a great car out of the box with it's 300/300. It's more than sufficient.

When you get in the car, it feels stock if your driving conservatively and below 1500 RPM's. But as soon as you push down on the pedal...WOW. It's like someone just let Dr. Jekyl out for a little fun. It just pushes you back and the RPM's climb much faster than in stock form. I've heard others say it pulls like a freight train and I'd have to agree.

1st doesn't feel crazy, but once you hit 2nd gear, you're at 7000 RPM's and at 80 before you even have a chance to look down at the Tach. 3rd pulls really hard also and before you know it you're at 100+ thinking holy S#$%...reel it in. Put Dr. Jekyl away before I get pulled over.

I got the Tune for about $600 off which included the discount and a customer referral bonus.

Unfortunatley I won't get a chance to really drive it for a prolonged period of time as we still have some snow on the ground here and our roads are a total mess. Can't wait to really spend some time behind the wheel.
Frank, first and foremost glad you like the car and your decisions. That's really all that matters. But save your breath and don't expect much positive support for a Dinan tune around here. If you don't believe me, do a search for my name and you'll find some pretty animated Dinan threads that were pretty much useless. I have the Dinan stage 2 (N54) and Dinan intercooler with some 3rd party exhaust/intake mods. I'm happy with the car.

I have first hand experience with needing CPO warranty work on my car for intercooler piping problems, charge pipe diverter valves, and gaskets. Never once had an issue with the dealer honoring the warranty. If fact I have a thread thats only a few days old talking about my experience with CEL.

Dinan makes a solid product. Its marketing is good and the price shows. Its a conservative product but as long as you know that and accept it, who cares

That all said, I still want more power! ha

CURRENT: 2013 TSM 335i 6AT | Stock!!...for now |
SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |

Last edited by cbl117; 03-13-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #13
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I'm so sick of hearing this crap from Dinan fanboys. Most owners that bag on Dinan aren't a "haters", they're just smart enough to realize that their "godsend" warranty is mostly bullshit and their products are way overpriced. BMW dealers count the flashes on your ECU. That's how they tell you're tuned (or, if using a piggy back, the fact that it's present and, if it's not there because you took it off, logging will clearly show the presence of something that altered engine's output parameters). They can and will deny your claims "at will" in such cases and there have been many documented cases where the finger pointing results in the end user getting fucked. The point is, if purchasing Dinan for their "warranty" helps you sleep at night and you're comfortable overpaying for performance, I say go for it...just understand that, no matter what, you are rolling the dice when you modify your car.

Let me elaborate on my POV, I have an aftermarket warranty (Easy Care, if anyone is curious).

Per easy care, any parts that can be supplied and installed via a BMW will be covered under warranty. From their standpoint if BMW is supplying the part and not some aftermarket supplier then the quality and the engineering is in place so as not to greanade your engine or other related parts.

Now im not debating whether or not DINAN will cover anything, this is specific to only EASYCARE, and BMWNA is irrelevant to me.

In addition unlike JB4 or COBB, DINAN speeds up the water pump to compensate for added heat that extra boost puts on the engine. This uniique feature would be worth paying extra to ANY N54 owner who has not upgraded cooling components. But for me (N55 BTW) who tracks my car in Texas summer this is worth a little extra IMO..

OP , Glad you are enjoying the tune, Thanks for the great info.

Haters gon hate.... Its your money and your car, glad you are happy because that's who matters.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and most of them stink....
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

And stop posting here, go out and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
ask if it's really worth paying that much money for one year of "warranty" coverage from Dinan (because they, to my knowledge, match the new car warranty not CPO or aftermarket coverage).
Not to support one side or the other on this argument, but my local Dinan dealer (also my local BMW dealer) told me that in the case of a used or CPO car, like mine, they will provide a two year warranty from time of install, regardless of duration of factory or CPO warranty. In my case, I have one year of factory left and two of CPO, so if I were to go Dinan, I would still have CPO warranty after the Dinan runs out. The fact that my local dealer is still a Dinan dealer would give me great confidence that they would not void my warranty for Dinan products installed in their own shop.

That said, I have decided to likely go with another tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #16
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
I have first hand experience with needing CPO warranty work on my car for intercooler piping problems, charge pipe diverter valves, and gaskets. Never once had an issue with the dealer honoring the warranty. If fact I have a thread thats only a few days old talking about my experience with CEL.
Yeah, and I have first hand experience getting warranty work done with no issues on two different heavily modded APR tuned Audi's (a company's whose products were sold by very few Audi dealers in the past that I did not actually get installed at an Audi dealer)...what's your point? If I had experienced something truly catastrophic, I highly doubt they would've covered it. Go look at people who got screwed by Stasis' warranty (a company who offered the same type of "warranty" DINAN does for BMW's). Instances have been brought to light here in this forum where owners have been screwed by the DINAN warranty due to finger pointing. You are simply proving the point I've already made and will reiterate so you blind fanboys will understand: No matter what, when you modify the car you are rolling the dice with your warranty. Period.

Quote:
Dinan makes a solid product. Its marketing is good and the price shows. Its a conservative product but as long as you know that and accept it, who cares
And Bose sells a lot of "high end, quality audiophile grade" products...

Quote:
Let me elaborate on my POV, I have an aftermarket warranty (Easy Care, if anyone is curious).

Per easy care, any parts that can be supplied and installed via a BMW will be covered under warranty. From their standpoint if BMW is supplying the part and not some aftermarket supplier then the quality and the engineering is in place so as not to greanade your engine or other related parts.
I hope, for your sake, you never have test the fine print on this one...

Last edited by davis449; 03-13-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Seriously???

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
Frank, first and foremost glad you like the car and your decisions. That's really all that matters...
That all said, I still want more power! ha
Seriously???

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #18
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Seriously???

Seriously???
Seriously what? The fact that you made it clear you don't understand light humor? Go troll elsewhere.

SOLD: 2010 CR 135i 6MT | 351 WHP 387 WTQ | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Intercooler | BMS DCI | Berk Street Axle Back | N55 Midpipe | BMWP Y-Pipe | Bilstein HD Dampers | BMWP Springs | Whiteline RSFB Inserts | 225/255 RE71R | CDV Delete | CF Diffuser |
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, and I have first hand experience getting warranty work done with no issues on two different heavily modded APR tuned Audi's (a company's whose products were sold by very few Audi dealers in the past that I did not actually get installed at an Audi dealer)...what's your point? If I had experienced something truly catastrophic, I highly doubt they would've covered it. Go look at people who got screwed by Stasis' warranty (a company who offered the same type of "warranty" DINAN does for BMW's). Instances have been brought to light here in this forum where owners have been screwed by the DINAN warranty due to finger pointing. You are simply proving the point I've already made and will reiterate so you blind fanboys will understand: No matter what, when you modify the car you are rolling the dice with your warranty. Period.

And Bose sells a lot of "high end, quality audiophile grade" products...

I hope, for your sake, you never have test the fine print on this one...
Let me spell out my point since you didn't get it. The OP is discussing Dinan and some following posts were discussing warranty. Then Darkrom dumps some anecdotal statement that BMW might not honor the warranty with Dinan products. It seems appropriate for me the share my experience with warranty work and Dinan products. Good info for someone considering Dinan.

Whats your point? No one is talking about Audi, actually this is a BMW forum last I checked. Don't know what Stasis warranty is and don't care to look it up.

How much do you know about audiophiles and high fidelity stereo? Do you know Wilson Audio, VPI, Benz Micro, Cardas? Because I do, and I use all their equipment and still bought a pair of bose soundsport in ears for the gym. Guess I'm a sucker.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post

In addition unlike JB4 or COBB, DINAN speeds up the water pump to compensate for added heat that extra boost puts on the engine. This uniique feature would be worth paying extra to ANY N54 owner who has not upgraded cooling components. But for me (N55 BTW) who tracks my car in Texas summer this is worth a little extra IMO...

The jb4 can do this if you want. Its a simple option. Having it default working the water pump harder is not a good idea IMO. Working one of the most common failure points on the n54 harder?

Me and many others run much higher boost on stock cooling and aren't seeing increased temps.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #21
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl117 View Post
Seriously what? The fact that you made it clear you don't understand light humor? Go troll elsewhere.
Not trolling, Frodo - I just find what you said funny, as in: Seriously? Did you seriously say you want more power after saying how you appreciate your Dinan tune?

If you go back and read any of my posts about the subject, you'll find that I really don't give a shit what tune anyone has and I don't support one over the other.

Sod off.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
cbl117
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Not trolling, Frodo - I just find what you said funny, as in: Seriously? Did you seriously say you want more power after saying how you appreciate your Dinan tune?

If you go back and read any of my posts about the subject, you'll find that I really don't give a shit what tune anyone has and I don't support one over the other.

Sod off.
That mentality (that you find funny) created the aftermarket tuning industry.

Appreciate 0