BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #3433
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Interested in hearing your opinion of it. Hope you like it!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #3434
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Fun update for everyone, or at least those who care:

My new wheel locks have arrived, so that'll be taken care of today or tomorrow and then it looks like I'll have the performance suspension put on next Wednesday at HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara. Should be a fun 100 mile drive home on the new suspension and then a few days later I'll be getting an alignment and oil change at the dealer. I feel like a kid at christmas!
Congrats on finally getting the wheel locks taken care of! Can't wait to hear all about the perf. suspension. Enjoy that 100 mile drive home.

Speaking of 100 mile drives, I just took the beast up to Vail on I70 from Denver. It's exactly 100 miles and the drive up thru the mountains was fantastic! I cannot believe how fast this thing can go uphill at altitude. It's the most powerful car I've driven in the mountains. Needless to say, I made really good time
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #3435
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Interested in hearing your opinion of it. Hope you like it!
I better like it! Spent too much time and money researching and buying everything. I'll MAKE myself like it. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Speaking of 100 mile drives, I just took the beast up to Vail on I70 from Denver. It's exactly 100 miles and the drive up thru the mountains was fantastic! I cannot believe how fast this thing can go uphill at altitude. It's the most powerful car I've driven in the mountains. Needless to say, I made really good time
Any fun pics of your car in Vail? Now imagine how much faster you could have gone on those mountain roads with the performance suspension. Ha!

It Wednesday yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #3436
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any fun pics of your car in Vail?
No. I didn't wanna be "that guy" taking pics of his car on vacation. But, I've had it here at the hotel and the valets and guests all turn their heads and look when they hear the cold start.

Going 85mph on I70 in this car feels like 55. I really gotta keep my eye on the speed.

But speaking of photos - I did get some pics out on the golf course
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #3437
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225 & 255's and a pair of Dinan Rear Toe Links ....

"From the mfg... The stock rear toe link is built with rubber bushings and a curved foraged alloy rod which is designed to flex. During hard acceleration this flex allows the rear wheels to have excessive toe change under hard acceleration and braking. All of this flex in the stock toe link causes the car to be unstable. Dinan stops the flex by replacing the rubber bushings with Teflon coated machined steel rod ends and the OEM curved bar with a straight billet aluminum rod, thus adding stability. The Dinan rear toe link also incorporates a hex nut shaped center to aid in the necessary fine adjustment of the toe link that is tough to achieve using the stock link."

As I am trying to preserve ride quality. I am also trying to remove that rear hop we all hate.... and hoping these two mods will make the rear less squirrely and more planted over bumps and imperfections of the road. If these don't work.. gonna go pony up for those four m3 rear sub-frame bushings.
Attached Images

2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #3438
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Going 85mph on I70 in this car feels like 55. I really gotta keep my eye on the speed.
You should set the speed alert thing if that helps. But yes, these cars are really dangerous and tempting to want to just let them out. Once you do, 85 will feel like 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225 & 255's and a pair of Dinan Rear Toe Links ....
Can't wait to hear what you think of both. I don't know anybody that has put in those toe links or haven't read about it. And you get more Dinan points!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3439
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Can't wait to hear what you think of both. I don't know anybody that has put in those toe links or haven't read about it. And you get more Dinan points!
lol, do not need those points... I already have the badge.. wink**
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #3440
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Fun update for everyone, or at least those who care:

My new wheel locks have arrived, so that'll be taken care of today or tomorrow and then it looks like I'll have the performance suspension put on next Wednesday at HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara. Should be a fun 100 mile drive home on the new suspension and then a few days later I'll be getting an alignment and oil change at the dealer. I feel like a kid at christmas!
Well it's about time! Of course, nobody is anticipating the installation of your perf suspension more than you, but still wish we didn't have to wait until Thursday to hear your first impressions!

Quote:
No. I didn't wanna be "that guy" taking pics of his car on vacation. But, I've had it here at the hotel and the valets and guests all turn their heads and look when they hear the cold start.

I've got the radar detector warning me at 80mph and the car warning me at 90mph. Need to get this beast onto the Mid Ohio track and let her run free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post

As I am trying to preserve ride quality. I am also trying to remove that rear hop we all hate.... and hoping these two mods will make the rear less squirrely and more planted over bumps and imperfections of the road. If these don't work.. gonna go pony up for those four m3 rear sub-frame bushings.
Let us know how the rear toe links work out! Remind us... have you already installed a set of rear subframe bushing inserts?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #3441
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I better like it! Spent too much time and money researching and buying everything. I'll MAKE myself like it. =P
I know what you mean! I literally read everything I could find on it for years. Googled it like a 100 times, read everything about it on 1addicts and everywhere I could, watched Dan@United's YouTube videos, even emailed Dan a couple times when he still worked at United BMW. Still didn't know if I wanted it and then 1 day in the shower I told myself "I'm gonna buy it" and forced myself to. That was in October of 2013. Then I couldn't make the decision to have it installed. "What if I don't like it? what if something goes wrong with the install (read posts about things going wrong)? I really like my car the way it is now!" I almost sold it on EBay. Then finally in June of 2014 I decided to take a chance and have it installed. Everything went perfect and I'm happy with it and I did all that worrying for nothing - the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #3442
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
I know what you mean! I literally read everything I could find on it for years. Googled it like a 100 times, read everything about it on 1addicts and everywhere I could, watched Dan@United's YouTube videos, even emailed Dan a couple times when he still worked at United BMW. Still didn't know if I wanted it and then 1 day in the shower I told myself "I'm gonna buy it" and forced myself to. That was in October of 2013. Then I couldn't make the decision to have it installed. "What if I don't like it? what if something goes wrong with the install (read posts about things going wrong)? I really like my car the way it is now!" I almost sold it on EBay. Then finally in June of 2014 I decided to take a chance and have it installed. Everything went perfect and I'm happy with it and I did all that worrying for nothing - the end.
You and Greg related?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #3443
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
You and Greg related?
Definitely SOUNDS like a me thing, though I also polled/interviewed/deposed/interrogated about 5 forum members with it or service techs who have driven it to get as much info as possible. I ain't gonna wait on the install though. I paid for it, it's going ON ASAP! I'm sure I'll love it...or learn to love it like my russian mail order bride, Tatyana.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #3444
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Definitely SOUNDS like a me thing, though I also polled about 5 forum members with it or service techs who have driven it to get as much info. I ain't gonna wait on the install though. I paid for it, it's going ON ASAP! I'm sure I'll love it...or learn to love it like my russian mail order bride, Tatyana.
I have no doubt you'll love it - especially with those Michelin PSS. Hey, you going to get a set of those cool yellow performance calipers to have installed at the same time? That's the only thing you'll be missing.....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #3445
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I have no doubt you'll love it - especially with those Michelin PSS. Hey, you going to get a set of those cool yellow performance calipers to have installed at the same time? That's the only thing you'll be missing.....
In retrospect, I probably SHOULD have just gotten the full performance brake kit with the yellow calipers, but I didn't want to steal owen2001's thunder, so I'll let him be the only IS with those.

I'm sure I'll love it too as I haven't spoken with a single person who has the performance suspension who either regrets it or seems to have one bad thing to say about it. Seems like all positive improvements with no real tradeoffs.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #3446
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You and Greg related?
Not that I know of although I was born and raised in L.A.! I may have OCD but I'm not yet compelled to polish the inside of my exhaust tips!

Last edited by Esteban; 07-04-2014 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #3447
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Not that I know of although I was born and raised in L.A.! I may have OCD but I'm not yet compelled to polish the inside of my exhaust tips!
... or install some PPK stickers...

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #3448
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I'll have you know that I did not POLISH the inside of my exhaust tips, I merely cleaned them. However, with that being said, in a couple of weeks when I fully detail my car, per Kouper's recommendation, I did buy a tube of P21S and WILL be polishing them. =)

http://www.detailersdomain.com/P21S-...lish_p_67.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post

And, the PPK badge is still sitting on my desk...though in part because I'm so OCD I can't get it exactly where I want and am worried it won't be lined up just right, perfectly symmetrical, etc. But also, because I didn't want to put the PPK badge on and then get the Dinan stage 2. =P
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #3449
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post

So glad to see you write that. I thought I was the only one giving him a hard time about the PPK badge. Especially since I went to all that trouble to get him one and he just lets it sit on his desk for 6 months...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #3450
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
So glad to see you write that. I thought I was the only one giving him a hard time about the PPK badge. Especially since I went to all that trouble to get him one and he just lets it sit on his desk for 6 months...
Maybe I like having it on my desk to look at longingly, reminding me of the sheer, raw power that lurks downstairs underneath the hood of my beloved automobile. If I had it in the engine bay, I would never see it and bask in its infinite beauty and understated elegance and thus it might be wasted. That work? Or I'm just too afraid I'll put it on crooked. Either/or.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #3451
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

So I picked up my new wheel lock key at 8am this morning. I thought they got a whole new set, but was literally just the new key in a lil plastic baggy. Why the service department is open on the 4th of July is beyond me, as well as how they can charge "about $350" for an alignment when I asked. Um, I have a coupon at another dealer for $179, but thanks!

Couple other things this morning - how ANYBODY can keep these frickin cars under 80 on complete wide open freeways is beyond me. Tis a rarity here in LA to have almost no cars out on the roads and I came close to just punching it and letting her loose, then came to my senses.

Also, the dealer had a new M4 on the showroom floor, so I took a look at that and sat in it. My lord that car is HUUUUUGE. It's just unbelievably gigantic and feels it. Sitting in it, the seats are great, but again, it feels huge. I felt like I'd shrunk or something as everything is so wide and long in there. From the side, I swear, it doesn't look that different than a 4 series and is rather plain/boring. I guess I've swung to the camp of the M3 looks better cause its wheel arches appear more flared. I also couldn't believe that an $86k car doesn't have a power telescoping steering wheel adjustment. Not a fan of the black wheels either, but that's me. After sitting in it for a few minutes, I was more than happy to get back into my small, quaint, simple car and haul ass home. Here are a few pics in case anyone wanted to see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #3452
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
So I picked up my new wheel lock key at 8am this morning. I thought they got a whole new set, but was literally just the new key in a lil plastic baggy. Why the service department is open on the 4th of July is beyond me, as well as how they can charge "about $350" for an alignment when I asked. Um, I have a coupon at another dealer for $179, but thanks!

Couple other things this morning - how ANYBODY can keep these frickin cars under 80 on complete wide open freeways is beyond me. Tis a rarity here in LA to have almost no cars out on the roads and I came close to just punching it and letting her loose, then came to my senses.

Also, the dealer had a new M4 on the showroom floor, so I took a look at that and sat in it. My lord that car is HUUUUUGE. It's just unbelievably gigantic and feels it. Sitting in it, the seats are great, but again, it feels huge. I felt like I'd shrunk or something as everything is so wide and long in there. I couldn't believe that an $86k car doesn't have a power telescoping steering wheel adjustment thing, but okay. I also hate the black wheels, but that's me. After sitting in it for a few minutes, I was happy to get back into my small, quaint, simple car and haul ass home. Here are a few pics in case anyone wanted to see.
$86k = eek
too big = eek
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #3453
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
$86k = eek
too big = eek
You seen one yet? I swear, all their cars are way too big and so you have to go down a series to get the proper, old size. Example - looking at a new 535i, it's massive and looks to be a 7 series size to me. The M4 looks like a new rendition of the M6.

Point is, keep your car forever! Every new car I get in reminds me that these are keepers. And on that note, off to get a crappy rental car for the day for the 4th.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #3454
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
You seen one yet? I swear, all their cars are way too big and so you have to go down a series to get the proper, old size. Example - looking at a new 535i, it's massive and looks to be a 7 series size to me. The M4 looks like a new rendition of the M6.

Point is, keep your car forever! Every new car I get in reminds me that these are keepers. And on that note, off to get a crappy rental car for the day for the 4th.
no haven't seen it in person yet. really like the M3 in photos.....disliked the M4 even in the photos! I'm sure they are huge as you're saying......Everytime i see a 4-series i think it looks HUGE so the M4 must look even bigger.....
Appreciate 0