BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #3587
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
lol! a cop?? wtf! ok I will look out for Leslie. so did you get 228s only? did they have any 235s? thanks for the heads up!
You only autocross the 228 and they make you keep it in comfort mode. BLAH! If you want to drive the M235 or M3 you have to pay the $600 for the car control clinic. Save your money and spend it on an actual school or track day
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #3588
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg180 View Post
You only autocross the 228 and they make you keep it in comfort mode. BLAH! If you want to drive the M235 or M3 you have to pay the $600 for the car control clinic. Save your money and spend it on an actual school or track day
comfort mode!?!?! WTF! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #3589
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
comfort mode!?!?! WTF! lol
Discreetly tap the button lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #3590
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Greg and I were talking about PPK badges and if I got them and where I put them. He also expressed concern that if his car didn't have a PPK badge could a BMW tech accidentally erase his PPK software. I have heard other "is" owners express the same concern and I wanted to report here what a BMW tech told me. He said that before they do any work on your car they check the VIN to see what software you have so they will never erase the PPK software. So if you didn't get your badges, don't worry about your PPK software because it's checked through your VIN.

I understand just wanting them to display though because I want my badges also. Unfortunately, when I got PPK installed the tech put them on for me so I didn't get the opportunity to place them where I wanted to.
      07-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #3591
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Greg and I were talking about PPK badges and if I got them and where I put them. He also expressed concern that if his car didn't have a PPK badge could a BMW tech accidentally erase his PPK software. I have heard other "is" owners express the same concern and I wanted to report here what a BMW tech told me. He said that before they do any work on your car they check the VIN to see what software you have so they will never erase the PPK software. So if you didn't get your badges, don't worry about your PPK software because it's checked through your VIN.

I understand just wanting them to display though because I want my badges also. Unfortunately, when I got PPK installed the tech put them on for me so I didn't get the opportunity to place them where I wanted to.
Good info. Thanks for sharing. Where did your badges/stickers get placed?
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #3592
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Good info. Thanks for sharing. Where did your badges/stickers get placed?
They placed the metal one that says "BMW Performance Power Kit" on the inside of my hood. Above that is the one that says "Attention, BMW Performance POWER KIT installed, Replace spark plugs after 45,000 miles". Below the metal one is a sticker that says when it was installed and the dealer/tech who installed it.
      07-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #3593
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
As a BMW technician, it's impossible to "not program" the car with the PPK. The power kit is written to the car's VO (vehicle order) and can only be altered by BMW NA or a TSE rep (who isn't at the dealership). If you're car has the PPK now or is an "is" car, the power kit will always be there
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #3594
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
As a BMW technician, it's impossible to "not program" the car with the PPK. The power kit is written to the car's VO (vehicle order) and can only be altered by BMW NA or a TSE rep (who isn't at the dealership). If you're car has the PPK now or is an "is" car, the power kit will always be there
That's what the tech told me… or was it was my service advisor... now I'm not positive... It was definitely one of them… I don't remember now… thought it was the tech… must… put... the bong down... short term memory is going... going…

Wait… why… am… I… talking… like… this?

Last edited by Esteban; 07-17-2014 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #3595
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Washed the car first time in weeks although it got a little dusty overnight sitting in my garage. Also first time (I think) I'm posting pics with the CF diffuser & spoiler, and side profile showing the Michelin PSS 225/255's

Messing with cheesy special effects via iPhone =P

Last edited by 3002 tii; 07-18-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #3596
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
By the way, I'm sure some of you know I record my track days via my GoPro (YouTube link in sig) but I always hated how the wind noise would drown everything out. So I finally ordered an external microphone and figured what better way to test it out than recording the beautiful exhaust notes of our 135is?? N55 + PPK v2 + Performance Exhaust + DCT downshifts = awesomeness.

(For those wondering why it's not wide angle, I used the narrow vision and cropped out my head lol)

07-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #3597
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
By the way, I'm sure some of you know I record my track days via my GoPro (YouTube link in sig) but I always hated how the wind noise would drown everything out. So I finally ordered an external microphone and figured what better way to test it out than recording the beautiful exhaust notes of our 135is?? N55 + PPK v2 + Performance Exhaust + DCT downshifts = awesomeness.
Wow! That's an awesome video to capture the experience and essence of our cars. Where/how'd you mount the go pro? Is it suction cup mounted to the sunroof or one of those on a bar attached to the headrest poles?

Also, the side shot picture of your car isn't showing up above and I desperately want to see the 225/255 PSS profile shot. Car looks and sounds amazing though.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #3598
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Wow! That's an awesome video to capture the experience and essence of our cars. Where/how'd you mount the go pro? Is it suction cup mounted to the sunroof or one of those on a bar attached to the headrest poles?

Also, the side shot picture of your car isn't showing up above and I desperately want to see the 225/255 PSS profile shot. Car looks and sounds amazing though.
Fixed the link, let me know if that comes through.

I have a cruisecam mount, which basically hooks onto the headrest bars. I then purchased a GoPro tripod adapter to mount the GoPro onto the standard 1/4"-20 screw.

The GoPro 3 unfortunately did away with the mic port and requires a mini-usb to audio cable converter. So I purchased that + 9ft audio cable extension. The microphone was mounted to the bumper using a suction mount

Lastly, I purchased a mic cover to further block out the noise. The hardware quickly adds up $$$ but I honestly think it's worth it. I messed around with weeks using different DIY adapters, cheap mice, etc and none of them even came close to this.
      07-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #3599
owen2001
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:

+1. Great video. Really cool. Sounds incredible. I might try doing something like this with my car. Thanks for posting.
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #3600
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your car looks great! I have LMB also and the CF diffuser and spoiler give your car a real menacing look!

As you said, the sound is nothing short of AWESOMENESS! I've watched and listened to a lot of videos of N55 and PPK and PE but yours really captures the greatness of that combo to a T! The closest thing I've heard yet to actually being there!

Thanks for sharing this with us. It is certainly worth your efforts.

Last edited by Esteban; 07-18-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #3601
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Wow sounds amazing...its crazy how different the sound is upshifting compared to my 6 speed, btw the downshifts on DCT are to die for.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #3602
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

(For those wondering why it's not wide angle, I used the narrow vision and cropped out my head lol)
Hey, your head did sneak in there once or twice!

Wow, that DCT downshift sounds very cool. Wish I was that good with my 6 MT!
Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #3603
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Fixed the link, let me know if that comes through.

I have a cruisecam mount, which basically hooks onto the headrest bars. I then purchased a GoPro tripod adapter to mount the GoPro onto the standard 1/4"-20 screw.

The GoPro 3 unfortunately did away with the mic port and requires a mini-usb to audio cable converter. So I purchased that + 9ft audio cable extension. The microphone was mounted to the bumper using a suction mount

Lastly, I purchased a mic cover to further block out the noise. The hardware quickly adds up $$$ but I honestly think it's worth it. I messed around with weeks using different DIY adapters, cheap mice, etc and none of them even came close to this.
Wow! As if I needed any more reason to get a GoPro, somebody has figured out the microphone solution! Great job!!! I may wait until the GoPro4 comes out, but it's good do know there are microphone solutions that allow us to capture the exhaust sound even with the camera inside the car.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #3604
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My wife drove my 135is (6 MT) yesterday for the first time, while her car was in for service (the 135 is an extra, so she never really has a "need" to drive it).

I get a text from her a couple hours later: "I like your convertible. Vroom, vroom!!"

Uh oh....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #3605
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Washed the car first time in weeks although it got a little dusty overnight sitting in my garage. Also first time (I think) I'm posting pics with the CF diffuser & spoiler, and side profile showing the Michelin PSS 225/255's
Looking great!!! Love the Lemans Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
My wife drove my 135is (6 MT) yesterday for the first time, while her car was in for service (the 135 is an extra, so she never really has a "need" to drive it).

I get a text from her a couple hours later: "I like your convertible. Vroom, vroom!!"

Uh oh....
Yeah... uh oh is right... with much more seat time she may take a liking to the 135is and soon you'll be driving her CUV!

My wife drove one of the 135is's belonging to the BMW Performance Center last August and loved it. She was having enough fun to end up having at least one wheel leave the pavement!

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #3606
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post

Uh oh....
Wow, that's pretty cool though that your wife can actually drive stick, though scary that she seemed to enjoy it so much. Um, she did come back with it at some point, right?

And I thought I'd share some pics from this morning as I stared longingly at my car as i walked up to it in a target parking lot. I was admiring the seemingly more aggressive stance, which is so subtle, I've hardly noticed it. I was trying to take a picture the exact moment it was apparent to me, but someone decided to go the long and wrong way around down my aisle and forced me out of standing there. Enjoy nonetheless and I will be washing and probably spray waxing my car tomorrow, dressing the tires, and taking some more pics with my fancy new digital camera. Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #3607
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I thought I'd share some pics from this morning as I stared longingly at my car as i walked up to it in a target parking lot. I was admiring the seemingly more aggressive stance, which is so subtle, I've hardly noticed it. I was trying to take a picture the exact moment it was apparent to me, but someone decided to go the long and wrong way around down my aisle and forced me out of standing there. Enjoy nonetheless and I will be washing and probably spray waxing my car tomorrow, dressing the tires, and taking some more pics with my fancy new digital camera. Stay tuned!
Looks great Greg! It never gets old walking up to these cars... but it's hard to walk away without turning around to look!

In the spirit of spreading some Saturday love for Mineral Grey and the 135is, here's a couple of shots I took last weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #3608
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty cool though that your wife can actually drive stick, though scary that she seemed to enjoy it so much. Um, she did come back with it at some point, right?

Your car looks great, Greg! Looks very subtly lower to me.

In the interest of fair representation of Alpine White and convertibles, I was going to add a picture of mine but all I got was a blur as my wife backed out of the driveway and chirped second gear going down the street! Kidding, but I also think it's cool that she can drive a manual trans -- in fact the first new car she bought was a stick and the second car she bought was a MT Miata. So..I'll keep my eye on the car and the keys!

And maybe I can find a cool place to get some pictures, since convertibles are so poorly represented around here. Time for another drive down Highway 1....
Appreciate 0