E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The WORST Day Of My Life!!

01-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #23
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I don't think there is a mechanic in the world who can restore Milehigh's attachment to that car. If so, Milehigh's dad must have been Spock. Let's hope the dealer can pull a few strings and get him a new car ASAP. Perhaps negotiate a loaner in the interim.

I have had two bad dealer interactions. First was the oil drain plug not being properly tightened. Lost all the oil doing 80 and seized the engine (Honda civic station wagon). Second was being promised a new car, selling my car, and then at the last minute being told that they sold it and we would have to wait a month. They ended up renting a car for us.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #24
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Milehigh did not suggest firing the tech -- that was govtec.
I thought his letter to Gebhardt was pretty decent, under the circumstances. The only rash acts were pulling the financing and check, and under the situation of not being able to talk to anyone, that seems reasonable. I guess the time of day on the delivery prevented calling the dealership when the warning light came on?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #25
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

yeah, I was talking about govetec's 'fire the mechanic comment"

I thought Milehigh's letter was very professional under these circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 02:03 PM   #26
b1mmer2
Private
Rep
Drives: Black/Black E90 manual/sport

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
That story reminds me of the time when I picked my highly anticipated E46 few years ago. As soon as I parked at my house I smelled gazoline. I looked under the car and found that gaz is leaking and not just leaking but it's like a river from gaz tank. BMW service was closed by that time (late night). I contacted BMW roadside assistance and BMW USA customer service. Nothing they could do till nearest service open doors in the morning. I had to contact local fire department so they put some absorb material under the car and waited till morning. Luckily the local BMW service (BMW of Sterling) treated me and the car well. They came to my house in the morning and gave me 525 sport/manual loaner and took the new E46 with them. Few days later the problem was fixed and they agreed to cover expenses for asphalt surface replacement since it was damaged by lots of gaz (the tank was almost full when I got home).
So it all depends on local BMW service and how they treat customers. I know for sure BMW USA service does not give a shit about customer problems as they always refer to local service and dealer and state that they have very limited control over them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Man I would definitely tell them to give me a new car too. That's unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #28
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

shouldn't the car be taken to 3rd party for damage assessment since it was dealer action that caused it? any new updates yet dude?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
Milehigh E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

7PM 1/21 UPDATE!

So, this has been a tense day, both for me, my attorney and the dealer. Here’s a quick update from today:

I met with the dealership management at about 8:45 this morning (before they opened). The manager was really upset! They have agreed to order me a NEW 330xi if that’s what I choose! How cool is that?

I’ve talked to my attorney and so far the dealership is doing everything that they can and that I want, so I really have no issues as far as this side of things goes.

I’ve also talked to a good friend that is a “master mechanic” for a BMW dealership in California and he says “The chances that something catastrophic has occurred is only about a 4 in 10 chance...” it sounds like BMW has done a good job at making sure that if the oil level were to dip too low that the car would simply turn off to protect itself. COOL!

Since all of this has happened I’ve put the following proposal forward for the dealership to consider:

1. Inspect the vehicle and insure that the oil sump did NOT suck in any air. If it did NOT, then certify in writing that everything looks ok at this point and document this in my BMW service file. We WILL NEVER know for sure what damage has been done!

2. Have the oil changed and replace ALL filters including the air filter, that air filter housing looks to be soaked in oil. Steam clean the engine compartment and replace the BMW hood mat under the hood as it too is oil soaked. These items would have to be done even if I didn’t purchase this car, the next owner certainly wouldn’t accept the car in its present condition.

3. Extend the BMW certified warranty to 100,000 miles to cover everything, 100%. This is the ONLY protection I have if anything were to go wrong down the line at 88,000 miles. BMW should be able to help you out here and the warrantees don’t really cost that much to begin with, I know because I’ve sold more than my fair share of extended warranties.

4. I plan on purchasing several more accessories, and as we ALL know accessories have a better than 50% mark-up in them, so give me a $2000 Gebhardt credit. This will only really cost Gebhardt about $1000.

5. Have the car cleaned, detailed, the CD changer software updated so that the changer WORKS and ready on YOUR SHOWROOM FLOOR for me to pickup when I get back from Texas.

I don't feel that I’m being unreasonable here considering the circumstances. I’m only asking that there be a FAIR consideration to the fact that I have been inconvenienced; I DON’T have a car and I have canceled a ski trip for today just to deal with this and that the pleasure of owning a NEW BMW has been shot.

Th dealer wants to look at the car first thing on Monday and get back to me, but I feel that I’m being reasonable. The plain fact of the matter is that this may or may not be the fault of the dealer, I guess something “could” have broken lose, but it seems doubtful. I’ve also asked that the person who may have messed up here NOT be fired. Its not fair, we’ve all messed up and this should not cost the guy his job. If all of this comes together the actual cost to the dealer will be in the $2000 range. If they wanted to maybe they could ask the person who may have messed up here to pay like maybe $500 of the out of pocket to the dealership.

Pictures to follow maybe later tonight.
Also I appreciate all the support from everyone on the forum! I want to make it clear that again I’ve made it clear to the dealership that the person in question should NOT lose their job!
      01-21-2006, 08:27 PM   #30
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm glad you said that.( the guy not to get fired) I wonder if they will discipline him anyway...
      01-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #31
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

They may have made a judgment mistake and put a gofer on the job of filling the fluids instead of a tech (bonafide mechanic). Sounds like you all are getting things worked out, congrats. What was the excuse of your sales rep for not going over the car properly with you?

A 40% chance of "catastrophic" damage? What about minor damage that you should not have to put up with, like, oh don't get me started or it will be nightmares for all. As bitter a pill as it may be to swallow, I think I would ask for a new car unless they come up with a very good report.

I suppose you could take it on condition they will give you a hell of a deal on a 335 or M3 in a year...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #32
wantmye90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330

You should probably not take a position with the dealer over whether he should fire or not fire his employee. That's entirely the dealer's perogative, and pushing your opinions like that will only make the dealer think he's dealing with an unreasonable customer. You need focus only on your problem - the car, and let the dealer deal with his.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #33
Milehigh E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90
You should probably not take a position with the dealer over whether he should fire or not fire his employee. That's entirely the dealer's perogative, and pushing your opinions like that will only make the dealer think he's dealing with an unreasonable customer. You need focus only on your problem - the car, and let the dealer deal with his.

Just my opinion.
Great point! My only thinking in this was that we've all made mistakes and that letting the guy go would only make thinks (in my mind) worst. I feel that making the person pay some of the cost to the dealership is the BEST deturent for future issues with this person!
      01-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #34
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Maybe the computer would retain a fault for low oil, or if it did suck air, a low oil pressure indication. It's hard to believe the dealer would own up to a low oil pressure indication though. Can't hurt to ask if the computer retains the information. If it does, hopefully it would show Low Oil, but no Low Oil Pressure, and they could show you the faults readout.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #35
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

The car would have thrown a warning nearly instantly if there was a low oil pressure event monitored by the DME. That sort of thing requires IMMEDIATE engine shutdown so it isn't like the DME is going to get a fault like that and just squirrel it away in memory somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #36
sheppardk
Rep
Drives: 06 325XiT

It could be worse.

Of course this sucks, but if this is the worst day of your life you have had a great life.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #37
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmye90

Just my opinion.
I agree. Don't even mention the individual responsible. As far as you are concerned the GM of the dealership is the person responsible. Everything else is his headache. Saying "don't fire him" implies that you have a say either way - which you don't. How do you know it's not the fifth time he's made a bad mistake? Or how do you know he's not the owner's nephew? You don't. Just don't go there - you don't care either way.

Best of luck. We've all given our opinions and we all feel for you. I hope you get the satisfaction that makes you happy.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #38
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
The car would have thrown a warning nearly instantly if there was a low oil pressure event monitored by the DME. That sort of thing requires IMMEDIATE engine shutdown so it isn't like the DME is going to get a fault like that and just squirrel it away in memory somewhere...
Are you sure the engine shuts off by itself?

I take it a exclamation point for low oil doesn't mean no oil pressure. Is there a different warning for low oil pressure?

It sounds like no damage was done then.
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 09:57 PM   #39
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
glad everything is working out good for you so far. hey, where in thornton are you? i was just there last week as i mention that i went to the broncos game. my uncle owns the restaurant called chan's inn on 120th. ever heard of it? hope everything work out for you monday, good luck dude.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #40
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

WOW just read everything, tough situation.

I don't believe your proposal is unreasonable and if that is what would make you happy then I believe it is a good solution.

Any pics?

Let us know how it works out! Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #41
Milehigh E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
glad everything is working out good for you so far. hey, where in thornton are you? i was just there last week as i mention that i went to the broncos game. my uncle owns the restaurant called chan's inn on 120th. ever heard of it? hope everything work out for you monday, good luck dude.
Oh hell ya! I've eaten there several time. He's at 120th and Colorado, I live about 6 blocks from there.
You in town this weekend for the BIG game? Should be a good one, I'll be there becasue I have season tickets! At this point a win by Denver is about all that can put me back in a good mood!
GO DENVER :rocks: !!!
      01-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #42
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

good to hear everything's going relatively smooth, hopefully a deal with work out in the end that's satifactory to you!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #43
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

so, which option did u take? 1. order new car or 2. 5 bullet point proposal.

sounds very reasonable from what u listed. who was the manager upset with, his people, u or ur attorney? glad they were receptive to what u had to say.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #44
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh E90
Oh hell ya! I've eaten there several time. He's at 120th and Colorado, I live about 6 blocks from there.
You in town this weekend for the BIG game? Should be a good one, I'll be there becasue I have season tickets! At this point a win by Denver is about all that can put me back in a good mood!
GO DENVER :rocks: !!!
i wish i was. if i was in town i wont be checking out the forum. i am going to be home watching the game. i will have all my broncos gear on. including the briefs i bought last weekend when i was in denver. gO brOncOs!!!
Appreciate 0