BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

1M Power Side Mirror sometimes wont work

Yesterday my side mirror was pulled by something (in close position)

So the whole day constantly i went to the car unlock it.. and then close / open the side mirror to see if its okay... (im ocd)

but then at late night.. i was going to check.. in the beginning it was fine but after twice / third time it wont work.. (mirror adjustment works fine tho).. i tried to start the car to see if it will work.. but still it wont.. turned off the car and tried to lock and unlock the car..for a brief moment then it work.. (im pretty sure unlock and lock is not the solution)

again after a while i was getting more curious about this, so decided to try again.. after the second time.. it wont close and same condition.. i tried to start the car.. still wont work... a moment later it work again..

is this because i constantly open / close the power side mirror without starting the car or even plugging the key?
should i be worried..
is this because the car wasnt running and did not have electrical supply?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Just an update.. I tried again but this time by starting the car.. yet did not find any trouble for thjrd time.. then suddenly again I don't work..
But after several minutes, it works just fine..
Is this because I did not drive the car since then?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

I just figured out something in a period I tried 5-6 times open and closing it.. and then suddenly it will disfunction for several minutes.. then it will work again..

What happen was I tried it also to My E92 and figured out the same thing.. that I tried to operate open/close for 5-6 times and boom, it didn't work..
Wait for few minutes then it work normally (tried to start the engine too but won't work again)..

So I was wondering did the. BMW computer was programmed that if it happens for the side mirror to open and close many times constantly it will disfunction the system for several minutes? .. to prevent (like buttons was stuck so it keeps opening n closing)..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
ThumpersM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

If it doesn't work when you need it , then there might be something wrong. Yes the control module will shut the motor down after multiple uses in a short period of time to protect the electrical motor. I am sure everything is fine ,enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpers1M View Post
If it doesn't work when you need it , then there might be something wrong. Yes the control module will shut the motor down after multiple uses in a short period of time to protect the electrical motor. I am sure everything is fine ,enjoy your car!
alright.. i see i see thanks so much for the help and info...
Appreciate 0