BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
barrym
Rep
Drives: bmw

When are details of new BMW Model Year reported?

Obviously there's an official BMW announcement as well as speculation that usually builds up a few month before ..but what's the general rule in Aus about new model year build dates ? I always through they started production of new years models in Sept, arriving around Nov (therefore would expect MY2010 to be announced around Aug) ..is this about right?

thanks anybody who can help ..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Are you talking about updates, LCI or remodel?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
barrym
Rep

Good point ..I suppose I'm secretly looking for them to announce M-DCT for 2010 model, starting with production in Sept this year
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Good luck. I guess if you are really holding off your purchase because of the DCT. Please don't wait. I have the same feeling for the 135 as you before I order.

I have tested a lot of the double clutch gearbox. I have tested the Golf GTi, R32... semi impressive. Then the new Lexus IS-F... then the 135. I decided to order it.

Yes the 135 is slightly slower, but it does a very good job.

It does such a good job that when I tested a series of PDK from Porsche yesterday. They talk it so high up and it is the premium sports car making a double clutch gear box and it must be good.

Yes it is very good, but is that really that much different from the automatic they have in the 135i. Hmm I doubt it will be THAT much of a difference. It is certainly different then the Cayenne "steptronic" though. The 135 is much much closer to the PDK than the steptronic.

Now I just have to try DCT and the current 135 back to back.
      04-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

If you are going to get the auto, then the 135i (and the 335i of course) has the best auto I have ever driven. Since I am not that good with the manual (yet), I think anyone driving the auto will go faster than me. Compare to the DCT on the 335i, it is definitely faster, and the way it doesn't lose power as you switch gears is really amazing. You'll have to test drive both back to back to appreciate it. The 135i blips downshift as well - one of the most fun auto. The only grip I have with either is the paddle shifter - where uses push and pull to differentiate up and down shift similar to the shift stick rather than the left/right as with the M3.

Back to the answer of OP, as far as I know they'll announce it pretty much close to when the next order is due. There probably won't be much press coverage on something like the DCT on the 135i. If the MY10 is going to have a September Production, then I would say the August order would have the updated specs.

There is no guarantee that the DCT is going to ever go the 135i though, but being a Sport model, I guess there would be a good chance, especially it's another way for them to charge more for an auto. The fact that the 335i got the just before the LCI makes it promising, as well as the SMG just before the remodel a few years ago.

I hope that helps .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
barrym
Rep

thanks again guys ..this info is really helpful. I didnt realise the current 6 sp auto blipped - that's REALLY cool as its one advantage that a good manual driver gets when they can rev match to help smooth downshifts and not lose momentum / smoothness etc ..I suck at this in a manual and I think i'm too old to both learning now given that the technology can arguably do it for you (even though for some stick-shift purist they would argue it takes the fun out) - in saying that if its good enough for F1 then I don't feel so embarrassed about driving auto plus my wife cant drive stick so needs to be an auto anyway ...

it sounds like the standard auto is really really good ... and not much of a disadvantage over latest DCT (and lets face it DCT is first gen so gremlins will exist I suspect)

I suppose the only thing that would piss me off is that if place order in around a month, with delivery in August - then find announcement that DCT is coming ....

Decisions / decisions - I'm not in big hurry so perhaps patience will reward
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Read my thread...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=240868&page=5

Do it now or you wait too long getting as frustrated as I am. I have forced them to build the car ASAP, but still waiting for more than 4 months (1 month extra because I missed the first build period). I prob going to BMW Melbourne at lunch time to vent my anger and have a nice coffee from Leah.

If you order today, I will not think you are getting one until Sept. Honest.
      04-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

what if they don't have DCT, are you going to wait another year? And then August came, and you know your delivery is going to be in December, so you wait another month... you really wanted it to be 10 compliant.. and then you thought about it again.. you want to have it 10 built.. the dealer for somehow missed your order that month (or they just sold yours to someone else), then you'll have to wait another month. And then Prixcar strikes again.. so you don't get your car in June 10. Two months later, they announced LCI for September built...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
barrym
Rep

yep. good points I know. But it is $90k 'investment' and I'm in no particular hurry, so would prefer to see what gets announced in August. Also ..I want BMW to fit the Performance Engine KIt as part of delivery ..(rather than take it back for retro fit) ... and they are saying Q3 for that ... so Sept/Oct/Nov works ok for me right now ..an no dount they'll do something to 2010 to make it better as they have competition around the corner such as R20 etc ...we;ll see.

Also - sounds like Coral Red interier is popular - must admit it just looks fantastic. you guys also seem to all have sunroof ... did any of you think about deleting/foregoing just in case you ever wanted to turn this into serious track car? perhaps its the 80/20 rule where 80% of time its a rapid commuter and 20% just a bit of fun on track - therefore sunroof is ok ?!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

barrym,
I'm interested in your comment about the BMW Performance Exhaust. It was my understanding that BMW was not going to release it in Oz. the reason I was given (by BMW Sydney, which is owned by BMW Aust) is that it didn't pass ADR's because of the noise level.

FYI - probably stating the obvoius, but if you have the exhaust (or any other bits and pieces) installed before delivery, unless you make special arrangements with the dealer to invoice you separately, the cost of the extras will attract the 30% luxuary car tax.-- They'll be more expensive.

There may be some kind of offeset to the extra cost from the dealer, but that'd also need to be negotiated.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I did not order a sunroof on my AW 135i. I have enough problems with skin cancer without promoting my head to get any more and it's not a track car either. I also personally think it looks better IMHO.
I do feel for the USA guys where they must take the sunroof because it's not an option to have it deleted and many seemed to have not wanted it just like me.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I also didn't order sunroof for several reasons.
1. cost
2. weight (up high too). I will be tracking
3. clearance for helmet
4. corrosion issues down the track when the drain tubes become blocked with dust & debris - as they inevitably seem to do in my experience
5. structural integrity & strength.

Last edited by TimMc; 04-29-2009 at 04:28 AM.. Reason: spelling :(
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

I have a sunroof and still managed to do ok in the Dutton Rally last year. Honestly I don't think any of us are at a level where the weight will make an appreciable difference.

One thing to be aware of though is that you might have issues wearing a helmet with a sunroof if you are 6ft or above.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I did not order a sunroof on my AW 135i. I have enough problems with skin cancer without promoting my head to get any more and it's not a track car either. I also personally think it looks better IMHO.
I do feel for the USA guys where they must take the sunroof because it's not an option to have it deleted and many seemed to have not wanted it just like me.
Can I recommend you for a skin cancer council approved window tint?

http://www.uvshield.com.au/
      05-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrym View Post
yep. good points I know. But it is $90k 'investment' and I'm in no particular hurry, so would prefer to see what gets announced in August. Also ..I want BMW to fit the Performance Engine KIt as part of delivery ..(rather than take it back for retro fit) ... and they are saying Q3 for that ... so Sept/Oct/Nov works ok for me right now ..an no dount they'll do something to 2010 to make it better as they have competition around the corner such as R20 etc ...we;ll see.

Also - sounds like Coral Red interier is popular - must admit it just looks fantastic. you guys also seem to all have sunroof ... did any of you think about deleting/foregoing just in case you ever wanted to turn this into serious track car? perhaps its the 80/20 rule where 80% of time its a rapid commuter and 20% just a bit of fun on track - therefore sunroof is ok ?!

It would be in your best interest to get the performance upgrade retrofitted. The 135i is really fast, you probably won't be able to tell if you got the extra 20hp or not until unless you were already used to the stock speed - not that bmw would rip you off anyway. It would just give allow for you to appreciate the extra power. Just my 5 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:27 AM   #16
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I didn't get the sunroof either, besides the other issues already stated, I just thought it was money spent on something I would barely use. And agree with Oldman, I think it looks better without.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #17
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I also didn't order sunroof for several reasons.
1. cost
2. weight (up high too). I will be tracking
3. clearance for helmet
4. corrosion issues down the track when the drain tubes become blocked with dust & debris - as they inevitably seem to do in my experience
5. structural integrity & strength.
+1 to Tim's comments.

I also dropped any sort of Nav as I find the tech tends to get a bit dated in short order and I plan to keep my car for a while.
Appreciate 0