BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #2465
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Mineral Grey M235i in LA

Not sure if you guys have seen the review, pics, and video from the 2addicts site yet, but this dealer is only a few miles from me so I might go down and check it out, maybe even try to get a test drive. I think a 135is is the best thing to compare it to, especially in terms of engine/tune, lack of PE, and comparing the DCT to the 8-speed. I just still don't like the way it looks AT ALL, or the wheels, too. I'm not sure if I'm completely biased and views skewed because I'm now on my second 135, but the car's design just doesn't flow to me. I hate it. Would be interesting if I could get pics of my car next to it though.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946992
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2466
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Not sure if you guys have seen the review, pics, and video from the 2addicts site yet, but this dealer is only a few miles from me so I might go down and check it out, maybe even try to get a test drive. I think a 135is is the best thing to compare it to, especially in terms of engine/tune, lack of PE, and comparing the DCT to the 8-speed. I just still don't like the way it looks AT ALL, or the wheels, too. I'm not sure if I'm completely biased and views skewed because I'm now on my second 135, but the car's design just doesn't flow to me. I hate it. Would be interesting if I could get pics of my car next to it though.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946992
you GOTTA go there and take some pics with your car, man! i'd love to see the comparison. I, too, really dislike the styling of the new car. It's very generic. It has grown on me a little bit, but not too much. You should take a test drive too......make sure to post pics and a review when you get back!!!! i'd be eager to hear your impressions.

Thus far, all i've read are opinions of 3-series owners.....who like it because it's small....for us, it will be bigger than what we're used to...lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #2467
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
you GOTTA go there and take some pics with your car, man! i'd love to see the comparison. I, too, really dislike the styling of the new car. It's very generic. It has grown on me a little bit, but not too much. You should take a test drive too......make sure to post pics and a review when you get back!!!! i'd be eager to hear your impressions.

Thus far, all i've read are opinions of 3-series owners.....who like it because it's small....for us, it will be bigger than what we're used to...lol
I really dislike the design as the car doesn't seem to flow well, it's bland, and doesn't look all that different than a honda civic to me. And the crazy thing is the 3-series owners seem to bash our car non-stop, yet they are treating this M235i as the second coming. I don't get it.

I'll definitely be driving one soon and if I can get some pics of mine with the same color M235, it'd be interesting. Then again, I may not want to subject my beloved to have to even sit next to that ugly duckling. At least in mineral grey it seems to somewhat conceal its ugly rear diffuser since it then looks body-colored. Honestly, the more I think about it, look at it, etc., I almost have no desire to even go look at that M235.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #2468
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
And the crazy thing is the 3-series owners seem to bash our car non-stop, yet they are treating this M235i as the second coming. I don't get it.
i think it's because the new 2er is HEAVY like a 3-series, LOOKS like a 3-series....and is no longer the smaller, lighter, more fun version of their cars. Now it's like the deformed twin brother. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #2469
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
i think it's because the new 2er is HEAVY like a 3-series, LOOKS like a 3-series....and is no longer the smaller, lighter, more fun version of their cars. Now it's like the deformed twin brother. lol
I've got it! Our car is Arnold Schwarzenegger and the M235i is Danny Devito. Twins, only one seemed to get all the left over genes.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #2470
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't think the 2 was much heavier than the 1, thought they were pretty close if anything.
      02-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #2471
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I didn't think the 2 was much heavier than the 1, thought they were pretty close if anything.
150+ pounds heavier, according to official BMW USA specs. crazy right? the new M235i is 3500+ pounds....heavier than the new M3/M4 even.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #2472
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
150+ pounds heavier, according to official BMW USA specs. crazy right? the new M235i is 3500+ pounds....heavier than the new M3/M4 even.
Wow i had no idea. I agree about the styling of the 2, not my cup of tea at all either. It just looks like some sort of older 3 series with smaller wheels, or an elongated 1 series with less dramatic lines. The thing i love about the 1 series is its black duckling effect compared to most BMWs, and how i seem to constantly notice other (bigger) bmw owners looking down at my car, i love that about it

On another note, the 135 FINALLY got her first wash yesterday. That paint sure looks good sans salt
      02-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #2473
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
Wow i had no idea. I agree about the styling of the 2, not my cup of tea at all either. It just looks like some sort of older 3 series with smaller wheels, or an elongated 1 series with less dramatic lines. The thing i love about the 1 series is its black duckling effect compared to most BMWs, and how i seem to constantly notice other (bigger) bmw owners looking down at my car, i love that about it

On another note, the 135 FINALLY got her first wash yesterday. That paint sure looks good sans salt
yeah....the 1er is sort of like a middle finger up at all the executive class BMW drivers! lol i've always thought of the 135 as the bastard-child hooligan of the BMW lineup....which is VERY cool, really!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #2474
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

From the side I think it looks rather good, however the rounded down "f" model hood and rather flat back end look hideous. I'm a fan of the interior though, mainly I just like the new model's steering wheel. The brakes are attractive as well but the wheels are only decent at best. The colors are the main thing that I am envious over. Why couldn't we have estoril blue?
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #2475
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Oh and I've heard rumors that the 2 is faster around the ring than the 1m....anyone know if there is any truth to that?
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #2476
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep

Ok time for some more un-naturally leaning man-pics.

Just kidding. Here's my 135 all washed up which lasted about 1 hour.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #2477
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Ok time for some more un-naturally leaning man-pics.
Just kidding. Here's my 135 all washed up which lasted about 1 hour.
Looks good, though not sure what that white stuff is on the sidewalks. But aww, man, you put that front plate on already?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #2478
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep

Quote:
Looks good, though not sure what that white stuff is on the sidewalks. But aww, man, you put that front plate on already?
Thanks, heh there was quite a bit of debating on getting the skene designs plate or the one that screws in the tow hook location, but in the end I decided to go with the stock frame since the plate is gonna BE on there hiding the bumper anyway, and I didn't like the looks of the plate offset to the side.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #2479
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, heh there was quite a bit of debating on getting the skene designs plate or the one that screws in the tow hook location, but in the end I decided to go with the stock frame since the plate is gonna BE on there hiding the bumper anyway, and I didn't like the looks of the plate offset to the side.
I refuse to put one on. Got pulled over a couple months ago for it, too, so bought a US Millworks tow hook one that I have to put on in the next few days, get the sheriff to sign off on it, then it's coming right back off. O=) I'll make sure to snap a pic of my precious 1IS 4ME plate on the front for the 10 minutes it will be on there. I hate the offset look, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #2480
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i've put 400+ miles on the X1 in less than 4 days. lol.

BTW, i still don't have my 135is back...why? because i was on-call yesterday and couldn't get to the dealership. Apparently takes them a full day to figure out how the brake pedal squeaks. It also takes them one day to GET TO work on my car. Then it takes them one day to replace my rear brake pad. Why? I was getting a high-pitch squeal from my rear driver's brake disc.....when i asked them to look at it---they said the whole pad was cracked! wtf. replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2481
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
i've put 400+ miles on the X1 in less than 4 days. lol.

BTW, i still don't have my 135is back...why? because i was on-call yesterday and couldn't get to the dealership. Apparently takes them a full day to figure out how the brake pedal squeaks. It also takes them one day to GET TO work on my car. Then it takes them one day to replace my rear brake pad. Why? I was getting a high-pitch squeal from my rear driver's brake disc.....when i asked them to look at it---they said the whole pad was cracked! wtf. replaced.
Wow, well at least it's official - from coast to coast, the dealerships seem to be incompetent and great managers and valuers of both theirs and their client's time. In the meantime, enjoy the hell out of putting miles on and churning out donuts in the X1. Sadly, half the dealers would say the squeaks/squeals are normal or "within tolerances/specs" and do nothing. Or they'd say they can't replicate it even though you can't find a way to NOT replicate it.

Bet you sure miss the car, too. There's a newfound appreciation for these guys when you're forced to drive something else and you finally rejoice and get back in your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #2482
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Wow, well at least it's official - from coast to coast, the dealerships seem to be incompetent and great managers and valuers of both theirs and their client's time. In the meantime, enjoy the hell out of putting miles on and churning out donuts in the X1. Sadly, half the dealers would say the squeaks/squeals are normal or "within tolerances/specs" and do nothing. Or they'd say they can't replicate it even though you can't find a way to NOT replicate it.

Bet you sure miss the car, too. There's a newfound appreciation for these guys when you're forced to drive something else and you finally rejoice and get back in your car.
the X1 is a very nice ride....i appreciate it for what it is----a practical, family car. it's not fun and it's not that entertaining....but it does what it needs to do quite well i must say. but yeah can't wait to have the 1er back!

I was actually surprised about them actually inspecting the brake pad as well....as i was sure they were going to say "oh that's just normal from hi performance brakes"...lol. surprised they were cracked in half...UNLESS THEY cracked them by accident. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #2483
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
well well....what do we have here. not very impressed, really.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #2484
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
and so I parked them together!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #2485
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
and so I parked them together!
Doh! So wish you had your 313s on to compare. What do you think though now that you've seen it in person? Your disdain for it seems to be legendary on the forum. You should take it for a spin and see what you think. I'd bet the farm it's an 8-speed auto, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #2486
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Kick its ass Seabass!!!!!

Appreciate 0