BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Evolve R from Stage 1 to Stage 3 - Amazing!

Woah! I cannot believe the car can improve so much. I wasn't planning to review the tune for two weeks as all my previous experience found improvements after a couple of weeks of adaptation. However, the Stage 3 Evolve is a significant improvement over the Stage 1 tune, and it feels like a completely different car.

The car had Wagner FMIC, and ER charge pipe for its stage 1 tune. Stage 3 components added Akrapovic Full System, GruppeM CAI, and Forge DV. The acceleration is instantaneous, and if anything smoother and more linear than the Stage 1 tune. I haven't yet explore wot due to the heavy traffic in the past two days, but the rapid but smooth acceleration from tune compliments the new parts so well.

I have to say I am very, very happy. to the Evolve team!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have similar mods with the Evolve Stage 3 tune

ETS FMIC + Catted DPs + Akra full + AFE CAI + ER CP = so much power and sound !
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Woah! I cannot believe the car can improve so much. I wasn't planning to review the tune for two weeks as all my previous experience found improvements after a couple of weeks of adaptation. However, the Stage 3 Evolve is a significant improvement over the Stage 1 tune, and it feels like a completely different car.

The car had Wagner FMIC, and ER charge pipe for its stage 1 tune. Stage 3 components added Akrapovic Full System, GruppeM CAI, and Forge DV. The acceleration is instantaneous, and if anything smoother and more linear than the Stage 1 tune. I haven't yet explore wot due to the heavy traffic in the past two days, but the rapid but smooth acceleration from tune compliments the new parts so well.

I have to say I am very, very happy. to the Evolve team!
How much PSI does it on st.3?
st.1 - 16.5
st.2 - 18.5
st.3 - ?
As I undestood, you didn't try the st.2 upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Stage 3 = 18.5 psi.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Stage 3 = 18.5 psi.
Hm, so what is the difference with st.2?
or you are tolking about those stages, like:
st.1 - map
st.2 - map + FMIC
st.3 - map + FMIC + catless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Hm, so what is the difference with st.2?
or you are tolking about those stages, like:
st.1 - map
st.2 - map + FMIC
st.3 - map + FMIC + catless DP's?
Best to check with Imran - FMIC + exhaust is still stage 1, so I think DPs might be needed for stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Sounds good Steve. I know 'emack' in Sydney had same Akra system and the Evolve S3. Huge power for sure

No one uses their s2 that I know of. Evolve recommend staying on s1 even with an FMIC. S3 is hardcore. I wouldn't run the s3 daily, only when required at track etc. It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
Agree, but why nobody runs the st.2? It's interesting to listen the rewiev on it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
That will just give me an excuse to do something to the engine/upgrade the turbo .
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I am surprised you haven't yet ... what are you waiting for?
Federal-Mogul wouldn't sell me a part that is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
That will just give me an excuse to do something to the engine/upgrade the turbo .
Wargas st.3
http://vargasturbo.com/n54products.html
That's your next level)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
Wargas st.3
http://vargasturbo.com/n54products.html
That's your next level)
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit into our RHD cars - as the steering column is on the same side. I personally don't like a hybrid setup, but will be looking more at a bespoke version.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Hi guys!

long overdue post (due to work commitments)

But anyway, I'm on the Evolve as well and it is really great. immediately you can feel the difference. The response as what Sparoz has mentioned, is instantaneous.. The car feels stronger and the pulls are amazing. I raced a 370Z and won by a considerable margin, by 240km/h i was probably 6-7 car lengths ahead.

as well as a R8 V8, closer but still won convincingly.

From what i see on my DEFI boost gauge, it's pulling about 1.25bar of boost. Thought that it might be more but oh well. doesn't really matter as long as the car drives faster. hehe

Here are my Mods:

1. Evolution Racewerks charge pipe with Tial BOV
2. AR cat-less 3" (claimed) downpipes
3. Akrapovic Evolution exhaust system
4. Wagner Evo Intercooler
5. Evolve Tune

Question:

i'm planning for the RB turbos, and either a NOS dry shot kit or a Meth injection system..

Can i retain the current mods that i have on my car?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Glad you are happy with the upgrade Sparoz.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
No one uses their s2 that I know of. Evolve recommend staying on s1 even with an FMIC. S3 is hardcore. I wouldn't run the s3 daily, only when required at track etc. It is sure to impact the engine/turbo longevity IMO.
The S3 is not at all for track only.
It is a daily driver tune designed to keep the engine away from spikes in cylinder pressures by correctly adjusting valve overlap and using very low ignition targets.
Track is the harshest environment you can put any engine through and an aggressive tune is exactly what you don't need here.

Our aim on all platforms has been to run as much power and use the least amount of boost, ignition timing, keep the cylinder pressures as low as possible, keep EGT's as low as possible to create an upgrade which is safe.

For us also, the consistency of the power means everything. No point in having a big boost tune which delivers power on the dyno once or is quick on the road one one or two pulls.

A medium powered consistent engine will totally out perform a high powered one hit wonder.

What we can tell you is the trick in our tuning is the valve timing on both intake and exhaust when tuning. It's not all about boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

i have the stage 3 tune and couldnt be happier. as sal stated, its not all about
boost. and thats why i chose evolve. its the whole package.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Quote:
Really? I have seen an Evolve S3 dunno curve on a 1M recently... Didn't look that great with fluctuations in the boost all over the place under load in the first 35% of the run.
It is very difficult to make a generic tune for all, custom tuning seems essential to get the safest and best results. Cobb/PTF is hardly a 'one hit wonder' as you describe, but I suppose you know best
mine wasnt all over the place...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Really? I have seen an Evolve S3 dunno curve on a 1M recently... Didn't look that great with fluctuations in the boost all over the place under load in the first 35% of the run.
It is very difficult to make a generic tune for all, custom tuning seems essential to get the safest and best results. Cobb/PTF is hardly a 'one hit wonder' as you describe, but I suppose you know best
Rather aggressive in your reply don't you think?

I have nothing but respect for the COBB products and engineers behind them.
Where you make the connection is not clear.

Custom tuning? On a target based DME? On an engine will tight tolerances? I think not.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Quote:
Hardly aggressive Sal , just based on my observations with moving from Evolve > Cobb > PTF, as well as seeing a Evolve S3 on the dyno. PTF isn't about dyno glory, it is about smoothing the delivery and balancing out all the variables to work on a specific car.

I'm not having a go at Evolve. I liked my Evolve S1 when I had it (except for the boost fluctuations which are now resolved). The point is that IMO custom tuning is well worth it...Evolve should offer it?

Anyhow this is becoming a thread jack and Sparoz will get angry
We do so many custom tunes all over the world on independent dyno's where we are logged in remotely with fantastic operators.
We alter the main maps which make a difference but really only on cars where it is required.

In the UK for example, we have cars coming in for tuning all of the time. Many enthusiasts ask for custom tuning. We clearly explain what that means exactly. We even demonstrate it and every single time the gains are incredibly small.
If custom tuning means more ignition, more boost, leaner AFR then yes... we can go for more power but it's actually at the detriment of everything rather than for it.
Development is all custom tuning. It is something we are very used to.

When we produce a tune for release it is designed for maximum power, using the least amount of pretty much everything as discussed above (other than fuel!). It is actually a very very safe tune and the results are all over the place to show the real world performance.

It's a shame we did not do the update soon enough on your car to deal with the fluctuation in boost but it should not have occured. Mistakes occur, apologies are made, refunds are given... we move on. No one is perfect.
It was actually a tiny 5 degree inlet VANOS error where too much boost was being bled off through the cylinder head causing a domino effect fluctuation over a narrow power band...... yes... I have kicked myself over it many times in your case!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Evolve doesn't push more than 18psi (1.25 bar). Cobb/PTF will do 21psi (1.5 bar). I had an Evolve S1 and it showed 17.5psi, Cobb shows 21.5psi
Have you got log on exactly what speed you were doing at 6200 in 3rd and also at what speed reading? GPS? Internal speed or display speed?

I know the Cobb go higher boost, but I guess just want to compare its application. If there is a time delta between 4000-6200 as well that would be great. Don't want to jump into a third tune if the delta is small.

Last edited by sparoz; 07-23-2013 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Glad you are happy with the upgrade Sparoz.
So far so good with the new tune as well. Didn't have that old sling shot effect at around 4000 rpm which makes drivability much better on the street.

I have no data log yet, so the true usefulness is remained to be seen on track . Not sure if I mentioned before and did not have the surges that some people have.
Appreciate 0