BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Incidence of Stock Muffler and CAN Flap on Overall Sound

Hey guys, I'm currently running a completely stock exhaust except for catless downpipes. My goal is to be able to switch from a low profile exhaust note to something ridiculously loud with the push of a button. I've thought about doing a cutout but I don't want to get surgical with the car and add components that could possibly fail.

I guess I'd go with N55 midpipes and keep everything else stock, that way I could have the flap on auto when daily driving and keep it open when i feel like it.

Question is... is that flap really that effective at masking sound? With catless downpipes and N55 midpipes It's pretty much a straight pipe setup until you hit the muffler so it doesn't get any louder than that(unless you install cutouts after the downpipes!).
In theory, should sound like an N55 with catless downpipes... or close? See:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559978

I remember seeing a thread a long time ago with either a diagram or an actual picture of how the stock muffler works (with the CAN flap). Link anyone?

I don't know which way I want to go... I want more sound but at the same time I love the flap concept + coppers will be giving me tickets all summer for the swapped muffler.

Could a custom setup be made that would use the CANflap actuator to open up a cutout at the 2-1 collector? I guess that's wishful thinking...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by user2688 View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently running a completely stock exhaust except for catless downpipes. My goal is to be able to switch from a low profile exhaust note to something ridiculously loud with the push of a button. I've thought about doing a cutout but I don't want to get surgical with the car and add components that could possibly fail.

I guess I'd go with N55 midpipes and keep everything else stock, that way I could have the flap on auto when daily driving and keep it open when i feel like it.

Question is... is that flap really that effective at masking sound? With catless downpipes and N55 midpipes It's pretty much a straight pipe setup until you hit the muffler so it doesn't get any louder than that(unless you install cutouts after the downpipes!).
In theory, should sound like an N55 with catless downpipes... or close? See:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559978

I remember seeing a thread a long time ago with either a diagram or an actual picture of how the stock muffler works (with the CAN flap). Link anyone?

I don't know which way I want to go... I want more sound but at the same time I love the flap concept + coppers will be giving me tickets all summer for the swapped muffler.

Could a custom setup be made that would use the CANflap actuator to open up a cutout at the 2-1 collector? I guess that's wishful thinking...
I believe the can-flap is only activated on cold starts. I think it's open all the time otherwise.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'd just go the cutout route in your shoes. I don't think a catless and N55 midpipe car is really all that loud with the factor muffler.
      07-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
I believe the can-flap is only activated on cold starts. I think it's open all the time otherwise.

No. The flap is controlled via vacuum at the rear muffler. Its OPEN on cold start AND when you go WOT full throttle. Do a search on "golf tee mod" to open the flap all the time.

You might want to look into a PE(Performance Exhaust) system from BMW. It really sounds great! And its quiet enough at part throttle cruising, but LOUD MUSIC to my ears at WOT!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #5
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you have JB4 it can leave the flap open all the time via software. I love that on my N54.

You can also just unplug a connector in the trunk for the cable.

IMO the performance exhaust is a HUGE ripoff (sorry Dack, just honest opinion). Its not very different from the stock exhaust at all once you have the flap open all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Its not very different from the stock exhaust at all once you have the flap open all the time.
Lay off the crack!!

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Lay off the crack!!
What is different about it? I can't seem to see what the differences really are, other than no stupid flapper valve. I could be mistaken, but no one is able to explain what else changes.

Either way for the price it seems crazy to me, but maybe there is more to it than just the axleback without flapper?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
What is different about it? I can't seem to see what the differences really are, other than no stupid flapper valve. I could be mistaken, but no one is able to explain what else changes.

Either way for the price it seems crazy to me, but maybe there is more to it than just the axleback without flapper?
One of the pipes in the muffler is solid rather than having holes inside the muffler. That pipe is the one with the flapper on the stock exhausts.

The other change is that it gets rid of the Y-pipe resonator.

But yeah, I agree. It seems like a waste of money for not much difference in sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
the flap does nothing in sound. I've disabled it and then enabled it again a few times and don't notice anything at all. All I hear when it is enabled is that stupid clanking noise of it opening when I blip the throttle on downshifts
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
the flap does nothing in sound. I've disabled it and then enabled it again a few times and don't notice anything at all. All I hear when it is enabled is that stupid clanking noise of it opening when I blip the throttle on downshifts
It does make a noticeable difference. I could definitely tell that there was more volume under 3k rpms when I did the golf-tee mod originally.

If you want to hear the difference directly, enable it, then unplug the vacuum line while the car is idling. It won't throw any codes and the difference will be very noticeable since you're right there by the pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
It does make a noticeable difference. I could definitely tell that there was more volume under 3k rpms when I did the golf-tee mod originally.

If you want to hear the difference directly, enable it, then unplug the vacuum line while the car is idling. It won't throw any codes and the difference will be very noticeable since you're right there by the pipes.
Yeah I notice quite the difference. I can enable and disable it with my JB4...so like seconds. Its very easy to hear for me. Exhaust is practically silent until 3400 RPM or so with the flapper enabled. With it off I hear my exhaust all through the power band, and it sounds quite nice.
Appreciate 0