BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Official Release | SSR Type-F Euro

We all know the legendary Type C and although discontinued for the Euro fitments, we still see them being heavily used on the tracks on E46 and E36's.

SSR in their quest to spread their already stellar line-up to the Euro cars had released the Werfen GT03 earlier this year and they have followed their strong push with the Type-F Euro.

Name:  background.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  89.7 KB

A little bit of background on SSR Semi Solid Forging Technology:

In 1991, SSR learned of the advanced technology known as Semi-Solid Forging (SSF). This technology was being used by the aircraft industry to manufacture parts that required low weight and reliability. They conducted research and development for one year and created their patented wheel manufacturing plant in Nara, Japan. By combining the best features of casting and forging, SSR implemented them in the manufacturing process of SSF. Further research led scientists to develop a process whereby mixing alloys during the solidification process changed the original microstructure of the alloy from a branch-like structure to a globule granular structure. Alumax then perfected the aluminum stirring process, Magneto-Hydro Dynamics (MHD), and created the basis of SSF technology which results in a pure cylindrical alloy billet free of non-metals, gasses, oxides and other impurities. This MHD billet, when heated to a specific temperature, holds a semi-solid form. The billet is then pressed into a mold at a high rate keeping the preferred globule granular microstructure as the new shape is formed. The end product is very dense and strong. SSR is the only wheel manufacturer in the world to produce SSF aluminum wheels. SSR continues to research ways to further develop SSF, creating reliable, durable, and lightweight wheels.

The Type-F Euro is of the 2 Piece Hybrid construction.

SSF manufactured faces are welded to an HTM(Heat Treatment Manufacture) inner barrel using SSR's innovative technology. By combining both SSF and HTM, SSR wheels are light-weight and incredibly strong. The Hybrid 2 Piece wheels feature an SSF face welded to an HTM inner barrel to become one piece. This technology is exclusive only to SSR.

Some sample weights and fitements for the 1er:
18 - 8.0 et45 ~ 17.8lbs
18 - 9.0 et45 ~ 19.1lbs

19 - 8.0 et45
19 - 9.0 et45

09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

that really says GTI RS? holy crap. nice wheels though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Nice, but DAMN those are expensive...

Excited to see them on someone's car though!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
JBW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Eh. (I like the standard Type-F much more.)
Appreciate 0