BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #23
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Ed.. I recognize that the occ is a fantastic tool, actually catches oil and has saved the lives of many N54's but if the N55 does not produce any oil blow by. Why would Burger market the use of their N55 specific occ as a proper application of the technology? Sounds like a marketing scam to me. Nevertheless, I will endeavor to find out if we have been scammed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #24
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Have you guys not seen the nasty crap that my OCC has saved my engine from? Read the thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #25
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

I see what you're saying, your beef is with the way burger is marketing it. Well I guess we will see in the future.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
What you catch depends on the condition of the engine and the power levels used. Here is another recent N55 OCC thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969175

Mike
Mike, in all do respect. The OP must work for you or Burger Motor Sports. The OP, loesch, posts the same self promotion of the Oil Catch Can on your website.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24241

C'mon.... who we fooling here? and I respectfully write that.
Hahahaha. So you ask the question, how well does this work since BMM "fixed" the problem with the N55, and someone says this car had a lot in the can. Then you make wild accusations like its nazi war propaganda. Hahahahaha. Is op Jesse Ventura? Sounds like you might have a few more conspiracy theories you might like to share? I can attest that Loesch does not work for any of the tuner related companies. We've been friends since high school and our profiles show we live in the same place. Both Loesch and I try to post information pertaining to our individual cars and products we use. We don't make any assumptions, we only use the facts ascertained from data collected from our cars. This would be part of that data. Occ installed and car run for a while. Checked can and this is what was in there. No bs. Mike and terry have been great people as far as helping out. They've both helped me diagnose problems and find the right parts for my car. I haven't seen any bad reviews about those guys and rightfully so. When you ask a question or propose a theory that something may not be worth it, you shouldn't try to discredit the answer just because it goes against what your trying to prove. I guess you can but people won't take you seriously which I think happened here.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #27
Lmaiuri
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' Sapphire Black M5

>400 whp isn't a beast.

Last edited by Lmaiuri; 06-26-2014 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
The OP's original post was looking for a fail, so what do you expect him to say. Added mine when I had the 335is & found oil residue in the charge pipe when I switched out the stock unit.

No oil in the pipe when I switched it back to sell the car 1.5 years later.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #29
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Wow...

Well since this thread is back to the living I have a question for Chunner.
Why do you think the N55 is better than the N54 when it comes to the oil in intake issue? From what I understand the increased pressure in the crankcase from blow-by (already turbo, and increased even more by a reflash/piggyback) causes more flow from the PCV which contains suspended oil droplets that will end up in the intake.

Unless BMW made some changes to the engine that would reduce or eliminate this issue (piston-cylinder clearance? changes in PCV system? I don't know!) there would't be any difference between the N54 and N55. You need that cylinder pressure to produce power but in turn it causes more blow-by.

The main factors that would influence blow by would be your engine RPM and your cylinder pressure (WOT vs normal driving, increased boost vs regular boost) and they are both related to driving style.

I myself installed this on my N54 in late summer last year, drove about 10km roundtrip to work and home everyday (small streets, no highway) + went through winter with the car (tons of snow and driving slow) and in May this year when I did the oil change there was nothing but maybe two tablespoons of dirty water in there from condensation. Last week while doing the JB4 usb through firewall I decided to look again and guess what? there was maybe one teaspoon of oil in there! I changed jobs not too long ago and I now have to do a 50km roundtrip everyday with highway and I can say that I do get on the gas sometimes... makes sense to me!

Probably for a daily driver with no mods and conservative driving this wouldn't be needed but for anyone with a lead foot and increased boost it would make sense. Think of it... you are running at higher than stock cylinder pressures, the engine wasn't designed for that so naturally you would have more blow-by and more oil in the intake...

See: http://www.sr20-forum.com/informatio...d-edition.html for explanation on PCV system.

My 0.02
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #30
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmaiuri View Post
>400 whp isn't a beast.
You know you wrote GREATER THAN 400 whp, right?

Appreciate 1
      06-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
The OP's original post was looking for a fail, so what do you expect him to say. Added mine when I had the 335is & found oil residue in the charge pipe when I switched out the stock unit.

No oil in the pipe when I switched it back to sell the car 1.5 years later.
The OP, that is me.. was not looking for a fail. It was an experiment and so far, the experiment shows that my N55 does not produce any oil blow by. The OCC is dry and so is the charge pipe.

The fact is the fact.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #32
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by user2688 View Post
Wow...

Well since this thread is back to the living I have a question for Chunner.
Why do you think the N55 is better than the N54 when it comes to the oil in intake issue? From what I understand the increased pressure in the crankcase from blow-by (already turbo, and increased even more by a reflash/piggyback) causes more flow from the PCV which contains suspended oil droplets that will end up in the intake.

Unless BMW made some changes to the engine that would reduce or eliminate this issue (piston-cylinder clearance? changes in PCV system? I don't know!) there would't be any difference between the N54 and N55. You need that cylinder pressure to produce power but in turn it causes more blow-by.

The main factors that would influence blow by would be your engine RPM and your cylinder pressure (WOT vs normal driving, increased boost vs regular boost) and they are both related to driving style.

I myself installed this on my N54 in late summer last year, drove about 10km roundtrip to work and home everyday (small streets, no highway) + went through winter with the car (tons of snow and driving slow) and in May this year when I did the oil change there was nothing but maybe two tablespoons of dirty water in there from condensation. Last week while doing the JB4 usb through firewall I decided to look again and guess what? there was maybe one teaspoon of oil in there! I changed jobs not too long ago and I now have to do a 50km roundtrip everyday with highway and I can say that I do get on the gas sometimes... makes sense to me!

Probably for a daily driver with no mods and conservative driving this wouldn't be needed but for anyone with a lead foot and increased boost it would make sense. Think of it... you are running at higher than stock cylinder pressures, the engine wasn't designed for that so naturally you would have more blow-by and more oil in the intake...

See: http://www.sr20-forum.com/informatio...d-edition.html for explanation on PCV system.

My 0.02
Your post is awesome. All the ballers out there would greatly benefit if they read your post and at least tried to follow your example. This is what a forum is about. A place to exchange ideas, research and resolve issues.

My original post was about research. Does it work, or does it not. That is it.

In response to your post. First, I never wrote or implied that the N55 is better then the N54. In fact, I never cared or gave it any thought and I still do not care. However, I do know now that Burger Motorsport is marketing a product that clearly does not work. Well, at least in my N55. I had no oil blow by before OCC install on either side of the intake and I have no oil blow by after the OCC install on either side of the intake. That is a fact.

Second, to your analysis about any engine redesign. I do not know the answer. Not would I guess but I do have a lead foot. I truly have a fun time daily driving this machine. It has a Dinan Stage 3 tune and to Dinan's credit, 373 hp and 408 lbs of torque.

So far, well at least in my N55. The Burger Motorsport Oil Catch Can does not live up to its claim.

Total bullshit.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 06-26-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

FWIW, Chunner, I appreciate your scientific-ish approach to this. Along those lines I might suggest you just say it's not trapping any oil and stop there as opposed to calling it BS. Much as the same is true of the people bashing you for a half dozen reasons that you don't deserve either.

Here's hoping I'll catch future updates.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread