BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Berk Axle-back install: Help me idiot proof my install

First points...

our stock muffler is a heavy B, the berk SS looks good, the welds look great, it's light, and i found it to bolt up pretty easily.

I'm having a whistle issue which i'm working with Berk on now, but i know they're busy between R&D and track engineering and whatnot, but I'm autocrossing Monday with or without a solution, so i thought i'd just be sure i idiot proof'd my install. I'm not disappointed or feel unjustly ignored or anything to this point, no flaming, just trying to find something by Monday.

It comes with two longer bolts, three washers, one larger nut, short hex bit bolt with nut (still don't know where this is supposed to go.

I found the stock bolt just barely didn't have the length to thread, so i used the longer bolts with the springs that were on the original bolts with washers to hold in place, went goodundtight.

Maybe the little hex is for the vacuum line?, but then why the little nut? Golf tee'd it.

Name:  berk.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  57.2 KB

*thanks to oneintheory for letting me use his pic*

At the red arrow is a threaded hole. still have no idea what this is for. we thought about the OEM harmonic dampener, but with the camfer'd holes other than the thread, we just bolted it up without it. Had a whistle.

The hangers were a PITA, so i put the dampener at arrow green with the larger nut and washer which work with the stock bolt in the dampener. There's not much room, and it doesn't thread all the way through, but it seems to be on there pretty good. It definitely vibrates less, still have a whistle.

Anyone put the dampener at arrow blue?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

The exhaust is defective. I bought that exhaust two months ago from berk, because it is no longer made from the material that rusts, and berk never took time to do some more R&D before switching to stainless steel, the exhaust vibrates through that axleback piece almost like a french horn. Giving it gas like anywhere over 3,000 rpms it sounds like a horn.

What I would do is call berk as soon as possible, either return it, or what they did for me was they sent me the street performance axle back exhaust. Either way make sure you return that.

The installation was fine, it's just the defective exhaust, sorry bro
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Well I guess i feel better that i didn't install it wrong, but a solution by Monday isn't going to happen then...

Bryan said they are testing out a resonator pipe and would keep me updated, i'll at the least hold out a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

1) you mounted the dampener in the right spot. RED
2) I can't recall if I reused factory bolts or Berks but - I had no issue.
3) whistle - leak?
4) I'm running the steel version and it doesn't sound like a horn at all.
5) It does produce some drone.
6) Berk has stood behind it and offered me a swap.
7) I hear good things about their muffler version.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0