BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Input please

My dealer is making noises about the potential non-availability of the car we agreed on, which has the potential to make the wait much longer than expected. For a variety of reasons (not just my impatience) this creates quite an issue. As a back up plan, he's asked me to consider an auto - because there are more available than manuals -- that probably says something.

I've never owned an auto - i just like driving a manual - particularly BMW manuals. I've always been of the view that -- If I want something to steer, that's full of wood -- I'll buy a boat. (No offence intended to anyone)

That said, i know auto's have improved hugely in recent times, so do't want to completely dismiss the option based on my old-fashioned view.

So my question is, what's an auto 135 coupe like to drive and own? Is it fun to drive? Does it "blip" on the down-shift? Is the driver really in control, or only until the car decides to take over? Do you "feel" the car like you do with a manual? Can you "feather" the throttle when you're cornering at speed? Etc, Etc, Etc

Thanks for feedback.
B.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Have you already put a deposit down on the car?

Anyways... I haven't picked my car up yet, but I thought the auto was pretty darn good. I usually drive manuals but I am getting lazy nowadays and the auto in the 135i was very good. Yes, it does blip on downshift, it's very addictive! Frankly, I feel the car more sometimes in an auto because all my concentration and senses (hands) are on the steering wheel. It changes reasonably quick too. I won't say it's better than a manual, but it's definately a great option.

Wish I could give you more of an idea but it's been a while since I test drove it... And I had driven the manual before the auto to compare. Hope this helps!

ps - But if you are wanting a manual, then I would not settle because your dealer stuffed up. Can you search other dealers for a similar spec'd car and buy from them?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
I test drove the auto and thought it was OK, but bought the manual because it was the only real option for me. I never actually tested the manual and am thoroughly pleased with it. It's even easier now they have the hill hold feature when in gear.

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys.

BBK -- yes I have given them a deposit, but the contract states that it's contingent on them being able to get the car - so I was aware of it at the time. I'm not concerned about the deposit -- if they can't secure the car, then the contract is void, and I get my $ back. It's more the inconvenience than anything, which involves the rego and finance on my trade -- trust me, it's a little involved.

You're right about other dealers - and that's tomorrows job.

I'm still of two minds about the auto - any other views would be appreciated.

B.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
ZedClever
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i space grey/black

Ive always had manuals. My last car was the vw gli, with tiptronic dsg. I test drove both the auto and manual 135. The auto was very similar to the dsg, shifts in .04, super smooth, less engaging to drive in D. The manual was the choice for me. I just feel more connected to the driving that way, which for me is why I bought the car in the first place. The clutch and shift distance are great as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I have a manual 135i and an automatic Cayman S.........
I prefer to drive the 135i...........
Enough said.

Get the manual.

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

The 135 would have to be the easiest manual you will ever drive..

Great gear box, light clutch and smooth shifting.. Even in traffic its still a pleasure.

And the hill start is a bonus I didnt know about until delivery as I purchased back in March 08 with no test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Manual definitely IMO, then if the auto was a DCT then maybe not.

oh yeh it is cheaper too
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

When you are paying big bucks for this car do not compromise on your preferences.
Get the car that you want. Trust me you will be better off in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

I was in the same wood boat as you.

Dealer had the exact car I wanted but with auto. I will tell you as far as autos go, it is very good. DS mode was pretty fun. What made me change my mind is I felt like I wasn't in control, almost at a loss when selecting gears...what gear am I in again? Let me glance at the indicator...yah, not a pleasant feeling.

While I'm sure it would have been fine after I acclimated, I was worried it would get boring after the novelty wore off. I'm now halfway through my wait on my 6mt. I'm not going to lie, it's been very painful.

Good luck, and I hope you make the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

AT's will hold boost between gear changes resulting in faster QT mile times generally if that's your poison.

But MT would be a more engaging drive.

Shame the e90 did not come in an MT, as i would have chosen the MT. That said the sport mode is lots of fun & I don't think i'm missing out on that much.

End of the day get what you really want, even if the wait is longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #12
2bob
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW white135

I bought an auto because my wife sometimes drives the 135.I find once you get used to the paddles its great to drive and on the recent Southern Highlands drive i had no trouble keeping up with the manual cars.Get the dealer to give you a back to back test drive and use the DS mode which is easier than paddles.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If you definitely want a manual, then you should wait - why take something you don't want?

In terms of performance, an average person can extract more out of the auto than the manual. It blips and everything, it's anything but short of amazing. You would probably get much more consistent 0-100 times too as I don't think everyone is a racing driver.

I got a manual because I prefer it that way, so that I can play with it. It is a toy car, so I like it to be more engaging. Nothing more satisfying then execute the perfect heel toe. While the auto just does that for you.

What you need to do is to think about what you want, is it play, ultimate performance or consistent performance? The choice is yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #14
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I say go the manual if rev matching your way into the supermarket carpark floats your boat, or you intend for your car to be a track machine. Otherwise as others have said, an auto will be quicker in everyday driving.

Manuals are best on tracks as you can 100% guarantee you're in the right gear when you get on the gas before the corner apex, and you can flat upshift. But on public roads their benefit is purely for the amusement of the driver.

My car is a daily driver, so whilst I endure peak hour traffic, I'll always sit myself in an auto. Play time for me happens out on a track.
      03-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks people for your input -it really is much appreciated.

Clearly this is a matter of personal preference - and everyone has their own reasons for their preference, and I'm sure we all respect that.

I took an auto for a drive today - about 45 mins. And while i've driven both auto's and manuals in the past, i've always done it with the preconception that I'd always buy a manual. So I never really took any notice of the gearbox in the auto. i simply stuck it in D, and off I went.

After today, I have to say i'm impressed. Particularly with DS mode. in fact, i think I'd have to say it felt quicker than the manual. It's a great piece of technology. It managed everything I tried to do with precision. It entertained me. It was a HUGE surprise....

But I'm buying the manual!

I don't really care if one is .000001 sec's quicker than the other. I'm not that good, and nor is Sydney traffic. There were three issues for me:
1) I kept finding that I was going up, when I wanted to go down - I'm sure i would have become more aware of it, so this woud have gone away after a short time.
2) I didn't feel as conected and in control as i do in a manual - I'm sure that has more to do with me being more comfortable and familiar with a manual than an auto, than it's a reflection on the transmission
3) In the end, when I was heading back to the dealer, I simply thought "bugger it", put it in D, because I was tired of having to give it so much thought

I guess I'm not ready for an auto just yet - but I'm sure it will come, and when it does, It'll be a BMW Step -- no doubt about that at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Thanks people for your input -it really is much appreciated.

Clearly this is a matter of personal preference - and everyone has their own reasons for their preference, and I'm sure we all respect that.

I took an auto for a drive today - about 45 mins. And while i've driven both auto's and manuals in the past, i've always done it with the preconception that I'd always buy a manual. So I never really took any notice of the gearbox in the auto. i simply stuck it in D, and off I went.

After today, I have to say i'm impressed. Particularly with DS mode. in fact, i think I'd have to say it felt quicker than the manual. It's a great piece of technology. It managed everything I tried to do with precision. It entertained me. It was a HUGE surprise....

But I'm buying the manual!

I don't really care if one is .000001 sec's quicker than the other. I'm not that good, and nor is Sydney traffic. There were three issues for me:
1) I kept finding that I was going up, when I wanted to go down - I'm sure i would have become more aware of it, so this woud have gone away after a short time.
2) I didn't feel as conected and in control as i do in a manual - I'm sure that has more to do with me being more comfortable and familiar with a manual than an auto, than it's a reflection on the transmission
3) In the end, when I was heading back to the dealer, I simply thought "bugger it", put it in D, because I was tired of having to give it so much thought

I guess I'm not ready for an auto just yet - but I'm sure it will come, and when it does, It'll be a BMW Step -- no doubt about that at all.
That's almost exactly how I felt after my test drive. If I could afford two nice cars, I'd definitely get an auto for the mundane trips to work in traffic and keep the fun manual car for everything else. Since I can only have one or the other, it's a manual for me too!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post

Good on ya going for the manual .

1) It won't take much to get used to it - BMW op to shift with momentum, which I much prefer than Audi/VWs. It won't take long for you to get used to.
3) That's the beauty of the Auto.

BTW, the BMW Step's actually the ZF's. Wait till try DCT though - that's an amazing gear box. It is smooth as if you a relaxing drive, and it's so fast when you want to play.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #18
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Sorry for slow reply - spent the last two weeks in HK & Tokyo working - other than going to the HK 7's - what a hoot!

Thanks to all for your views - It all became academic. The Auto cars were sold by the dealers to whom they were allocated. So in the end, I had to order a car.

It'll be a 135 coupe, Manual, in Lemans Blue, with Black leather and Alu acented trim and sunroof. Still a simple spec. Due late June, unless they can "steal" a production slot, in which case it'll be late may. Not banking on that though.

Cheers again averyone. Appreciate your input.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Manual, Lemans Blue & Black. Classy!
      04-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

I know I love my Step in my 135i. But honestly I wanted a stick. The problem was my dad is part owner of my car and he can drive stick...he just doesnt want to. And to whoever said that which gear am I in again comment...I fully agree. Its really frustrating to need to glance down all the time. The car will fight me. Like if im trying to save some gas I will make the car shift into sixth below 40mph. Its all fine on the car...its chugging along at 1300RPM and im getting great mileage. But the car suddenly decides to downshift and i need to fight it to get it to do what I want it to. Its just frustrating.

So yeah...if you are even considering a manual with a tiny incling in your mind...just wait and have more fun than I am...arbitralily hitting the flappy paddles.
      04-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #21
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

As good as the auto is, I felt significantly more in control with the manual too.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #22
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
I have a manual 135i and an automatic Cayman S.........
I prefer to drive the 135i...........
Enough said.

Get the manual.
Your Cayman S has PDK? They are much much better.

135 auto is bloody good. That is after I have driven the automatic of Lexus ISF.