BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

First signs of upcoming HPFP failure on my 1M?

Hi group,

10.500km (6.524 miles) and it looks like my HPFP is showing the first oddities.

3-4 weeks ago, I had about a week, where the revolution speed directly after starting the engine would osscilate about 1.000 rpm. Be the engine hot or cold. Press the accelerator once and it was gone. The shop checked the car for saved errors, nothing. Yesterday morning when starting, the starter runs but the engine doesn't fire. As if there was no ignition. Stop the starter, start again and it fires up as if nothing had ever happened. BMW now wants data collected from my car. Fuel pressures in various driving conditions. Now what does that tell me?

Anyone else show similar signs?

Oh... and btw... my front brake dics didn't even make the 10.000km mark. They had to be replaced after approx. 9.000km. BMW is actually trying to tell me, that it must have been someting I did to their "technology derived from the racetrack" brake discs. Sure. I braked. Hard. And more than once. The pads didn't like that and killed the discs.

I'm still impressed by the car. BMWs (BMWs mind you, NOT my dealers) failure handling is... eeerrr... let's say "not impressive".

Last edited by EmmDrei; 09-01-2011 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Hi group,

3-4 weeks ago, I had about a week, where the revolution speed directly after starting the engine would osscilate about 1.000 rpm. Be the engine hot or cold. Press the accelerator once and it was gone. The shop checked the car for saved errors, nothing. Yesterday morning when starting, the starter runs but the engine doesn't fire. As if there was no ignition. Stop the starter, start again and it fires up as if nothing had ever happened. BMW now wants data collected from my car. Fuel pressures in various driving conditions. Now what does that tell me?

Oh... and btw... my front brake dics didn't even make the 10.000km mark. They had to be replaced after approx. 9.000km. BMW is actually trying to tell me, that it must have been someting I did to their "technology derived from the racetrack" brake discs. Sure. I braked. Hard. And more than once. The pads didn't like that and killed the discs.

I'm still impressed by the car. BMWs (BMWs mind you, NOT my dealers) failure handling is... eeerrr... let's say "not impressive".
I have the same issue with my front rotors (7500km) and probably need to have them replaced. I will ask them to put on the sportpads as these seem to be able to handle the heat much better and don't ruin the brake disc.

Good luck with the engine issue, please keep us informed. As it is the N54, it could be injectors or HPFP... Till now I have had zero issues with the engine.

Still loving my car
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Firthy247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M & 996 x50 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
Hi group,

Sounds like HPFP to me also. Exactly the same symptoms as mine on the 135i before that gave up the ghost.

Pad and discs sound worrying...

Firthy
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

On the brakes front, I would ditch the whole front set up if I was regularly tracking, I run alcons advantage extreme for track work with a monobloc 6 pot caliper (Ferodo DS3000 pads) and 365mm floating disc on my stripped/track OPC, I wouldn't consider an oem brake system to be anything more than a fast road set up to be honest.....

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 09-01-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Brakeproblem is because of the pads. The pads are for comfort and can t handle the heat on track. When they overheat they burn deposit on the discs and causes vibration en eventually they kill the discs. This all can be solved to use proper pads and brake fluid for the job.

We have raced with ap calipers with PFC 06 on original discs. No problems whatsoever. The discs could handle 4 hour races without any problems and were glowing bright red. The discs are NOT the problem.

On my 2010 GT3 with steel discs same problem on track. The pads are not suitable for track. Even the discs shows cracks faster then bmw discs. How is that for a change.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Sounds very similar to the VANOS problem I had with my old 335. BMW replaced the solenoids at less than 30,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Brakeproblem is because of the pads. The pads are for comfort and can t handle the heat on track. When they overheat they burn deposit on the discs and causes vibration en eventually they kill the discs. This all can be solved to use proper pads and brake fluid for the job.

We have raced with ap calipers with PFC 06 on original discs. No problems whatsoever. The discs could handle 4 hour races without any problems and were glowing bright red. The discs are NOT the problem.

On my 2010 GT3 with steel discs same problem on track. The pads are not suitable for track. Even the discs shows cracks faster then bmw discs. How is that for a change.
Porsche cross-drilled steel discs are notorious for spider webbing. Good thing that doesn't happen to the BMW discs.
Appreciate 0