BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
breakfast
Rep
Drives: BMW

Peformance pad options?

Why am I having such difficulty finding information on this?

What are the pads most liked ? Im mainly looking at front pad options ..and not the OEM pad. Something aftermarket like pagid etc. Do they even make pads for this caliper?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfast View Post
Why am I having such difficulty finding information on this?

What are the pads most liked ? Im mainly looking at front pad options ..and not the OEM pad. Something aftermarket like pagid etc. Do they even make pads for this caliper?

Thanks!
135i or 128i?

What exactly are you going for?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
breakfast
Rep
Drives: BMW

135i, sorry.

A performance brake pad mainly for track use(odd street driving).

It doesnt seem like many options exist?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

There are several options available, here's one from Performance Friction (NEW). I'm sure many other people will chime in.

From PF's website-
PFC 08 Compound

E82 135
Front - 1371
Rear - 1372

08 compound is one of PFC newest and have gained immediate favor in Endurance Sportscar, and GT racing due to its performance in applications where smooth initial bite is a must. 08 have a slight friction rise with temperature, excellent release and modulation characteristics, and very low abraded disc wear. In addition to its considerable performance, 08 wears the longest of all PFC pads and easily matches wear of the other competitors with much higher bite.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport View Post
There are several options available, here's one from Performance Friction (NEW). I'm sure many other people will chime in.

From PF's website-
PFC 08 Compound

E82 135
Front - 1371
Rear - 1372

+1 ... Cannot say enough good things about these 135i brake pads. The Performance Friction PFC 08 pads for the 135i have only been out for a couple of months. We were begging for them, and the good people at Speedfreaksusa.com had a large influence on PFC to get these produced last summer. Speedfreaksusa committed to a large stockpile of 1371+1372 model PFC-08 pads. Thanks to them, these pads are now available for the 135i calipers, as PFC were in no hurry to make them.

For me, they are they the ultimate dual duty pad. They provide consistent braking, they are durable, and make no noise when cold (used on the streets even during winter time here in Canada), contrary to most track pads.

I track my car heavily (70% of the time), and did not want to deal with the constant switching between street and track pads.

Got the PFC 08's last summer, and called it a day. Been running them in the winter too. This is the only pad I will buy from now on.

Speedfreaksusa.com have these on sale too (20% off and free shipping). $257USD for the fronts, and $157USD for the rears). I got great service from Anish, who is passionate about this stuff, and visits the track often.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405606...rake-pads.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405609...rake-pads.html
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts

Last edited by dcaron9999; 03-12-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

EBC Yellow stuff.

Brilliant for track use, and totally usable on a DD. It's what they were designed to do. You will be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
+1 ... Cannot say enough good things about these 135i brake pads. The Performance Friction PFC 08 pads for the 135i have only been out for a couple of months. We were begging for them, and the good people at Speedfreaksusa.com had a large influence on PFC to get these produced last summer. Speedfreaksusa committed to a large stockpile of 1371+1372 model PFC-08 pads. Thanks to them, these pads are now available for the 135i calipers, as PFC were in no hurry to make them.

For me, they are they the ultimate dual duty pad. They provide consistent braking, they are durable, and make no noise when cold (used on the streets even during winter time here in Canada), contrary to most track pads.

I track my car heavily (70% of the time), and did not want to deal with the constant switching between street and track pads.

Got the PFC 08's last summer, and called it a day. Been running them in the winter too. This is the only pad I will buy from now on.

Speedfreaksusa.com have these on sale too (20% off and free shipping). $257USD for the fronts, and $157USD for the rears). I got great service from Anish, who is passionate about this stuff, and visits the track often.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405606...rake-pads.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-18405609...rake-pads.html
Been hearing good stuff about PFC, and based upon your review just bought a set, woot

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
Kizzu
First Lieutenant
Malta
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i Black Sapphire

I have hawk hp plus and I personally found them great BUT the they do squeak a bit when slowing down to a stop at very slow speeds.. not unbearable though but noticeable.
      03-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #9
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
My PFC 08's squeak at slow speeds when coming to a stop. Usually after they've warmed up a bit (they quiet down again when they get hot on the track). Sometimes unbearable, but fortunately not most of the time. But other than that they are very good for dual duty and relatively gentle on the rotors.

Other brake pads that seem popular amongst many 1 series enthusiasts with good results are Pagid RS29 and Hawk DTC 60/70. Some also use Endless ME20. Project Mu pads are supposedly good too but haven't really heard of anyone using them.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
My PFC 08's squeak at slow speeds when coming to a stop. Usually after they've warmed up a bit (they quiet down again when they get hot on the track). Sometimes unbearable, but fortunately not most of the time. But other than that they are very good for dual duty and relatively gentle on the rotors.

Other brake pads that seem popular amongst many 1 series enthusiasts with good results are Pagid RS29 and Hawk DTC 60/70. Some also use Endless ME20. Project Mu pads are supposedly good too but haven't really heard of anyone using them.
Strange how your experience is different than mine. I wonder if mine are silent due to the Hardbrakes.com 0.5mm Titanium heat shields and OE backing plates I use. Did you use high temp brake grease on all caliper contact points when you installed your pads?

I've used Carbotech XP10, and Project Mu Club Racer pads prior to the PFC 08 pads. I got brake fade with the carbotechs'. and none with the PMU's.. HAving said that, they both squealed as soon as the pad layer deposited on the rotors during lapping events scraped off ( after 1-3 days of street use).
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Strange how your experience is different than mine. I wonder if mine are silent due to the Hardbrakes.com 0.5mm Titanium heat shields and OE backing plates I use. Did you use high temp brake grease on all caliper contact points when you installed your pads?

I've used Carbotech XP10, and Project Mu Club Racer pads prior to the PFC 08 pads. I got brake fade with the carbotechs'. and none with the PMU's.. HAving said that, they both squealed as soon as the pad layer deposited on the rotors during lapping events scraped off ( after 1-3 days of street use).
The Ti shims are in there too. The Permatex ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant that Hardbrakes included with the shims were used on all contact points - which I don't recommend as it burns up and leaves a scorched mess after each track day. But I've been chasing a brake issue for a year: significant pedal travel (w/Motul RBF600 & Castrol SRF), pad fade, and tapered pad wear so my different experience could be isolated.

Thanks for the feedback on the PMu's. Sounds like a track-only pad, but a very good one at that.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
The Ti shims are in there too. The Permatex ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant that Hardbrakes included with the shims were used on all contact points - which I don't recommend as it burns up and leaves a scorched mess after each track day. But I've been chasing a brake issue for a year: significant pedal travel (w/Motul RBF600 & Castrol SRF), pad fade, and tapered pad wear so my different experience could be isolated.

Thanks for the feedback on the PMu's. Sounds like a track-only pad, but a very good one at that.
Agreed on the mess, so must use sparingly, as it completely burns up with the heat generated by repeated use on the track and the weight + power of this car. I use a minimal coat of copper grease, and it is easy to clean off during brake maintenance jobs.

Your tapered wear issue almost looks like a sticky piston issue - maybe one or more of your six pistons are not applying equal force on the pads. The Ti shields keep a lot of more heat in the pads, and isolate your caliper, pistons, dust boots, and brake fluid from some of the heat.

How long have you been running the TI shields? Did your tapered wear and long pedal travel issue start before or after the shields? What method are you using to bleed your brakes? Have you considered a caliper rebuild using RB pistons, and high temp dust boots? HAve you considered brake cooling?

RB pistons and high temp dust boots are on my short list. My stock dust boots are crumbling to pieces, but Im not in a hurry to change them, as pistons are still intact. Ive just added DIY cooling ducts to front brake dust shields during the off season... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=57

Last edited by dcaron9999; 03-13-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^ Ti shields were installed with new PFC-08's and used in a couple track events. I never noticed any tapering prior to the Ti shields. The tapered wear was obvious when the pads were inspected recently. I normally bleed/flush via power bleeder method, but resorted to the traditional 2-person method which didn't help either. I hope the RB pistons kit resolves the issue but unfortunately the included seals are backordered for a while.

I did use a custom installed brake cooling duct (2.5") system for an event last fall, but it helped maybe 30%, if that. If it is a sticky pistons or master cylinder issue, it seems no amount of cooling will help.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
For Hawk - I've used the DTC60s, DTC70s, and HT10s. Of those - I like the DTC60s the best as they lasted the longest and had the best brake feel/bite for me. The DTC60s have very good pedal feel; you don't need a lot of force to get full braking once they are warmed up. While they can be used for the street, you'll have to use more pedal effort and they do squeak.

I'm now using the PFC08s which last much much longer than any of the Hawk pads. The bite isn't as good, but it's close; you do not need a lot of effort to get to full braking, but more than the DTC60/70s. The big thing about the PFCs for me is their longevity. It is very lame only being able to do one weekend on a set of expensive pads. I'm on my first set of PFC08s and have done 2 days on Summit Main and 2 days on Shenandoah. I would say they are at 40-50% worn.
I've been running PFC08s up front and DTC60s in the back, but I will be switching to PFC08s all around.
You do need a touch more pedal effort on the PFC08s than you do on stock pads for street use, but they can certainly be driven on the street. Right now the PFC08s are my pad of choice. I'm also using the Ti shims, brake ducting, and Motul RBF 600 fluid.

-Joe
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeo View Post
...Right now the PFC08s are my pad of choice. I'm also using the Ti shims, brake ducting, and Motul RBF 600 fluid.
I use the same choices for fluid, shims, ducting, and pads as you. Mind sharing how you did your ducting?
Appreciate 0