BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So here's my current alignment specs
-2.4 f / 0.11 total toe
-2.3 r / 0.24 total toe

Previously before camber plates I got
-1.2 f / 0.05 total toe
-1.8 r / 0.25 total toe

I guess my kW v1 settled even more after a year in the rear, even though I waited over a month for alignment
I don't think camber plates or switching from 225/255 stocks to 245/265 Apex would affect my rear camber?

Camber currently is a lot more than I expected after adding the plates. Before the alignment, I had toe out and it cornered amazing. I think I might have to raise my car a bit to reduce the camber since its max positive. Any recommendations on alignment and ride height?
Attached Images

07-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Although the Dinan plates are fixed, you still have a small range of adjustability because of the eccentric bolt holes in the strut tower. You could simply try to decrease the amount of negative camber that way...

The rear is definitely affected by height, but there is also a decent range of adjustment in the factory camber arm.

Take it to a shop and get it looked at to see how much you can reduce the camber by before you start raising it, unless raising it was something you wanted to do anyway in which case you should do that first.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Although the Dinan plates are fixed, you still have a small range of adjustability because of the eccentric bolt holes in the strut tower. You could simply try to decrease the amount of negative camber that way...

The rear is definitely affected by height, but there is also a decent range of adjustment in the factory camber arm.

Take it to a shop and get it looked at to see how much you can reduce the camber by before you start raising it, unless raising it was something you wanted to do anyway in which case you should do that first.
Yea we already minimized the amount of camber in the front/rear during alignment. Just surprised my rear camber went lower since I havent touched it in over a year. Well except for sub frame inserts but i doubt that would lower the camber
      07-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Strange indeed - inserts shouldn't lower camber...wonder if the bolt/adjusters weren't torqued down enough and they "moved" over time!?!

I suppose it could be other things like bent arms (both sides?!) or severely worn bushings but that seems unlikely.

Or maybe they just measured wrong lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Strange indeed - inserts shouldn't lower camber...wonder if the bolt/adjusters weren't torqued down enough and they "moved" over time!?!

I suppose it could be other things like bent arms (both sides?!) or severely worn bushings but that seems unlikely.

Or maybe they just measured wrong lol
Yea could be all sorts of things and every alignment machine differs a little. But I think its due to the coilovers breaking in more after a year. Car looks sick at the moment at its current height so I'm still debating if I should raise it to increase the camber lol.

Originally I wanted -2 front and -1.8 rear but im not sure if increasing it by half and inch would even achieve that
      07-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Need to measure your height anyway to make sure your rake is appropriate. Start with proper rake and then adjust up or down depending on how low you want the car. Then worry about alignment. If you've run out of toe adjustment in the rear and can't get the camber back to 1.8, I'd say you are pretty low.