BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #23
Medicaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Glad you had a good ownership experience, and enjoy your new ride. After all, variety is the spice of life!
Yes it is.....the TTRS is nice and I hope u enjoy all the tire shredding it will give you. I have been a 15 year owner of BMWs and 10 months ago bought a TT...non RS.....and I must say, it was the worst car I have ever owned....the ride is awful, steering is awful and I felt like I was driving a twin turbo vw bug around...my wife wouldn't even drive it anymore.....I am now happily back to BMW with an 11 135i.....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #24
MJA
Rep
Drives:

The old 5 cylinder turbo Audi's were fantastic, I'm so glad they brought the concept back to modern times with the TT-RS. Hopefully they will put that engine into other models. Even something like a nice de-tuned 275hp version in the A4 would be great to replace the underpowered 2.0T.

I'm sure your TT-RS will be a blast. Very jealous! Good luck.
      12-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Congrats on your new car.. but you must now give up your user name.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #26
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Depends on their definition of 'enthusiast' I suppose.

If understeer accompanied by screeching tyres, but VERY fast in a straight line is the definition, then yes, the TT-RS would be. On the other hand if, enjoying a nicely balanced chassis is, then no.

I only drove one, briefly, on the road, but wouldn't want to take one on a track......and watching this video shows why

Not sure what the hell that video is supposed to prove... Either that the guy was a moron and wasnt really driving too well, or what?.. I mean even with his sloppy driving he never lost control or anything, so whats your point?

I love these random people with their random comparisons between the audi and what they drive..Most probably have never even stepped inside an RS so why bother commenting?

Ive sat in one not too long ago, I love the interior, I had a MKV GTI before my 1er and I still miss the GTI's overall interior (placement of wheel, seats, shifter, etc.) and the Audi is no diff. As far as power and all that, the audi has our car beat stock to stock for sure, and I know there are several very good flash tunes for VW/Audi's that would probably push that baby to 450bhp with no problem, specially with the AWD setup which is NOT terrible like that previous poster seemed to think... Honestly I was stuck between an audi and the 1er when I was looking back in march 2010, only reason I didnt go with the audi is the TT-RS was still not really out yet and for the money I didnt want to go with just the TT even thou I like them too.

Not sure how long ill be keeping my 1er, ive had it for almost 2 years, I kept my GTI for just 2 years so who knows. Likely though if I do go to another car sooner than later, the TT-RS would likely be at the top of my choices along with the 370Z or possibly new gen GTI-R (if it ever gets here)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

That Haldex system is awful.

The 5 cyl engine is a peach, I grant you, but the rest of the car, especially the crap steering and Haldex chassis isn't a patch on a rwd setup.....dull as dishwater.
Considering all the reviewers who LOVE the TT-RS and it's amazing performance, your opinion stands quite outside from those who have actual experience driving the new TT-RS.

RWD is great, but AWD can be just as sweet.
Having the rear end swinging out under controlled power in tight turns is fun, and it's fun to control. But, an all wheel drift under full power is also a blast to experience.

I think the TT-RS is a great looking automobile. It's very unique. Some don't like it, it's understandable.
Many didn't like the 1 series either, but many of us love it.
I prefer to be an auto enthusiasts and appreciate the cool and great cars we have the option of driving.
Yeah, this a BMW site, but this type of thread shows who the auto enthusiasts are and who the brand loyalists are.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-31-2011 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Depends on their definition of 'enthusiast' I suppose.

If understeer accompanied by screeching tyres, but VERY fast in a straight line is the definition, then yes, the TT-RS would be. On the other hand if, enjoying a nicely balanced chassis is, then no.

I only drove one, briefly, on the road, but wouldn't want to take one on a track......and watching this video shows why
That video shows someone who doesn't know how to drive an AWD automobile.
He's way late on the power on some of those apex's.
He's not making use of the on power pull of AWD through a turn. By waiting that long to get back on the power of course he's going to get understeer.
One video of a driver who doens't drive AWD well doesn't persuade me to not like the TT-RS.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-31-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:08 AM   #29
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan15 View Post
Well, my experience wasn't price related but yeah, I completely understand. My issue was that I was lied to by both the sales and management.

"No, its not faster than an M3. Especially around a track. Heck, a 1M has beaten it in every comparison. Maybe the only M3's you are racing are parked ones?
Other than the sweet 5 cyl, its an automatic secretary's car."

You must have missed the part when I said I test drove the M3 several times and that I have the 135i. All three were on the track a couple of weeks ago and the Audi was the best out there. Wasn't even close. My TT-RS clocked multiple times 0-60 in slightly under 4 seconds and my TT-RS is stock. I've read all the reviews on the 1M versus the TT-RS. Thing is, those were against the european version and not the american.

I love the styling of the M3 obviously more than just about anything else and I am NOT a fan of the TT-RS look but I decided on the best "vanilla" track car available and something that was exclusive and with a little modding would be the fastest thing on the track. I made a pretty good choice.

I'd be driving an M3..which was one of my points...if the dealership here in Vegas had treated me with respect and not repeatedly lied to me.

My dealership has treated me very, very badly and when I went all the way up the corporate ladder at BMW in NJ they had nothing but bad news and false hopes. The car drives great but has a ton of problems and the staff does not respect the people that are the most important to the business.... the CUSTOMER..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

Congrats. It's a great car. Pics!!!!

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

haters gonna hate.

enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
bimmerfan15
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

It was a sad day, but I turned in the 135i. The disposition fee sucked but I had no intention of purchasing the 135i after the horrible experience I had (which was compounded by the way they handled the lease return...completely unprofessional).

The TT-RS is a monster of a car and a tremendous track car. I only intended on keeping it a year or two but it looks like I will be trading it in in August or September when my new car comes in.

After the face-lift is unveiled i'll be ordering the 2013 Ferrari California. Slot already secured. Extremely excited. In the future I might get a BMW as a second car, maybe a used M3 or 650i to take the family out to restaurants in.
SOLD: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is
SOLD: 2008 BMW 135i
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
blf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Sorry you had such a poor experience at a BMW dealership. I've been a customer of BMW of San Diego for more than 10 years and have had the same salesman and service writer for the entire time. I am a bimmerhead for life, but you did get a great car. Maybe you will come back some day.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #34
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

very sorry too to hear your bad experience with this dealer . enjoy your TTRS and hope you will post pics of that California . so you may will get 490-500+ bhp ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Desert. I don't care for the sales team either. In fact they are sucking up to a friend this moment for a horrible screw up. Can you say performance wheel version 2? lol

I would love to see the TT-RS in person. Shoot me a pm next time you are at the track!
Congrats. Now get an APR tune in that thing.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Wow, a TT-RS. Gorgeous vehicle to say the least, congrats!
Appreciate 0