02-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Tech question

Tech question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two control modules that sit in a foam receptacle in the right rear of my car. 1M. They are the PDC unit ( park distance control ) and the Passive access or comfort access unit. These are common units to the 1 series with comfort access and parking sensors.

One of these has a tilt detection function, i.e. it detects the car being tilted, as in onto a tray or trailer, and sets off the alarm.

There is a reading showing a fault in this tilt function in my car.

My question is - which one of the modules is it? Local dealer won't tell me without a $180 per hour fault check and they are saying it will most likely take 2 hours. Initial check by them shows a fault but they need the full diagnosis to verify. Plus part replacement. I tried Tischer and they don't know. BMW international only refers me to local dealer as does BMW Australia.

I know it is one of these units and knowing that I will be replacing the part anyway I am trying to save the $360 dealer fault check.

Can someone help?

Please only answer if you actually know as guessing is at best 50 /50.

Also, it isn't a warranty issue as the damage to the unit was my fault. Don't ask.

Is this situation a known unknown or an unknown known? Or - I know there's a known but I don't know which known? Is that a known unknown known?

My head hurts.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Sorry to hear your ran into this kind of misty pest.

What I know is that the tilt sensor that supports the alarm function is not exclusively situated in either of these trunk modules as it is an option to have an alarm without the PDC and or CA options.

What I think IIRC is that the tilt sensor is in the alarm version of the center roof module, item 13 in this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=63&fg=30. Not relevant to your problem, but I know that the occupant detection sensor is also inside this module.

good luck (I'm off going to buy Aspirine stocks)

Last edited by eeghie; 02-16-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

This may seem a little off the top of the head but if you need the part why can't you tell your dealer to order the part for you. Tell the parts person to order the module that takes care of the tilt function . They want to sell the part so just maybe he will ask the tech which one to order. That's what I would try . Then when it comes in match it to yours. Obvious answer from non tech guy.
Gave you something to read while your waiting for real answer. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky1M View Post
This may seem a little off the top of the head but if you need the part why can't you tell your dealer to order the part for you. Tell the parts person to order the module that takes care of the tilt function . They want to sell the part so just maybe he will ask the tech which one to order. That's what I would try . Then when it comes in match it to yours. Obvious answer from non tech guy.
Gave you something to read while your waiting for real answer. Good luck.
I know the part #s, that's the easy enough.
Park distance control 66.20 - 9 252 639
Passive access 61 35 9 134 708

The question is - which one controls the tilt function? The parts guys don't know, ( or aren't saying ), which one it is without a full fault test. The other problem we Aussies have is the exhorbitant charges for service and parts. A passive access module in Oz is nearly twice the price of the unit from the U.S via online ordering. I want to order mine through Tischer to save $$. BTW an email query to them also yielded an "I don't know".
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz
Tech question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two control modules that sit in a foam receptacle in the right rear of my car. 1M. They are the PDC unit ( park distance control ) and the Passive access or comfort access unit. These are common units to the 1 series with comfort access and parking sensors.

One of these has a tilt detection function, i.e. it detects the car being tilted, as in onto a tray or trailer, and sets off the alarm.

There is a reading showing a fault in this tilt function in my car.

My question is - which one of the modules is it? Local dealer won't tell me without a $180 per hour fault check and they are saying it will most likely take 2 hours. Initial check by them shows a fault but they need the full diagnosis to verify. Plus part replacement. I tried Tischer and they don't know. BMW international only refers me to local dealer as does BMW Australia.

I know it is one of these units and knowing that I will be replacing the part anyway I am trying to save the $360 dealer fault check.

Can someone help?

Please only answer if you actually know as guessing is at best 50 /50.

Also, it isn't a warranty issue as the damage to the unit was my fault. Don't ask.

Is this situation a known unknown or an unknown known? Or - I know there's a known but I don't know which known? Is that a known unknown known?

My head hurts.
Do you guys get no warranty coverage over there? Seems criminal that they are trying to fleece you with the bogus charges.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

It's not warranty.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649191
Appreciate 0