BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #23
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Aww, come on. It's a fun thread :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm helping to keep it alive :eyebulge:

Edit: 2 pages worth!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:37 AM   #24
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Objective achieved... constructive discussion was had, Mods let's close it.

(Summary, don't buy a poor man's Porsche hehehe)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 05:47 AM   #25
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Objective achieved... constructive discussion was had, Mods let's close it.

(Summary, don't buy a poor man's Porsche hehehe)
Nah, poor man's Porsche is still a good buy! I'd get it over any regular car :biggrin:

Even if I was given a 911, I'd sell it and get a Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #26
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Dodgey... you're weird... sell a 911 to get a cayman?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #27
dodgey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
In a heartbeat. (living up to my nick then)

The 911 has 2 too many (baby) seats, not enough boot space, and not mid-engined.

Sure, it has 40 odd years of history, but before that, Porsche was doing light, mid engined coupes like the 904 and the 550

And to me, that's where the history of the Cayman comes from. I also love the shape of the Cayman over the 911. Although I have friends who love classic 911s and I can understand that, for me, the Cayman is it.

Of course, it can be better. Like a Ruf RK Coupe. Yum!! Cayman with a 3.8l supercharged engine!! Not that I will be able to afford it, nor have anywhere to drive it.

That said, I'd take a Porsche 911 over a modern Ferrari in the blink of an eye too :thumbup: For one, the Porsche sounds better (Yeah, I'd then sell the 911 and get a Cayman)

Each to his own :biggrin: (GTI over r32, 135 over 335)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #28
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Weird :wink:

I'm with you on the GTI over R32, and obviously on the 135 over 335. And even on the 911 over ferrari.

But I draw the line at Cayman over 911
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgey View Post
In a heartbeat. (living up to my nick then)

The 911 has 2 too many (baby) seats, not enough boot space, and not mid-engined.

Sure, it has 40 odd years of history, but before that, Porsche was doing light, mid engined coupes like the 904 and the 550

And to me, that's where the history of the Cayman comes from. I also love the shape of the Cayman over the 911. Although I have friends who love classic 911s and I can understand that, for me, the Cayman is it.

Of course, it can be better. Like a Ruf RK Coupe. Yum!! Cayman with a 3.8l supercharged engine!! Not that I will be able to afford it, nor have anywhere to drive it.

That said, I'd take a Porsche 911 over a modern Ferrari in the blink of an eye too :thumbup: For one, the Porsche sounds better (Yeah, I'd then sell the 911 and get a Cayman)

Each to his own :biggrin: (GTI over r32, 135 over 335)

i agree on getting a Cayman with an S over a Carrera with my eyes closed. Two reasons why,

1- Its everywhere in the streets and most of them who drive them are bankers. Thats why if u want a 911, it gotsta be a GT3 or if u wanna be anal about it, why not the RS.

2- It understeers like a mofo, bad handling, not too much space, and u can feel that the front is kinda empty in weight balance terms ( thats why it understeers alot ), the way it bounces is not soo nice, its like a weird hard/soft floaty bounce, hard to discribe.

The Cayman on the other hand has the same interior, nearly same performance ( S ), handles much better and can go into a corner much faster in a twitchy way, it has more boot space ( front and rear ), weight balanced, mid engined bla bla bla, and if u get it in manual, it will def remind u of how it felt back in the days when u had a light modded MR2, or maybe an S2k or even a Hachiroku if urs is hooked with an LSD ( and oh yeah, back to topic, our 1'ers have LSD's and the Cayman dont, so thats a plus for us ). Anyways back to subject, it will feel like a JDM but in a different way, in a more modern way, German style quality, handling and feel, and at the same time its playable like a Jap car if u know how to mod it in the right way. Yes it does drift very nicely, Tiff Niddle doesnt know how to chuck it, maybe i should teach him the Arabian style of chucking ( and no not the crazy handbrake drift ) :P

I have driven many types of 911's, the best one imo till now is the 993 Turbo year 96, thats a real Porsche, if they remake something that will feel the same way it felt back then with a modern twist mixed into it then it'll def be a winner, the only choice would be the Cayman if u want the real deal.

This also has to do with the 1'er a bit, i mean dont u think that the 1 series, specifically the 135 has the same feel, control, soul, and makes u have that smile u havent had in ages? The same way it did with the older gen M3's? I think this has been discussed alot, so yeah it does bring u that feel of a real Bimmer.

But still, after all this, id go for the 1er over the Cayman, thats why i gave the car to my wife to enjoy.
      09-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #30
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
That is an interesting one...and makes total sense in terms of future Cayman models or variants derived from the Caymen design layout of chassis.

AFAIK Porsche will eventually 'have' to move over to the Cayman platform and layout design in order to be able to 'move on' in terms of progressing performance and handling beyond what the 911 design/platform is capable of !

So in this respect, I can understand dodgey's decision to go Cayman over 911, but the current model Cayman is not there yet, as it has been purposely detuned and under equipped by Porsche to make sure the 911 stays superior...a full technology equipped Cayman will totally outperform the 911 - that much is already known, but because of a predicted World wide backlash by 911 diehards, Porsche is relunctant to do it - however in time they'll have to as competition starts eating them up and they will be forced to go with the flow :wink:
Appreciate 0