BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Warranty work can only be denied, but not "voided".
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #24
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
How would a bolt or screw in CP wouldn't go through turbos and FMIC. ... It would get sucked straight in. All sounds like BMW BS though.

If a bolt went in on the intake side and hit the impeller it would send what remains of it and shrapnel into intake which would then go into the engine. In theory, it is very possible. Some cars have a small grate in the intake tube to keep out big objects but don't know if our cars do. My E46 had such a grate on the air flow sensor that connected to the air cleaner housing. I guess the bottom line is the only thing you want going into your intake is AIR!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #25
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yes the warranty will be voided and you can refer this issue directley with the dealer before installing any of the parts ...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #26
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Has anyone NOT taken their cars to the dealer during the 4 years of free service and just had it done elsewhere (non-BMW dealer)? What exactly are you missing? Free air filters, plugs and oil/filters?

I'm thinking of just taking my car to a well known local shop that specializes in BMWs and have him do all the work (basically, follow the same schedule to the letter and document it all in case I need warranty service)

Anyone tried this? Basically avoid dealer till you need warranty work, at which point you "stock out".
      01-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"Warranty" and "causational link" can be flexible notions if you're considered to be a faithful customer (purchase and maintenance) + (in the eyes of the dealership) have the potential of future brand loyalty + approach issues in a serene way.

Only when lawyers and insurers are called in, significant amounts are at stake and/or a reputation is challenged, things might get pretty rigid.

If a dealership fixes something for you despite a possible warranty issue, such client care may be part of the equation when you're considering getting a new car.

Talking from personal experience: my dealership is at a further distance from home than many other dealerships, but that's because they walked an extra mile for me in the past. Acquainted with my cars + never let down by them. That client care was/is appreciated and not forgotten: they got my 1M order and secured future maintenance. Long-term win-win situation in doing business. Fringe benefits for both. If the M2 Coupé really becomes a very interesting option someday in the future, I will first ring their bell.

A guarantee to be helped out if future issues arise ? No, but regardless the outcome you stand a fairly good chance that they will give their level best to get things right ("Hello HQ, a long-term good client of us has an issue with his car") ...as long as no remap tuning was ever carried out (because that's kinda locking yourself out - you'll be left to your own devices).

Valid word of caution of forum fellow mlhj83:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Any remap is detectable, but not by the dealership. If there is a major issue with the engine or ECU, the ECU data does get sent back to BMW M for scrutiny and any tempering will be picked up even if the remap is no longer there. If you manage to convince any reputable tuner to state it in writing that their remap is undetectable, then I would surely like to know. There are still logs that show data values have been changed, even when original values are put back. I had a DME malfunction and it was sent back to Munich before a replacement was sent back 3 weeks later. I didn't have a remap however. Nothing wrong with remapping, but one has to accept a certain level of risk.