BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Vert all the way.. I have had mine since June/08 had the roof up and down numerous times with no probs..

I have the moonlight black roof and it looks awesome under sun/moonlight..

As far as blind spots with the roof up its just a matter of adjusting the near side mirror further out than the norm so that to see your rear quarter you virtually have to lean over the passenger seat...never been a problem since with blind spots..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #24
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Before thinking about getting vert, think why do you need it? It is too hot when hot outside it is too cold when cold outside, vert is slower than coupe, handling worse. Chick magnet? No way. So go with coupe, it has also less feminine look. And at last coupe is cheaper, get extra options for saved money.

PS blind spot? 1ser is the fastest car on road you shouldn’t look aside, nobody can catch you.
      03-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
Before thinking about getting vert, think why do you need it? It is too hot when hot outside it is too cold when cold outside, vert is slower than coupe, handling worse. Chick magnet? No way. So go with coupe, it has also less feminine look. And at last coupe is cheaper, get extra options for saved money.

PS blind spot? 1ser is the fastest car on road you shouldn’t look aside, nobody can catch you.
This post confuses me. Don't you have a 135 vert?

As for which one, like the saying goes, if I had to explain you wouldn't understand.

Cabrio all the way.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #26
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

feminine look to the vert, eh?

Didnt think of it that way... Maybe I'm nieve. Do more women than men buy verts? Even when it comes to "luxury" cars?

I think I see a lot more men in MB SL roadsters (for example, as that is a vert that catches my eye) than women. In chrysler sebrings, perhaps it is the other way around, but in high-end relatively high performance cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:

Ahhh... can't have a 'vert discussion without the over-done debate popping up it's head.

I see more women driving Mustang coupe's.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #28
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Its really sad. I tell people I have a BMW 135i. They are like ok, ok thats sweet. Then they see its a vert, and they call me a girl. Im like what the hell, its an awesome car and I love it.

Guess its a thing, chicks dig verts?
      03-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

I always check drivers of convertibles and I can tell that majority of them are women, gay looking guys, and men having a mid age crisis. I drive convertible too, but it was my wife’s pick.
      03-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #30
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

I have a vert and with the windscreen, the top literally never goes up. It stays down until its about 18ºf outside.

Ain't no chicks in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #31
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always check drivers of convertibles and I can tell that majority of them are women, gay looking guys, and men having a mid age crisis. I drive convertible too, but it was my wife’s pick.
wow. I don't fit into any of those categories. Whats my issue with coupes? I dont know why I just like verts.
      03-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #32
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
The car would be a 3rd/4th car, but would also likely be a DD for the most part.
Yeah, well, just be advised that that may change.

I, too, was all jacked up when I got my cab. Everyone flocked around me like I was a rock star. And let's face it; much about a vert is ego. It's about being seen, more so than it is about performance. If it were more about performance than certainly the coupe reigns as king. Nothing inherently wrong with wanting to shimmer in the sunshine for all to see, unless you're an incurable narcissist.

As far as the rattles go, mine didn't really start until I'd had it about 18 months. Oddly it started in one of the front arm rests. I'd take it in and they'd tweak it. After which it would be fine for about 4 months, then it was right back in for the same arm rest. Then a couple of months later the other arm rest started acting up.

No doubt dealerships love selling verts not only for the additional sales revenue, but also because they know invariably over the life of the warranty it's going to be back in 2 or 3 times for rattles alone. That's virtually a dead lock cert.

I have no intention of raining on anyone's parade. Experienced cab owners know what they are getting into.

But I just think first time owners, who have no real clue what's it’s like to live with a cab daily, need to be cognizant that everything isn't sunshine and lollipops. After living with it a couple of years I guarantee some of the bloom will come off of the rose, particularly for those in the cooler climes.

But knowing what I know now if I had to do it over again, I'd still make the same decision and get the vert. It's just one of those things that gets under your skin and won't be satiated until you buy one and try it on for size.

And if after a while you find like me that it doesn't 'fit', then the excellent thing about verts is that resale value is solid (unless you get some oddball combo). After 2.5 years of ownership I got back almost 85% (excluding taxes) of what I paid for it.

It was bittersweet to let it go. And God willing, some day I'll get back into one. It just won't be until I'm somewhere year round warmer.

Where the top is down just about once a day, and I can smile up into the blue clear sky and thank Him for this as well as other blessings He's given me. Hopefully that'll be back home; in the heaven on earth I know as Monterey.

Anyway, I think the only final decision you need to make now is the hardest one; what color combo to go with.

Me? I'm someone who likes unusual color combinations. My vert was Steel Grey with Tanin red (think of Coral red, only with more snap) leather.

Make mine Le Mans blue with Lemon leather and Moonlight black roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Well, that's the old jab at guys that like 'verts... to kind of threaten our masculinity... but I just don't buy into that. I think it's BS. I really do.

I know a lot of guys around here that have convertibles, and we are some of the most macho guys you could ever get to know.

So, earlier today, I thought I'd keep an open mind and see for myself who was driving convertibles, just on a random look. So, after my son's little league game, (I'm one of the coaches)... we went to get some fast food. Here's what I saw... exactly...

First up was an older 3-Series convertible in a parking lot, with a dad behind the wheel with his son in the car. He and his son didn't look quite as athletic as my son and I, but then again, they weren't wearing the team uniforms and baseball caps like we were... but the dad certainly looked like a normal guy in every way, in about his mid-thirties. Nothing gay, female or mid-life crisis anywhere to be found.

Next up was a Mustang convertible at a gas station, and a teenage boy got out. He was really tall and athletic looking. Again, nothing gay-looking, female or mid-life crisis.

Then, at the same gas station, there was a brand new powder blue VW bug convertible with a young and cute girl behind the wheel. She fit the car perfectly. So, in this case, we have a female in a bug convertible... which makes sense, IMO.

It wasn't long before I saw a Honda S2000 driven by a guy in about his 40's. He had on a baseball cap, looked kind of tough, and there was nothing gay-looking about him, and I doubt it was a mid-life crisis, because I just think he'd have been in a different car.

Then came another BMW. This time a 6-Series convertible driving the other direction, but I was able to catch a glimpse of a guy, not a gal, driving it. Couldn't see much else, though.

Up next was a red old classic VW beetle convertible. I thought for sure it would be a girl driver, but when I caught up to it to see... it was a huge guy! He was not gay-looking, but his car sure made me think he had to be gay... LOL.

Just before getting back to my house, I drove past one of our neighbors who was driving his old Boxster, which is of course, a convertible. He is married with a daughter, isn't gay-looking, nor is he going through a mid-life crisis, as he's had the car for almost ten years.

And then, finally, there was just me and my son pulling in the garage with our baseball threads on, holding a bag of drive-thru fast-food. Damned typical.

So... I'll keep looking for a while, but so far... there's not even a hint of truth to it.

But, unlike you, I would never let my wife pick my car. LOL. (j/k)

TM
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #34
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
What a load of CRAP... You must lead a very sheltered life to come up with that conclusion..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 04:00 AM   #35
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

You live in New Jersey apparently. How is weather year round there? If you lived in California, then a vert would be the obv choice. But, NJ? Think think and think again before you buy.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #36
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Ordinarily, I'd say a convertible in any place north of Kentucky is a waste of money, considering how many months you can actually drive around reasonably with the top down. And, personally, I think convertibles to be a lot more fun to look at than actually drive in with the top down. If I wanted to ride in the open, I'd buy a motorcycle.

(The best way to tell if you really enjoy convertibles is to rent one from a place like Hertz for a week. We rented a Mustang convertible on vacation in Vegas a few years ago. The first two days, the top was down all the time. Then, after we got tired of the wind and the road noise, and the smell of exhaust fumes from nearby trucks or busses, and always having to slather suntan lotion on before getting in the car, we put the top up. And it stayed up for the rest of the vacation. Next trip - this time in Arizona - we just rented a regular coupe.)

I also agree with your aesthetic criticism of the 1-series convertible. When it's up, the roof just doesn't quite look right on the car from certain angles.

But, with all that said, if you find your head hitting the ceiling in the coupe (was the seat at its lowest position?) and fitting perfectly in the convertible, wouldn't you be kicking yourself every day for getting the coupe as you bump your head on the ceiling? Don't spend five figures on something that doesn't fit.

My advice: Buy the convertible or look for a different (bigger) car that you actually fit comfortably in. You can probably get good deals on some CPO'd 3-series coupes or sedans right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #37
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Everyone is different. I am not a convertible guy, especially is Chicago, where 6 months is winter (Snowing heavy out now). My wife wanted the Convertible, and wanted the 135 due to the power. I have seen all types drive all types of converts. Now the funniest I would have to say is when mu cousin down in TX drives his wifes VW Beetle Vert. He suffers from no ego identification problem being a former Force Recon Marine, even though he does not looks as athletic as he did 40 years ago. Then again, either do I. If you can get out of bed each day, drive what you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #38
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Everyone is different. I am not a convertible guy, especially is Chicago, where 6 months is winter (Snowing heavy out now). My wife wanted the Convertible, and wanted the 135 due to the power. I have seen all types drive all types of converts. Now the funniest I would have to say is when mu cousin down in TX drives his wifes VW Beetle Vert. He suffers from no ego identification problem being a former Force Recon Marine, even though he does not looks as athletic as he did 40 years ago. Then again, either do I. If you can get out of bed each day, drive what you want.

My uncle is the same way. He and my aunt live down in Texas and his truck broke down (My uncle was Navy Special Forces). So he had to take my aunt's Eos.
      03-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #39
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
You live in New Jersey apparently. How is weather year round there? If you lived in California, then a vert would be the obv choice. But, NJ? Think think and think again before you buy.
Well, take right now... late march, 50 degrees out. Perfect for being outside. I can imagine that it can be a bit cool with the top down (wind chill type heat loss), but with seat heaters and the heat on, can it be bad?

I rarely commute during the heat of the day. Most of my driving is before 9 or after 5. Even in the summer when it is real hot Ive avoided the worst part of the day.

I have to imagine that with out weather, I can get 8 months use out of it, and that is the assumption Im running off of.

We had a rental vert (mustang) in Dallas, TX, middle of summer, driving in the middle of the day - that was hot, but we still enjoyed it. Cold doesnt bother me, and I don't drive a fast commute - 45-50 MPH is my max speed, so I dont see that as an issue either.

Am I thinking about usability the wrong way? Im not going to use it at noon on a 100F day, nor on any day that has rain, snow, or sub-30F weather... But that still leaves a LOT of beautiful days in our area...

Your thoughts/advice???
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #40
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Waaah, you drive a vert cause your wife picked it - isn't that sweet..
I guess we can add "insecure pussy-whipped males" to your list of vert drivers..
      03-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #41
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Waaah, you drive a vert cause your wife picked it - isn't that sweet..
I guess we can add "insecure pussy-whipped males" to your list of vert drivers..
That's hilarious. I sort of suggested that to him at the end of my post, a few posts back, but without being so "direct". His list is the typical bunch of BS, but, man, he sure did set himself up. Good one, Carnut.

TM
      03-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #42
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
ugh

this is why you guys can't have nice things
Appreciate 0