BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

BMW 1M in Swedish Automobils A-Sprint test

Swedish carmagazine automobil have a test that they call "A Sprint" where they test different car in a special track. The 1M performs really well in this list as you can see below:
http://www.automobil.se/tester/provk...rintlista-1427

Faster than cars like: (yes all cars are factory if no comment in the list)
Audi R8 (V8), Audi RS5, RS3, RS4, BMW M6, Porsche Cayman R, BMW M3 E90, Subaru Impreza, Lancer Evo, Audi R8 V10 Spyder, Porsche 997 Carrera 4S, Corvette C6, Mercedes SLS AMG.

Here they explain how the A-Sprint test is working (In Swedish but try google translate or similar). Its a test where hard acceleration/braking, slalom, curves, braking in curves accelerating in curves etc. So it will quickly show weaknesses in a car.
http://www.automobil.se/slask/asprint-1328

Last edited by hybris4u; 08-07-2012 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: forgot the link
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Seems like the test of overall sportiness of a car, a la Sport-Auto Supertest ratings maybe? Taking the 23rd spot ahead of cars like those including its direct competitors (just Evora is missing, TT RS, RS3, Cayman R and 370Z are all behind) is cool. 1M is the best scored BMW in that list ahead of M6; which generation of M6 I wonder.

There are slightly suspicious things in the list though, how come a Cayman S and a Boxster S perform better than the R for instance?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Tied a Ford GT!!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Regarding the Porche Cayman S and the Boxter S. The boxter might be the new one. One reason the Cayman S might perform better than the R could be that the power is better optimized for the slalom etc. I did see that a lot of muscle cars performed really bad as they are not optimized for the combination of accelerating hard, braking hard, slalom, accelerating hard in corners, braking hard in corners. They did put the track to test all elements so the all up balance of the car will give better times. Just my thought on a possible reason for the Cayman R performing worse than its less powerful friends... But there might be some other explanation.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Regarding the Porche Cayman S and the Boxter S. The boxter might be the new one. One reason the Cayman S might perform better than the R could be that the power is better optimized for the slalom etc. I did see that a lot of muscle cars performed really bad as they are not optimized for the combination of accelerating hard, braking hard, slalom, accelerating hard in corners, braking hard in corners. They did put the track to test all elements so the all up balance of the car will give better times. Just my thought on a possible reason for the Cayman R performing worse than its less powerful friends... But there might be some other explanation.
R has insignificant power jump over the S. It is all about performing as good as possible vs. the S version which is still more comfort oriented so I doubt that in any serious test a S can perform better than the R. My bet these tests are done with different drivers/reviewers at different times of the year so the results vary a bit more than ideal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
R has insignificant power jump over the S. It is all about performing as good as possible vs. the S version which is still more comfort oriented so I doubt that in any serious test a S can perform better than the R. My bet these tests are done with different drivers/reviewers at different times of the year so the results vary a bit more than ideal.
Yeah, this makes sense.

The R is lighter and more powerful than the S and was always the one being thrown at the 1M in head-to-heads (leading many of us to start conspiracy theories )
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

You can check how the track and tests are setup on the second link.

I also think its possible to find each test but they are in Swedish.

Sure they have different drivers but they do drive multiple times. But different time of the year for sure. Would be interesting to understand the difference between those seemingly strange details.

Did read some tests where more powerful versions like the Mustang actually performed worse as there where more wheelspinn etc making for a slower time. But again no expert on Cayman and Boxter. Most German cars perform better with the more powerful versions I agree on that. So this is a strange thing that I would love to understand. If its just different drivers or what... Should be something more than that! I will ask them on their facebook site!

I have the test with the 1M and its the best time they have ever done in a BMW. They also state that good brakes, tyres, chassie, steering, balance is much more important than power on this short track. All stuff that the 1M was designed around. Proven by the KTM/Atom clearly in the lead.
Appreciate 0