BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
roscoe
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 135i White w/M Sport

HPFP: Does dealership always try a software fix first?

I know there's been plenty written on this forum regarding HPFP issues. My car is at the shop right now because of long cranks (only when engine is cool, for now) that have been going on for a month or two.

What I want to know is, do dealerships always opt to try the software fix first, then explore the possiblity of replacing the pump if the software doesn't work? Or are there cases where the dealership skips the software crap and just replaces the pump from the outset? If the latter, under what circumstances or conditions does that occur (other than the car not starting at all)?

Finally, I've read that the software "fix" is not really a fix at all, but rather a temporary band-aid designed to hide the fact that a faulty HPFP will eventually fail altogether, no matter what. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
In these days of electronics, a software fix is always the first alternative. I got the same crap about my radio,"let's see if the next software upgrade fixes it"
      06-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
dbtk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I had the software upgrade done and I still have issues with long cranks. I decided not to bother until the HPFP actually starts to fail. Not worth having th car in the shop for a week while they try to figure out how to flash correctly with my DINAN Stage 2.
      06-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Finally, I've read that the software "fix" is not really a fix at all, but rather a temporary band-aid designed to hide the fact that a faulty HPFP will eventually fail altogether, no matter what.
Hard to say for certain, but it seems reasonable. If nothing was actually wrong with the fuel pump, long cranks would not have begun to appear.

My view is that the HPFP is slowly deteriorating over time from new. The software fix masks those symptoms for awhile until the point where the car begins to run roughly or throw codes at which point BMW will replace the pump.

Pity it takes that long...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
AntonV
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sedona/Savanna 135i

just got my car back yesterday for long cranks. they only did a software update.

2005 BMW F650 GS - Mandarin Yellow - Farkled
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

delete

Last edited by IZAGLO; 06-23-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
just got my car back yesterday for long cranks. they only did a software update
Same here. They said if it was running rough they would have done the pump, but it wasn't...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
BahamaBart
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

visit 1 - we moved plugs and injectors around
visit 2 - we replaced plugs
visit 3 - we replaced some injectors and an ECU update (fuel pump would come on when I opened the car door).
visit 4 - got my car back today - replaced HPFP, replaced rear tail lights (they said there was an issue and they are replacing all of them), had commented about radio on/off issues and they replaced it. Also reflashed ECU.

4th time was a charm.
Exterior Bling| Kerscher splitter |
Interior Bling | Bimmian pedals | 3P Cars gauage |
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
In these days of electronics, a software fix is always the first alternative. I got the same crap about my radio,"let's see if the next software upgrade fixes it"
I had the software update that was supposed to address the no audio problem, where the car is running and the audio system is powered but there is no sound. Well, I haven't had a no audio problem for nearly a month so I thought the software fixed it. Nope. Yesterday morning, power on, no sound. I had to shut the car off, just like before, and restart, then the audio came on.

So, the software did NOT fix the audio problem.
Did it fix my long cranks?
Well, in my case, the long cranks started when the weather turned colder. The software update was done a month ago and it has been warm since then, so I can't give a definitive "yes". That said, I have not had a long crank since the software update. However, I still have occasional idle studder just like before when a rather hard studder resulted in a yellow dash light.

So far, my opinion is that the software is a band-aid.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
roscoe
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 135i White w/M Sport

Update:

Got my car back a few days ago. The long cranks have stopped, fortunately, which were occurring in both warm and cold weather. I've also noticed some side benefits from the software:

1. The engine seems to run a lot smoother. Not that it ran rough before - it just feels more refined and responsive now.

2. I have noticed a considerable improvement on fuel economy, at least on the highway. Before the fix I was returning about 28 mpg @75 mph (sometimes as high as 30 mpg, but that was rare). Nowadays, however, I am seeing more like 32-33 mpg, driving the same route at the same speeds.

Has anyone encountered either of these phenomena after getting the software update?

I do hope that these changes are permanent. But if the software fix is just a temporary band-aid solutions as most of you say, I'm bummed out that the cranking issue might reappear and the side benefits disappear. I sure hope not...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
rotts4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 TDI

I had the software done several months ago and so far no more long cranks. Now when I approach the car and hit the unlock button I can hear the fuel pump running to build pressure, same thing happens if I open the door and dont use the key fob.
      07-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
My car is currently in for long cranks. Been happening for about a month now. Not very long, perhaps 3 seconds would be the longest but more usual about 1-2 seconds. Only happens when it's cold and only on the first crank of the day. Have not had any dash warning lights or fuel pump codes thrown. Car is actually running very smoothly with good fuel consumption.

However, I did not fancy being stuck somewhere with a failed hpfp. My SA actually did say that BMW were being more difficult with changing out the hpfp without first trying out the software programming.

Got the call back today to say my car was getting a new fuel pump, no arguments from BMW Australia. Great result, very happy with that!
Appreciate 0