BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2009, 07:17 AM   #45
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

How to Park a Car on a Hill

http://www.ehow.com/how_2038054_park-car-hill.html

Contributor
By eHow Contributing Writer
Article Rating: (14 Ratings)
A car parked on an incline can roll downhill, forward or backward if the parking brake is not set or not working properly, or if the car is not braced against the curb. Follow these simple steps when parking your car on a hill with or without a curb.

From Quick Guide: Driver's Training 101 How to Parallel Park a Car

A car parked on an incline can roll downhill, forward or backward if the parking brake is not set or not working

With a Curb

Step 1 Parallel park but stop within six inches of the curb.

Step 2 Brace the wheels against the curb. To brace your car when parking downhill, turn your wheels toward the curb and drive forward slowly until the wheel is against the curb. To brace your car when parking uphill, turn your wheels sharply away from the curb and back up slowly until the rear of the tire is against the curb.

Step 3 Set the parking brake.

Step 4 Put the car in the proper gear, reverse, low gear or park.

Step 5 Turn off the switch.

Without a Curb

Step 1 Parallel park as in the previous section.

Step 2 Turn your wheels sharply to the right. If the car should roll, it will roll away from the flow of traffic.

Step 3 Set the parking brake.

Step 4 Put the car in the proper gear, reverse, low gear or park.

Step 5 Turn off the switch.

Last edited by Lester; 11-07-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #46
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Recall Alert: Jeep Liberty and Dodge Nitro

Chrysler has issued a recall for 3,663 SUVs, including the 2007-08 Dodge Nitro and the 2008 Jeep Liberty. When equipped with a manual transmission, those vehicles may have a faulty parking brake system, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The brake lever clutch drum may distort over time, allowing the parking brake to slip and cause an accident if the vehicle were to roll. Dealers will replace the parking brake lever for free.

Owners can contact Chrysler at 800-853-1403 or the NHTSA hotline at 888-327-4236.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/nitro/

Last edited by Lester; 11-07-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:26 AM   #47
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

this isnt a jeep forum
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #48
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Parking a Fifth Wheel or Travel Trailer
Try to avoid parking on grades. If possible, have someone outside to guide you as you park. Once stopped, but before shifting into Park, have someone place blocks on the downhill side of the trailer wheels. Apply the parking brake, shift into Park, and then remove your foot from the brake pedal. Following this parking sequence is important to make sure your vehicle does not become locked in Park because of extra load on the transmission. For manual transmissions, apply the parking brake and then turn the vehicle off in either first or reverse gear.
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/travel-...fety-tips.html

Last edited by Lester; 11-07-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #49
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
this isnt a jeep forum
Thank you for that, we were discussing whether ot not parking brakes are always safe and whether or not to leave the parked car in gear or not.

The people rest, your honor.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #50
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: LMB 118d M Sport

Getting back to the OP's original question. I'm pretty sure I read about an auxiliary heater option that could be set to come on automatically to pre-heat the interior of the car before you got in. My guess is that if this option is available anywhere it would be in Europe?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #51
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Do you mean the Residual Heat button (REST)? That only works when you shut the engine off, and keeps the heater on for 15 minutes or so. I haven't ever heard of an interior pre heater - that would drain the battery fairly quicky - since it wouldn't have any hot engine coolant to generate heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #52
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

for those of you with iphones:
http://www.viper.com/

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #53
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahdout View Post
for those of you with iphones:
http://www.viper.com/
Nice - but does it work on the 1 series?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #54
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Thank you for that, we were discussing whether ot not parking brakes are always safe and whether or not to leave the parked car in gear or not.

The people rest, your honor.
And I thought the OP was asking about remote start. THAT's what this thread is about, not parking brakes.
      12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #55
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Size View Post
Getting back to the OP's original question. I'm pretty sure I read about an auxiliary heater option that could be set to come on automatically to pre-heat the interior of the car before you got in. My guess is that if this option is available anywhere it would be in Europe?
How is that the OPs original question?
      12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #56
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

So... was/is there ever a remote start for the 1er?
      12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #57
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Not that we ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #58
Offkilt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 550xdrive

Are there any aftermarket remote starts that work with the original key?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #59
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Apparently the younger generation doesn't really understand how to leave a manual transmission car when parked. We were always taught to leave in gear.

I've lived in many hilly cities including San Fransisco. To rely on the PB alone is simply an accident waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #60
foofopps
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

You are all douche bags for posting about parking brakes! The OP asked about a remote start. Start your own thread about how smart you are for putting your car in gear AND setting the parking brake!

To the OP, remote starters can be put on vehicles with keys like ours. Usually a key is tucked away behind the glove box or dash. The most common problems deal with bypassing alarm systems and if you have comfort access that could be very problematic. Also you have to realize your car will be more vulnerable to left with security features bypassed but don't worry, even though I clearly stated that fact, these parking brake douche bags will chime in shortly and give you their 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #61
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofopps View Post
You are all douche bags for posting about parking brakes! The OP asked about a remote start. Start your own thread about how smart you are for putting your car in gear AND setting the parking brake!

To the OP, remote starters can be put on vehicles with keys like ours. Usually a key is tucked away behind the glove box or dash. The most common problems deal with bypassing alarm systems and if you have comfort access that could be very problematic. Also you have to realize your car will be more vulnerable to left with security features bypassed but don't worry, even though I clearly stated that fact, these parking brake douche bags will chime in shortly and give you their 2 cents.
You only said douche bag twice. To make a point - you need to say it at least three times. Epic Fail
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 04:22 AM   #62
jimmie004
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Exclamation Remote start is more than possible. It is reality.

Yes I'm raising this from the dead..but for good reason.

I'm not sure whether to applaud the unique ability folks have to continuously keep your thread off topic or give myself a face palm. I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqcopter View Post
Has anybody added a remote start to their cars yet? I'd imagine it would be very difficult because of the kind of key our cars have. Opinions?
Yes I have added it, and I installed it personally. Took about 30 minutes and I haven't had any issues. It is a plug and play kit that uses the factory alarm and allows you to use the factory fob to control the start/shutoff with a triple click of the lock button. Or you can add a module which allows you to send commands through the phone.

No wires tapped, no keys hidden, no bypassing, no parking brakes falling apart, no threads being jacked... just a simple plug and play over your lunch break.

I created a DIY thread for anyone who is still looking to do this.

I hope this puts to rest all of the false rumors that remote start isn't possible or extremely difficult on our cars.
Appreciate 0