BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

TPMS Malfunction

I had some Dunlop zII put on my rear summer wheels at a large national chain and they would not mount any tires unless I bought TPM sensors and had them installed. I guess it is a new federal mandate that states that any car that came with TPMS must have them in tires when new wheels are put on. I personally hate TPMS as I monitor my own tire pressures and adjust them if I go to the track or AutoX. All these things do is annoy me so I was not happy on dropping about $250 for another set to go in my summer wheels. They set the system to reset and I drove off with the car in process of resetting. After driving to work today the light was still on but it no longer was trying to reset so I selected the TPM reset again and after about ten miles I got a message saying TPM Malfuntion! Then the light started a slow boing and eventually went solid so I went back. After telling them over and over that the psi was not low and it has already been reset twice they eventually looked to make sure the were the correct units. They said they were and then put some scanner tool by the sensors to check that they were working and said all four were. They ended up resetting the system again and I drove home to give the system a chance to reset. The light is still on after getting home and letting it run for about 5 more mins. Anybody know what is going on or how to resolve it? Could it have been that they tried to reset the system while my winter wheels were inside the car with 4 more TPMS that had been paired and functioning when I went in? Thanks for your time.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
JohnnyDrunko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

They used the wrong sensors. If your car was built before 09/2010 they use the TPMS sensors for the years 2008-2010. I also have a 2011 135i and I just went through the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, I was thinking that was most likely the case.
2011 BMW 135i DCT M Sport, black sapphire metallic,Coral red tint, black line tail lights, back grils, BMW Performance spoiler, Apex ARC8, 235/265 Dunlop ZIIs, Ohlins coilovers w/ Swift springs, M3 front bits, Whiteline rear sub frame bushings, Vorshlag camber plates, Stoptech pads, stud conversion, spacers, bms intake
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Brian@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Yep, most likely. You can call the dealer with your VIN and have them give you the correct OE number and compare it to what the tire shop gave you. Also make sure they sold you either OEM BMW or OE Huf sensors and not "knock off" parts. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep

Four trips to the tire shop later I have everything set up. My car is a 9/2010 build and I needed the early sensors. I treated the guys there with curtesy and respect and they treated me and my car the same. I know things don't always go as planned but now I think these guys will do whatever they can for me in the future because of my patience with this issue. I know it is kind of weird but I think this has all turned out for the best. I am the kind of guy who wants to have a mechanic that knows my car and does all the work on it. I guess now I have a tire guy too.
Appreciate 0