BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
JHZR2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Help! How much of my ABS system is failing?

2011 135i, 21k miles, owned since new.

A month or so ago, I got an ABS warning light. Did a bit of investigation, even made this little thread:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1492230

Long story short, using Carly app, I found that last time I had the following:

1) Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 0032D3
Fault Explanation:Vehicle speed, wheel speed rear / left, electrical: malfunction
Fault Code: 0032C9
Fault Explanation:Rough road detection: No receive wheel speed

2) Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 005DB1
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left extrapolation.
Fault Code: 005DB3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left detecting starting v comparison.

So I got a brand new ATE sensor, which was exactly the same as OE, and installed it. No big deal. Drove the car a good deal, all was well, until it wasnt.

Today, not many drives (the car isnt a DD and it has rained a LOT) later, after a full day of use, probably 40 miles of driving, all the lights come back on. This time, the result is worse...

1) Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 0032D6
Fault Explanation:Vehicle speed, wheel speed sensor rear / right, electrically: Malfunction
Fault Code: 0032C9
Fault Explanation:Rough road detection: No receive wheel speed

2) Dynamische Stabilitaets Kontrolle / DSC
Fault Code: 005DB1
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left extrapolation.
Fault Code: 005DB3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear left detecting starting v comparison.
Fault Code: 005DC3
Fault Explanation:Speed sensor, rear right detecting starting v comparison.

UGH!! So now it looks like an electrical malfunction, which wasnt clear to me to be the case before. Its not taking data, the known good and recently replaced left side sensor is "failed" as is the right!

A friend had joked that maybe it was just that the right side had now passed its time... Not sure if I can confirm that to be the case. The errors look awfully the same, but isnt it odd that the left side would come back along with the right?

Also, is the 32D3 error, "Vehicle speed, wheel speed rear / left, electrical: malfunction" actually the same thing as the 32D6 error Im getting now, "Vehicle speed, wheel speed sensor rear / right, electrically: Malfunction"

Key difference is the word "sensor".

Unfortunately the N55 master code list doesnt have all of these, so I am at a bit of a loss. Im fairly worried that this is going to be a dealer trip with a $3k repair. I do have to bring it in for the airbag recall, but I didnt really want to bring it un under this context.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Any idea where the control module is for ABS/DSC? I wonder if it is possible to check the harnesses and the status of the computer. As mentioned, it did rain a LOT over the last few weeks, so I didnt drive the car much. I wonder if some water got somewhere...

Any thoughts or recommendations??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
gixracer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i slicktop heavilly modded

Looks like you may have to replace the other side now. It went from left to the right side. Is your brake warning staying on? If so it might be just the sensor. it also is stating that your going over bumps with the throttle engaged. That happens quite a bit over rough roads.

the sensor connections are under the fender felt in the wheel well, as you know from replacing the first one. the dsc is in the engine bay under the left rear cover. it is rare to have a dsc produce that specific of a code and be failing. make sure when replacing the sensors that they sit the proper depth and are clean.

hope that gives you a direction to go
      06-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
JHZR2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Thanks! Yes it's reassuring since I'd hate to have a huge DSC replacement bill. Hopefully it is the sensor - guess it was "good" engineering that the other side failed so close in time to the first...

Isn't it odd that the other side (that was replaced) is coming up again?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
chris_flies
Fun incoming
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically...

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I'd make sure that the connections are clean, use some CRC Electronics Cleaner or MAF Sensor Cleaner, there could be a bit of dirt or something in the connector fouling the connection.
Appreciate 0