BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Always wondered about that. But now I realize it's because BMW's maybe too fun to drive to allow to sit in basically museums and never be driven. A post I made on FB that I think describes it:

"OK, for those of you who are not car enthusiast, move on. This probably won't interest you. For those of you who are, have made an observation watching the Barrett Jackson Auctions in Scottsdale. I now understand why car culture is dying. As with most other things, it's because of money. Now, don't get me wrong, one of the highlights of my year is watching this auction. The car artistry is amazing. Love drooling over these beautiful machines. But here is the problem, I dream of taking these cars and cruising down the street with them. Taking them to cars and coffee meets, and local club events and showing them off to other enthusiasts who will appreciate them. Basically driving them so they can be enjoyed. But I I have observed the best of them, are being bought and sold to make a profit. And I can understand that. But it's been taken to an extreme. I'm seeing old, rich guys, buying these cars and putting them in collections, held in climate controlled vaults to be only seen by a few, till they are sold for a profit a year or two later. This is a shame. Value is dependent upon how little the car is exposed and driven. The worst thing I have seen is what's called a barn find, these are cars that are found in bad shape, and kept that way, because it's "ORIGINAL". Does not matter that the car is not at its best, just matters that it's more valuable and will make people more money as is instead of reaching its potential.
This post again won't appeal to everybody. When I grew up, cars where important. They represented freedom and individuality. I hear that millennials don't even want to own cars. I wonder if it's because the ones out today, mostly, are so generic and uninteresting. That is a shame. Guess maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but this is a great part of America that is dying.
Alright, old guy rant over."
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I like to buy old things and use them too. I own a couple of early Savage Arms pistols (1907 and 1917 models) which I take regularly to the range to enjoy. Everyone who tries them is impressed and grateful for the chance. Most really good examples of these early semi-autos are locked away in collections.

My BMW 135i is my daily driver. Snow, rain, whatever. With a good maintenance plan and a little luck, I will be able to enjoy it for long years to come.

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Very silly perspective IMO. Just watching auctions gives you a very skewed view of the auto enthusiast community. That's a specific type of car guy usually. There is a high percentage of collectors. Like I said, that's jut a type of car guy. IDK what makes you think car culture is dying.
Appreciate 1
Dat Aus116.50
      01-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I'm sorry but that first sentence is one of the silliest things I have ever read.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

I think it is simple. The first big effort at importing BMWs was in 1969 with the BMW 2002. Go look at the other cars available from the 50s and 60s and tell me why anyone would buy that. Then it wasn't until the early 90s when BMW bought a company and opened production facilities in the USA that they started getting lots of cars on the road.

Badass classic Barrett Jackson type BMWs just dont exist here.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
True, you will probably start seeing them in a few years once BMWs like 635csi, 850i and M3 start to really become rare. Last time I looked I could get a 12 cyl 8 series for $12-15k. But the value will go up considerably as we start driving around with batteries for engines.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
A quote I heard that's always spoken to me:

"Not driving your car to keep the resale value high is like not banging your girlfriend to keep her fresh for the next guy."
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Barrett Jackson is really more of the muscle car crowd. Think Corn Dogs and Light Beer. BJ has never really been a place for European collector cars though you might see one or two squeak through occasionally.

There aren't a whole lot of true BMW collector car prior to the 1970s. The early 328 and 507 to name a couple. M3s and M6s and certainly 3.0 CSLs may become collectible in the future but never to the level of what you see Enzo era Ferraris sell for.
Appreciate 0