BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

M3 Tension Struts Installed

I installed the control arms and tension struts from the m3 and puts the toe in out of whack 35mm so trying to drive the car down to get a wheel alignment was a bit of drama but after the wheel alignment what a difference stays very flat in corners less understeer and firmer ride on the front turns in quicker as well a recommended mod for 135and 335 love it really does not need the m3 sways yet but I'm still on runflats at the moment.
A very cheap mod. excellent.
Camber is now -.3 as -.7 was a bit too much.
      06-28-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice one Chappy! Did you do this yourself? I'm hoping to do it shortly. Who did your alignment?
      06-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I found that the sway, whilst not taking away understeer, helps balance the new found grip at the front better. Also makes the great front grip feel more natural. But I can perfectly understand not feeling the need for the sway. I felt the same...until it got added.

BTW, I would have kept the -0.7 camber. BMWs have a tendency to wear out the outside of tyres quicker in just normal driving, so the extra bit shouldn't have negative wear issues.
      06-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Nice one Chappy! Did you do this yourself? I'm hoping to do it shortly. Who did your alignment?
I did on sunday the worse part is the plastic covers on the wheel arch and underneath you need a special tool for the end of the ball joint.
Ace tyres next to midas recommended tingalpa how has bmws all the time club discount at midas excellent service took a while and only charge $77 front and back very experience.
      06-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #5
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I did on sunday the worse part is the plastic covers on the wheel arch and underneath you need a special tool for the end of the ball joint.
Ace tyres next to midas recommended tingalpa how has bmws all the time club discount at midas excellent service took a while and only charge $77 front and back very experience.
Justin at Midas looked after you did he? Yeah, he races a BMW and set up my last two E30s. I live just down the road in Murarrie. Might go and have a chat to him.
      06-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post

So what kind of special tool did you use? How did you get them free/loose?

???
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So what kind of special tool did you use? How did you get them free/loose?

???
Its called a torx key set like allen keys different end most of the bolts on the top of the bumper has a torx key head you can pick a set up from supercheap.
      06-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ok, Thanks.

When you said "Ball-Joints", I was thinking of just using a pickle-fork to pop the suspension apart. I thought maybe you had to use some sort of press tool.

I have plenty of Torx tools AND E-sockets. You need them for working on any modern BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #9
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ok, Thanks.

When you said "Ball-Joints", I was thinking of just using a pickle-fork to pop the suspension apart. I thought maybe you had to use some sort of press tool.

I have plenty of Torx tools AND E-sockets. You need them for working on any modern BMW.
You don't need to pry the ball joint apart when you loosen the nut it frees itself from the tapered housing and the spline spins round that's where the torx key comes in stops it spinning so the nut can come off pretty simple.
      06-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Install doesn't require plastic wheel arches to be removed. Only under tray.