BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #111
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluelb View Post
As stated, moving from an internally waste-gated system to an externally one can impact A/F ratios. That said, if you are going to install an aftermarket BOV, do it right...

OMFG, that is so hilarious... I'm in tears!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #112
gaijinMR
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Hey I read most of the blogs in here and what I wanted to know is... Ok let me begin by my first car was a non turbo 98 Nissan Silvia, but after I broke it I got an 2006 Evo MR. After getting t-boned and my Evo MR getting totaled I moved onto my new 135i. Ok now the part about what I wanted to know is I completely understand what a blow off valve is and how it works but I know japanese cars blow offs are a open circulatory system and German cars blow offs are not even called blow offs, i think they are called like converter valves or something like that (I have no clue) because german cars have a closed circulatory system. NOW, I want to get a BV for my 135i but I have no clue what I am looking for and how it will affect my car. Anyone here know a bit more about what I am talking about because I know for german cars its not called a blow off valve. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #113
absoluzer0
Rep
Drives:

if you run a blow off valve slightly stiffer than normal/usual/ whatever you wanna call it, its a decent balance and will not be that bad...
I used to have a blow off valve on my WRX, I only experienced problems when the spring was not tense enough. Once i adjusted the spring tension to be a little stiffer, idle problems, and shifting problems were unnoticeable. the point im trying to get across is that a stiffer spring blow off valve will release JUST enuff excess pressure to prevent compressor surge, and retain just enuff air in the pipes to satisfy the MAF sensor reading for the extra fuel injected... make sense? the whole point of a DV is to return the air into the intake and allow it to enter the engine so that extra fuel the engine injected for the MAF calculated air is satisfied.
Some minor issues related to running too rich could be accelerated deposit build up on valves and ports. you will also leave more deposits on your spark plugs shortening the life of your spark plugs, thus hindering the performance and spark that the plugs can generate... but hey, we love the blow off valves dont we?? usually though, an aftermarket tuned car accepts blow off valves much easier than factory tunes.
O yea, also, the point of a DV is to keep the turbo spooled between shifts since the DV reverts air back into the intake duct straight back into the compressor side of the turbo. the air reverted back will keep the turbo spooled longer than if the pressure was just release into the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:49 AM   #114
absoluzer0
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinMR View Post
Hey I read most of the blogs in here and what I wanted to know is... Ok let me begin by my first car was a non turbo 98 Nissan Silvia, but after I broke it I got an 2006 Evo MR. After getting t-boned and my Evo MR getting totaled I moved onto my new 135i. Ok now the part about what I wanted to know is I completely understand what a blow off valve is and how it works but I know japanese cars blow offs are a open circulatory system and German cars blow offs are not even called blow offs, i think they are called like converter valves or something like that (I have no clue) because german cars have a closed circulatory system. NOW, I want to get a BV for my 135i but I have no clue what I am looking for and how it will affect my car. Anyone here know a bit more about what I am talking about because I know for german cars its not called a blow off valve. Thanks
You're probably tlaking about diverter valve... like you said its a closed system... whatever pressure that is relieved by the diverter valve will eventually return to the intake duct like i mentioned above... even in japanese cars, you will be hard pressed to find a factory vehicle with an actual blow off valve... evo's, sti's, wrx's all have diverter valves... they do not vent to atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #115
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijinMR View Post
Hey I read most of the blogs in here and what I wanted to know is...

Ok let me begin by my first car was a non turbo 98 Nissan Silvia, but after I broke it I got an 2006 Evo MR. After getting t-boned and my Evo MR getting totaled I moved onto my new 135i.

Ok now the part about what I wanted to know is I completely understand what a blow off valve is and how it works but I know japanese cars blow offs are a open circulatory system and German cars blow offs are not even called blow offs, i think they are called like converter valves or something like that (I have no clue) because german cars have a closed circulatory system.

NOW, I want to get a BV for my 135i but I have no clue what I am looking for and how it will affect my car.

Anyone here know a bit more about what I am talking about because I know for german cars its not called a blow off valve. Thanks

:iono:

It's called a diverter valve... and please, tell us again... why you need one?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #116
sciamop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi Convertible

+1 on stock recirc vs aftermarket BOV. Unmetered air is a no-no in stock EFI/emissions system...

The HKS SSQ BOV sounds great but it kinda ruins the stealthiness of the 135i. On the plus side, it would confuse the uninformed ricer types...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #117
Diversion
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Since the ECU expects to see the blown-off air recirculated metered, one SOLID option for those wanting some "BOV sound/effect", I do know that HKS makes a 100% recirculation kit for the Super Sequential BOV. I've personally heard the recirculation kit with the HKS SSQ BOV and while it was definately quieter than full VTA (vent-to-atmosphere) it was still VERY significant sounding. Actually sounded pretty professional/non-obtrusive.

I would go this route if you love a BOV sound but don't want to take any risks of running rich or throwing your AF way off.

Otherwise, if you want a full 100% VTA BOV, your specific ECU would need to be tuned to cancel the rich factor after a lift-throttle state. I'm not aware that there's a ECU/piggyback/etc for the 135i/335i that allows for these precise tuning options. I had a TurboXS UTEC on my 02 WRX that allowed to tune for a VTA BOV.

Jay

P.S. (Can't wait to buy my 135i)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #118
brendend
Rep
Drives:

dose anyone have a video of the hks ssq bov?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #119
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #120
DC135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Definitely ricer...at least that's what I think of when I hear a BOV. Don't most people get these installed because they want to show-off that they have a turbo? Is this an ego thang? Or is there a real performance enhancing benefit to a BOV? Educate me...please!
      09-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #121
agent_grey
Rep
Drives:

Anoying boneheads.

If you don't like a BOV then piss of. I love the sound of a BOV and I really could careless if anyone else heard it.

All this monkey dog bickering has left me clueless.

Does the curent bypass system relieve the pressure to before or after the Air meter. This is all that really matters as to whether or not a BOV is acceptible or not.

Is the air metered before the bypass valve? And if so then does the Bypass valve relief it to before or after the Air flow meter?

This is all that maters. if the air is metered and the cpu expects the metered air to be used then a BOV is out of the question for non ricers.

Please a simple yes or no from someone in know would help. If you don't know then don't reply to this topic.

I guess when I go and testdrive one of these monsters I will pop the hood take a look and have my question answered.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #122
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

welcome to 1addicts? dick?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #123
agent_grey
Rep
Drives:

Ok so reading through this pointless drivel it sounds like this car has a Bypass valve. So forget my question cause a BOV is pointless unless going to extreme mods.

Too bad cause call me rice but there's nothing more soothing to my ears than swoooosh.

Dick.... No just real anoid when I research a topic and people that don't no what they are talking about post. Even at that I am not sure what setup this car has but it sounds like the people who have a clue seem to say that there is a bypass valve in place which makes a BOV a rice mod. Just like my WRX... as bad as I want a BOV I can't do it and still call myself an Engineer.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #124
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 modified 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruck View Post
I will have a blowoff valve installed on my 135i. Just curious as to if anyone else will do the same?

Here a video with sound of a 335i with a blowoff valve.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO...

-Chris
active autowerkz bov has a nice sound to it =)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #125
dad
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Guys, the N54 does not have a MAF. It does not meter the air. It controls fueling using the speed density method - look it up - with the MAP sensor and adjusts constantly with the wideband O2 sensor. A VTA blow off valve will not hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #126
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_grey View Post
anoid

i get what you're saying but try and be....an adult about it. if you don't like the information being spread around on this particular thread then merely depress your left click button while hovering the mouse icon over the "back" button.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #127
skddmorse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I wasn't going to reply to this thread because of a lot of crazy stuff that has been put in it but what the hell.

By using the ultimate racing kit I installed an HKS on my car in about 30min. It works great and have had no issues whatsoever.

09-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #128
dad
Banned
Rep
Drives:

It has no issues b/c the N54 does not meter the air it breathes with a MAF. It works on speed density with the MAP and corrects with the wideband. Running VTA - vent to atmosphere - is totally fine for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #129
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Looking through this thread makes me scared to post on it.

Personally, BOV's sound good to me...I've ridden in friend's cars with BOV's or heard them in passing by cars, but I've never owned a car with a BOV so I don't know if it would get old/annoying after a while. That being said, I'm quiet happy with this car the way it is and don't see myself investing in a BOV especially after reading this thread and the uncertainty a BOV could possibly or un-possibly (that's not a word, hence the hyphen) present.

Please don't flame me for my ignorance! -->
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #130
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frimmelnojerz View Post
Sorry to get off topic, but this is frickin' ha-lariouis!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #131
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent_grey View Post
Anoying boneheads.

If you don't like a BOV then piss of. I love the sound of a BOV and I really could careless if anyone else heard it.

All this monkey dog bickering has left me clueless.

Does the curent bypass system relieve the pressure to before or after the Air meter. This is all that really matters as to whether or not a BOV is acceptible or not.

Is the air metered before the bypass valve? And if so then does the Bypass valve relief it to before or after the Air flow meter?

This is all that maters. if the air is metered and the cpu expects the metered air to be used then a BOV is out of the question for non ricers.

Please a simple yes or no from someone in know would help. If you don't know then don't reply to this topic.

I guess when I go and testdrive one of these monsters I will pop the hood take a look and have my question answered.
BOV's are for boy racers, the 1 series doesn't fall into that category.
      01-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #132
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
BOV's are for boy racers, the 1 series doesn't fall into that category.
Personaly, I don't care for a BOV either, but you must admit if the owner of the 135i is a "Boy Racer" then we will have cars with BOVs on them. And, all polite opinons and viewpoints are welcome here at 1Addicts.