11-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

1 Series M - How would you build 1?

Hello,
I'm new to 1Addicts and thought I'd post a thread here that I recently posted on Bimmerforums.
(http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1551968)

Hello everyone.

I am considering moving my Z4 M Coupe for a 1 M Coupe if they come stateside. I'll assume others in this section are watching and waiting for news on the car. I'll hope that someone from BMW reads this thread and has input as to what they bring us. Wishful thinking, I know but let's tell them (realistically) what we would order if we were getting one.

My ideal 1 M Coupe would have:

1) Standard, non adjustable/electronic suspension
2) Cloth seats - No need for power adjustment or sensual back massagers
3) Cruise control (don't bundle it with some premium package)
4) 370 hp + & 350 lb ft (you know you can do it and it will get you on every auto magazine cover as well as sell more!)
5) Aggressive tires (don't go giving us tires like the Conti's that came on my Z4 M Coupe) The Cayman S was the choice between these cars in magazines because you passed a warehouse full of those crap rubbers. Don't give the car any major weakness from the factory and you will create another icon.
6) It looks like LSD and great brakes are going to be standard...please don't water anything down for the US market
7) Manual trans (make a DCT if you like but I'll take mine with 3 pedals)

Anyway, those are the items I would be most concerned about. Build it simple and light and we will line up.
---
1 Series M Coupe LTW?

White only
Reduced sound deadening
Lightweight exhaust
18" Lightweight wheels
Adjustable front splitter
Functional/conservative rear wing (with GT3 like gurney flap please)
Cherry picked engine with slightly more boost
2995 lbs
BMW gets huge street cred again...
      11-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

N54 with ported head, 5 or 3-angle valve job with lightened valves/better valve springs. The new Garrett GTX3076R in twin-scroll configuration. At boost levels suitable for the 91-93octane pump gas, this combo should be good for around 450whp and 8,000rpm redline, with very little lag. To reduce lag even further, a "quick spool valve" could be used.

Everything else with the car I've been happy to hear, although it must have at least 285's out back and 265's in the front.

If they could take that combo and drop it to 3,100lbs, while keeping it around $55,000, I would be the happiest person in the world!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I agree with the tire size as that's what's on my Z4 MC and it works very well. If they give it that much power it's going to completely embarrass the M3 and BMW won't let that happen. I read the latest M3 stays with it on the track so it sounds as if they are quite equal with the 1 having 332 (or something near that). The aftermarket is probably going to have a field day with this M.
      11-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
1M/Mopar
Rep
Drives: none

If I was a //M manager and I have the responsibility of coming up with 1M which is going to be a limited production with affordable price tag, I would take parts from the shelves and work it together.

1- I would use N55 engine with twin twin-scroll turbocharger, good for 400-450hp.
2- M3 Brakes, suspensions and LSD
3- 6-speed manual
4- Carbon-fiber is not on the table since it's expensive, I would use Fiber-Glass hood, front fenders & trunck led
5- Leather adjustable Sport bucket seats
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

MC Blue/Black Speed Cloth, w/M-DCT, CA, PDC, & CF Roof...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

I used to want a manual (cant stand autos) but now Im a paraplegic...I hope DCT will be an option! Dammit...
Appreciate 0