E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Every lock should have CA

02-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Every lock should have CA

I've only had my car for a week and a half now, but the coolest feature BY FAR is the Comfort Access. Definitely a well spent $500 (or less if you figure my actual price).

The little key on my desk gets me thinking though - how great would it be if every lock had comfort access? My house, the storage shed out back, the locker at my gym, my office door, my desk, the set of file cabinets, the safe in my house, and on and on and on.

What if all we needed to open a lock for ANYTHING was a fob in our pockets?

Hmmm....

(I've definately had a long day here at work - time to get going)
      02-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

You are right. After a couple of months of having comfort access in my car it is starting to become a real pain anytime I have to use a real key to the house, office etc.

We are so, so spoilt...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien
You are right. After a couple of months of having comfort access in my car it is starting to become a real pain anytime I have to use a real key to the house, office etc.
Yea, god forbid that you should have to put your hand in your pocket and actually move a finger to push a button. I mean, we are spending money on cancer research and whatnot, but this key stuff has got to stop. The overwork of unlocking a door will most assuredly spell the downfall of modern civilization.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbenda
Yea, god forbid that you should have to put your hand in your pocket and actually move a finger to push a button. I mean, we are spending money on cancer research and whatnot, but this key stuff has got to stop. The overwork of unlocking a door will most assuredly spell the downfall of modern civilization.
And power windows and cruise control are for pussies, right? I mean, come on! How hard is this [flexes foot, as if pressing on the accelerator]?!?

Now I wouldn't go so far as to say unlocking my house is a pain since I'm used to CA, but there's no denying that it'd be easier if my keys didn't have to leave my pocket.

CA-type features will be near-standard in a few years, just like power windows and cruise control are now. And it will make sense. Even to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330
And power windows and cruise control are for pussies, right? I mean, come on! How hard is this [flexes foot, as if pressing on the accelerator]?!?
Well, your extrapolation here is not really the same thing. Granted, I can see the benefit in differently-keyed locks being controlled by a single fob. In that case, such would reduce clutter and potentially increase security. However, there are safety and economic benefits to power windows and cruise control. What is the safety or economic benefit to Comfort Access? Might your hand get eaten by the pocket goblin? Hehe ...

Seriously, though, I see the purpose in it and I agree that it will be far more commonplace in vehicles by the end of the decade. So, from a resale point of view, maybe there is an economic benefit, but you have to admit that "as it exists" it is purely a luxury upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
shinsverk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i 06

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2005 Grand Cherokee  [0.00]
I have to agree that comfort access is very handy. I added comfort access to my car, but I did not think it was a justifiable option. After owning my car for only two weeks, I have found it very useful loading my little boy. I carry him to the car and with my hands full I do not have to dig into my pockets for the remote. I think it will be money well spent over the time that you own the vehicle.
      02-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, from a resale point of view, maybe there is an economic benefit, but you have to admit that "as it exists" it is purely a luxury upgrade.
Of course it is simply a luxury upgrade. I'm simply saying that there's nothing wrong with that.

The steps of insterting a metal key into your car door (or pressing the unlock button on a fob), then inserting that same key into the dash and twisting are so routine that it just feels "normal" to do so, but it is difficult to argue against the elimination of those steps. Sure, it's only inserting and twisting a key, but why require those steps if they've been obsoleted?

It can be likened to the crank that needed to be turned in order to start the engine on early cars. There were probably folks that said, "You already have perfectly good transportation that takes you where you need to go. Does turning a little crank really bother you that much?" Note that I'm not comparing the physical effort required to do this with turning a key, just that it was a step that eliminated by new technology. The people that still had to crank theirs probably didn't see what all the fuss was about... until their crank disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
To each his own, I suppose. For me, personally, I could not justify spending $500 for the upgrade. I mean, I know that $500 isn't much when you are spending $40 large, but maybe that is just the George Costanza in me. I do, however, agree that since turning a key is not necessary to start a vehicle that this feature eventually become standard. But for the time being, I am glad there are people like yourself who will pay into getting it there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Why is there such a bad attitude on this site from non-CA owners towards those who have CA? This is at least the third thread I've seen where one guy says he loves his CA, and all he gets are responses from those without it (either because it wasn't available or they chose not to get it) telling him how it was a waste of money, its unnecessary, etc. I'm a firm believer in not knocking somebody's spouse, kids, house, or car. You don't see these kinds of threads if a guy got PDC or heated seats, but those are "luxuries," aren't they?? Maybe someone can enlighten me - is it because it wasn't available on pre-Sept cars? You never hear bad opinions of it from those that actually have it. Hmm... Now... if he's trying to decide on getting CA, let the opinions fly.

To get back on topic, CA is awesome, isn't it?
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e
Why is there such a bad attitude on this site from non-CA owners towards those who have CA? This is at least the third thread I've seen where one guy says he loves his CA, and all he gets are responses from those without it (either because it wasn't available or they chose not to get it) telling him how it was a waste of money, its unnecessary, etc.
Well, I certainly didn't intend for this to happen. Geez! There was a post about how it almost hurt someone with CA to imagine not having it. And I thought it was kind of silly to read this since having to push a button to unlock a door or slide a fob in a slot is such a huge task. I am not trying to say that CA sucks or is not worth the money. The original point that I was trying to make was that it was silly to read what he was saying. It would be like someone who pays another person to wipe their ass and then complains when they have to do it themself. But, hey, if you can get someone to agree to wipe your ass for a price, who am I to argue. I would love for someone to do this. I chose not to add CA and I don't regret it for one moment. It is not a matter of jealousy at all. I can totally see its place, and if I had it I am sure that I would love it, but it is just silly to read about people who go on and on about how it is just the greatest thing since sliced bread and that having to turn a key or push a button is just a total burden.

Me, personally, I don't have PDC but I do have the heated seats. For me, I got them because I wanted them, just as CA owners got such because they wanted it. So, I am not slamming anyone for getting it, because who would I be to say that. But the heated seats for me were an easier choice because of the therapeutic response I get from them with regard to my back.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To each his own, I suppose. For me, personally, I could not justify spending $500 for the upgrade.
I'm ammortizing it against all the times I unlock or start my car

Seriously, though, people place different values on different things and there's not a thing wrong with that. One man's convenience is another man's waste of money. It's all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #12
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Another post that makes me wish I had Comfort Access.
Attached Images

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:50 AM   #13
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e
Why is there such a bad attitude on this site from non-CA owners towards those who have CA? This is at least the third thread I've seen where one guy says he loves his CA, and all he gets are responses from those without it (either because it wasn't available or they chose not to get it) telling him how it was a waste of money, its unnecessary, etc. I'm a firm believer in not knocking somebody's spouse, kids, house, or car. You don't see these kinds of threads if a guy got PDC or heated seats, but those are "luxuries," aren't they?? Maybe someone can enlighten me - is it because it wasn't available on pre-Sept cars? You never hear bad opinions of it from those that actually have it. Hmm... Now... if he's trying to decide on getting CA, let the opinions fly.

To get back on topic, CA is awesome, isn't it?
People try to justify all sorts of things.

Point: You cannot knock something you haven't tried. Comfort Access is an awesome, transparent time saving convenience, cool and a bargain at $500, considering that it would cost about $3000 to add it on after the fact.

Counter-point: Most of us have cars that require you to stick a key in a slot and turn. No one ever lost any sleep over this.

Counter Counter-point: Yes, but how many times have you fumbled through your filled pockets looking for your keys while balancing bags of groceries or other objects with one arm? And wouldn't it be nice to get into your car and start or stop it by the simple push of a button? The only valid argument would be the cost of this nice feature--$500. Yet many would be willing to spend much more on wheels, blacklines, sunshades, springs, etc.
      02-28-2006, 01:57 AM   #14
Ethirtynine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Honda S2000

Personally, I got annoyed because it didn't work as well as I had hoped.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:15 AM   #15
bpbenda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
I have had a similar issue with the regular non-CA fob. It works great when within about 25 feet of the vehicle, but not so hot beyond that. Anyone know the effective range of the 35MHz fob? Is it possible to extend the range somehow without totally destroying the fob?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #16
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

I hope people realize I my original post was tongue-in-cheek. CA is just a cool little gadget, plain and simple.
      02-28-2006, 08:09 AM   #17
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

Actually, I would like CA on my toilet. That way I wouldn't have to bend over and lift the lid, it would lift up automatically. And more importantly, it could close the lid by itself when I am done to address the issue with my bettter half.
Of course I wouldn't necessarily be walking around the house with my key all the time, so I should have the transmitter chip installed in my wedding ring (which is why I need the lid-closing feature anyway). No ring, no lid-close.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #18
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirtynine
How so?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #19
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
what is this "comfort access" you people speak of for the millionth time?

and for the millionth time, 90% are pro CA and the rest think those 90% are lazy. end of debate.

back to eleven24's point, as much as i think it would be cool to have CA everywhere, unless it were some kind of biometrics and/or voice verification, i would not trust it. i think it's just a matter of time something like that comes as a replacement for traditional locks...
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #20
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
... as much as i think it would be cool to have CA everywhere, unless it were some kind of biometrics and/or voice verification, i would not trust it. i think it's just a matter of time something like that comes as a replacement for traditional locks...
Now you're talking. I envision a watch that you can talk into and your car comes screeching around the corner to pick you up. Maybe even give the car bullet proof glass and super persuit mode.

Er, wait... I think I saw that somewhere before

02-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
I wonder if the people that say CA is a waste have steptronic.
If so, it seems quite hipocritical say anything about the subject.

Back to topic, kind of. I think it would be great to have a universal fob.
How many peoples local grocery store has the pay with your fingerprint option. I think it's cool.

One step closer to Gattaca
      02-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #22
GoBonesGo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
I wonder if the people that say CA is a waste have steptronic.
If so, it seems quite hipocritical say anything about the subject.
Hrmm? I totally dig CA, but I'm not seeing your analogy.
Appreciate 0