BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
bbocaner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 i3, '18 530e, '10 530iXT

2009 135i - navigation maps updates

So I've been to two local dealerships asking about navigation updates, and both have told me it'd be too expensive and I shouldn't do it. They would not define "too expensive" for me, and I am very motivated to update because my car still has the same navigation data that was loaded into it at delivery in early 2009.

I've done a little reading on the forums, and I understand there's a procedure that involves DVDs and an authorization code to update. There's apparently an even newer procedure that involves a USB key that only works on post 9/09 build cars, but mine is an earlier 2009 which has the hard-disk based CIC but apparently won't work with the USB procedure. I've searched the web and see dealerships selling the 2013 USB update, and I've found a source talked about on many forums in lithuania (!) from which I can buy the code, but I can't find anyone selling the 2013 DVDs. Anyone know if 1. do I have my facts straight here; and 2. where can I buy the 2013 north america dvds to update CIC?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbocaner View Post
I've done a little reading on the forums, and I understand there's a procedure that involves DVDs and an authorization code to update. There's apparently an even newer procedure that involves a USB key that only works on post 9/09 build cars, but mine is an earlier 2009 which has the hard-disk based CIC but apparently won't work with the USB procedure. I've searched the web and see dealerships selling the 2013 USB update, and I've found a source talked about on many forums in lithuania (!) from which I can buy the code, but I can't find anyone selling the 2013 DVDs. Anyone know if 1. do I have my facts straight here; and 2. where can I buy the 2013 north america dvds to update CIC?

Thanks!
1. Contact the guy... he does sell codes on the cheap.
2. Obtain map files (either through internet and burn to usb keys or get it preloaded on USB)
- getbmwparts.com has the usb sticks for pretty cheap.
3. plug in the usb keys and in some submenu (find on other forums about map updates) it instructs you to enter the code.
4. enter your code
5. load the maps

This takes forever, but if you're in the car to quickly swap usb sticks so the car avoids powering down, it should't take more than 30-40 mins.

I did the above with the 2012 maps and have ordered the 2013 ones from Getbmwparts. It's pretty painless when you put the parts together and your map updates will run you an order of magnitude less than at the dealer ($40 instead of $400).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Was just told the dealer updated my nav as maintenance warranty.