United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_b View Post
Has anyone installed these in their 1m?

BMW High Performance Light Bulbs 63212239799

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx
Those are halogen bulbs. The 1M has HID bulbs like every other car that has xenon headlights. Each HID bulb costs at least twice that of a halogen bulb and is a whole lot brighter. Are you having problems with yours? If it appears as though you can't see very far ahead at night, then I suggest having them raised a little as most xenon lenses are aimed too low when they come out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Maybe I am wrong but that photo is confusing for me, looks like standard (in most markets) halogen 1er headlights rather than the Xenons. 1M comes with Xenons regardless of market so
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
No I am not having problems with mine but I was hoping they would be brighter and whiter than the stock ones. I am afraid of heating issues with aftermarket bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Those are halogen bulbs. The 1M has HID bulbs like every other car that has xenon headlights. Each HID bulb costs at least twice that of a halogen bulb and is a whole lot brighter. Are you having problems with yours? If it appears as though you can't see very far ahead at night, then I suggest having them raised a little as most xenon lenses are aimed too low when they come out of the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No I am not having problems with mine but I was hoping they would be brighter and whiter than the stock ones. I am afraid of heating issues with aftermarket bulbs.
If you need brighter HID bulbs then you want OSRAM XENARC SILVERSTAR; they are the brightest HID bulb on sale at the moment. Do not confuse brightness with whiteness; generally the whiter the light i.e. the higher the colour temperature, the less visible light you see. You don't want to go higher than 4300 kelvin if you value visibility over looks.

However, why do you need brighter HID bulbs, the standard oem Osram ones are plenty bright, they just need to be aimed slightly higher without blinding oncoming traffic. Also, you won't get issues with overheating as long as you stick to Philips or Osram bulbs of the right specification, which is Gas discharge/HID D1S. Car manufacturers use either of these brands, BMW uses Osram.

Last edited by mlhj83; 11-17-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I'm sure it's just a little knob or something to adjust but do you guys have a link to some info o. How to adjust the low beams height?
      11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
I'm sure it's just a little knob or something to adjust but do you guys have a link to some info o. How to adjust the low beams height?
There are adjusters: one for vertical and another for horizontal. Do a search, there's plenty on it. Or just head to the dealer and ask nicely.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Maybe I am wrong but that photo is confusing for me, looks like standard (in most markets) halogen 1er headlights rather than the Xenons. 1M comes with Xenons regardless of market so
No, you are definitely not wrong, those are halogens. BMW doesn't sell HID/Gas discharge bulb upgrades, and neither does any other car manufacturer. Besides, $75 is way too cheap for a pair of Gas discharge/HID bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the E82 1ers featuring the eyebrow light bar (stripe) are limited to the 1M and the ActiveE. As we know, all 1Ms have Xenon headlights. However, the picture below on the left features halogen headlights (+ US amber blinkers): US version of an ActiveE ? (although all pictures I've seen so far of the ActiveE feature Xenons).

Name:  Halogen_Headlight.jpg
Views: 4677
Size:  14.3 KBName:  Bmw_ActiveE.jpg
Views: 5177
Size:  23.2 KB

Halogen vs. High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D. aka Xenon)

Name:  Halogen_Xenon.jpg
Views: 6175
Size:  24.5 KBName:  Halogen_Xenon1.jpg
Views: 4969
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  Halogen_Xenon2.jpg
Views: 6212
Size:  8.1 KBName:  Halogen_Xenon3.jpg
Views: 6175
Size:  9.2 KB
      11-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the E82 1ers featuring the eyebrow light bar (stripe) are limited to the 1M and the ActiveE. As we know, all 1Ms have Xenon headlights. However, the picture below on the left features halogen headlights (+ US amber blinkers): US version of an ActiveE ? (although all pictures I've seen so far of the ActiveE feature Xenons).

Attachment 783575Attachment 783572

Halogen vs. High Intensity Discharge (H.I.D. aka Xenon)

Attachment 783574Attachment 783576
Attachment 783570Attachment 783571
The LCI version of the 1er Coupe has halogen lights as standard with the "eyebrow" LED.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Yes, all US spec 1M's come with AHL (adaptive head lights) with Xenon.

BUT... for the rest of the world... ECE(German spec models) for instance... halogens were standard. H7 lights with the brow LED. Then you could order Xenon's or Xenon's with AHL.

The way you can tell an AHL unit is the inner light is opaque and comes on
when the headlight switch is in AUTO mode and you turn the steering wheel. They act as cornering lamps in conjunction with the xenon lights that turn with the steering wheel angle.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone installed these in their 1m?

BMW High Performance Light Bulbs 63212239799

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx
Those are H7 bulbs as you probably know by now. I think Osram makes them for BMW. Osram sells the same thing under the name: Night Breaker. They put out 50% more light then regular H7 halogen bulbs.

Your car has Xenon bulbs. You can change the color temp... but the light output won't really change. There was a thread just a day or two ago where someone install xenon bulbs from his buddies MB that were 6K vs 4K(bmw oe) temps.

I would just make sure your headlights are aimed correctly. I use the old school method of aiming headlights... park next to garage wall(1foot away)... use some black electrical tape to mark the center hot spots of the headlights with an "+" then... back the car up two car lengths and make sure your headlights are still in the "cross hairs".

You can use a 6mm allen wrench to adjust the headlights. I think it even shows you in the owner manual how to do it.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, all US spec 1M's come with AHL (adaptive head lights) with Xenon.
BUT... for the rest of the world... ECE(German spec models) for instance... halogens were standard. H7 lights with the brow LED. Then you could order Xenon's or Xenon's with AHL.
The way you can tell an AHL unit is the inner light is opaque and comes on
when the headlight switch is in AUTO mode and you turn the steering wheel. They act as cornering lamps in conjunction with the xenon lights that turn with the steering wheel angle.
In Belgium and Luxembourg the 1M came stock with Xenon headlights. Adaptive Headlights (AHL) ("Adaptive Light Control") were indeed optional (€420 option). Got all available bells 'n whistles, so AHL too.

2012 Manual: "Adaptive Light Control is a variable headlamp control system that enables better illumination of the road surface. Depending on the steering angle and other parameters, the light from the headlamp follows the course of the road. In tight curves such as on switchbacks or when turning, at speeds up to approx. 40 mph/70 km/h, an additional, cornering light is switched on that lights up the area inside the curve."

I don't know whether cornering lights also feature on headlights without the optional AHL feature. It's the lamp inside the second corona (inner side). I thought it was merely a feature to emphasize to oncoming traffic that you intend to turn, in addition to the blinker. However it seems that its main purpose consists of adding light to the dark side of your choice...

Just beware when you install LUX Angel Eyes that the ballast stays out of the turning range of the AHL, otherwise you might end up with a dreadful AHL failure (several casualties reported on this forum).
      11-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
In Belgium and Luxembourg the 1M came stock with Xenon headlights. Adaptive Headlights (AHL) ("Adaptive Light Control") were indeed optional (€420 option). Got all available bells 'n whistles, so AHL too.

2012 Manual: "Adaptive Light Control is a variable headlamp control system that enables better illumination of the road surface. Depending on the steering angle and other parameters, the light from the headlamp follows the course of the road. In tight curves such as on switchbacks or when turning, at speeds up to approx. 40 mph/70 km/h, an additional, cornering light is switched on that lights up the area inside the curve."

I don't know whether cornering lights also feature on headlights without the optional AHL feature. It's the lamp inside the second corona (inner side). I thought it was merely a feature to emphasize to oncoming traffic that you intend to turn, in addition to the blinker. However it seems that its main purpose consists of adding light to the dark side of your choice...

Just beware when you install LUX Angel Eyes that the ballast stays out of the turning range of the AHL, otherwise you might end up with a dreadful AHL failure (several casualties reported on this forum).
You are right on this one Artemis, all 1Ms in all markets came with standard Xenons, including Germany, I should know since I made all my configurations through German web site's configurator. So Dackel's memory cheats on him here, sorry Dack, stuff happens

The only options depending on market were adaptive lights, headlight assist (option 5AC) and headlight washer system (I was forced to opt and pay for that last one due to market obligations, and I tried hard not to have them). Was the same story for diplomatic purchases which usually follows the German market 98-99% and the rest a few small details like carpets or cruise control they make you pay since you already got a big discount on the car.

If you guys go to the sticky thread that Artemis himself started on 1M manuals and price lists, you will notice from the German price list that I myself suggested to be included, Xenons (without optional adaptive lights but with headlight washer system) were standard equipment in Germany as well.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-17-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You are right on this one Artemis, all 1Ms in all markets came with standard Xenons, including Germany, I should know since I made all my configurations through German web site's configurator. So Dackel's memory cheats on him here, sorry Dack, stuff happens
I think you guys are wrong on this one.

I know on Andreas ( Evolution80 ) 1M he has only got Xenon with out AHL lights. I asked him about it bc it stood out to me. His car is an Austrian spec ECE car. I think the non AHL units look cleaner to me. But I like the functionality of AHL from the driving perspective.

Andrea's said both Xenon and Xenon with AHL were options. That was also my recollection when looking at the German website to configure a German spec build. It also makes sense to me bc BMW did the same thing with the 135i for the German market. They offered three versions of headlights; Halogen, Xenon and Xenon with AHL.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
[...] all 1Ms in all markets came with standard Xenons, including Germany [...]
The only options depending on market were adaptive lights, headlight assist (option 5AC) and headlight washer system (I was forced to opt and pay for that last one due to market obligations, and I tried hard not to have them).
German pricelists of 2011 and 2012 mention Xenons + jetwashers as standard on the 1M's sold in Germany, and adaptive headlights as optional (same applies to Belgium and Luxembourg) (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651059):
"SERIENAUSSTATUNGEN (= stock/standard)

Licht und Sicht
  • Heckleuchten mit Leuchtkörper in LED-Technik
  • Xenon-Licht für Abblend- und Fernlicht
    mit Akzentleuchte vorn und 3D-Leuchtkörper in LED-Technik hinten
    inkl. Scheinwerfer-Waschanlage, automatische Leuchtweitenregulierung, vier Standlichtringen und Tagfahrlicht
  • Scheibenwischer mit einstellbarem Intervallschalter
    in 4 Stufen einstellbar mit zusätzlicher Tippfunktion"
"SONDERAUSSTATUNGEN (= optional)

Licht und Sicht
  • Adaptives Kurvenlicht (Adaptive Headlights - option 524)
    inkl. Abbiegelicht
    Nur in Verbindung mit Xenon-Licht und Regensensor
  • Fernlichtassistent (High Beam Assist - option 5AC)
    Nur in Verbindung mit Innenspiegel automatisch abblendend bzw. Innen- und Außenspiegel, automatisch abblendend
    und Regensensor
  • Lichtpaket (Lights Package - option 563)
    inkl. Innenleuchten hinten mittig mit Leseleuchte, Leseleuchten vorn, Make-Up-Spiegelbeleuchtung für
    Fahrer und Beifahrer, Ambientelicht, Fußraumleuchten vorn und Vorfeldbeleuchtung in den Türgriffen
  • Regensensor mit automatischer Fahrlichtsteuerung (Rain and light sensor - option 521)
As far as I know it was simply impossible to opt out of headlight jet washers ("Scheinwerfer-Waschanlage") for the 1M. I have not seen one single picture yet of a stock 1M without Xenons and jet washers. I guess that jet washers are mandatory with Xenons for safety reasons: Xenons automatically position themselves to avoid becoming a 'blinding' nuisance for oncoming traffic; however, a very dirty headlight cover might eventually 'divert' rays of light in a 'blinding' way, and car manufacturers are not allowed to assume that every car is regularly washed.

Note:
The High Beam Assist (HBA) messes up the OBC presentation: due to the place reserved for the HBA icon, mileage and odometer are no longer permanently shown on the second line when checking speed, range, average fuel consumption or average speed, regardless whether you activated HBA or not; quite annoying... (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10).

Name:  HB_Mileage.jpg
Views: 4992
Size:  7.1 KBName:  HB_Speed.jpg
Views: 4834
Size:  6.8 KBName:  HB_Range.jpg
Views: 4960
Size:  6.7 KB

Name:  HB_Fuel.jpg
Views: 5369
Size:  7.0 KBName:  HB_AvSpeed.jpg
Views: 4923
Size:  6.8 KBName:  HB_ServiceInfo.jpg
Views: 4946
Size:  7.1 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 11-17-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Andreas said both Xenon and Xenon with AHL were options.
As also Oz has pointed out: Xenons are standard equipment and AHL are optional.

Maybe Andreas' dealer had a bit too much of this stuff:

Name:  PyratRum.jpg
Views: 5075
Size:  27.7 KB
      11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Ok, so maybe I am thinking of the early 1M protypes that were running around with halogens.

So... all euro (ECE) 1M's came standard with Xenons. BUT... AHL 's were optional. That is why Andrea's Austrian spec 1M came with standard Xenons and not AHL units.

Quote:
German pricelists of 2011 and 2012 mention Xenons + jetwashers as standard on the 1M's sold in Germany, and adaptive headlights as optional (same applies to Belgium and Luxembourg) (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651059):

....As far as I know it was simply impossible to opt out of headlight jet washers ("Scheinwerfer-Waschanlage") for the 1M. I have not seen one single picture yet of a stock 1M without Xenons and jet washers. I guess that jet washers are mandatory with Xenons for safety reasons: Xenons automatically position themselves to avoid becoming a 'blinding' nuisance for oncoming traffic; however, a very dirty headlight cover might eventually 'divert' rays of light in a 'blinding' way, and car manufacturers are not allowed to assume that every car is regularly washed.

Note:
The High Beam Assist (HBA) messes up the OBC presentation: due to the place reserved for the HBA icon, mileage and odometer are no longer permanently shown on the second line when checking speed, range, average fuel consumption or average speed, regardless whether you activated HBA or not; quite annoying... (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10).

Stratus650 's green/grey 1M from Dubia did not have headlight washers. He told me his dealer knew of the special delete code so he was able to order/delete the ugly headlight washers. I had just assumed his guys deleted it on his car when he had his car wrapped. But he told me the story of how he had the car built with the "delete" option box checked!

He also said his is the only 1M he has ever seen with them deleted from the factory. You can only delete them when the car is delivered to a non EU country and you do not take ED on said car.

Name:  DSC_0130.jpg
Views: 4886
Size:  288.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Artemis, yes the jetwashers were/are mandatory but only in EU because it is a EU norm that manufacturers has to abide. Dubai 1M Dack posted has the chance of not having them (I like it that way, he did good, especially in Dubai heat and dry) because it is a different market. Another example is when I bought my E90 330i back in 2005/6 I opted not to have jetwashers but just Xenons with adaptive headlights and it came that way. I was allowed to do that because at the time I was in Brazil and that was also a market not forcing certain equipment like jetwashers, you could buy it or not. This time I was not allowed the same trick for my 1M because I was in Turkey when I put the order, Turkey follows whatever EU norm when it comes to imported cars (from EU) because it is a candidate country which already is in customs union with EU. That worked against my little wish and my SA asked for it from Germany, answer was a NO, despite the fact that I would be receiving my car in South America.

Jetwashers are stupid, in any form.

And Dack, you should be really remembering the prototypes since almost all of them were with halogens and people were asking each other in Forums if 1M would be that cheap
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
He also said his is the only 1M he has ever seen with them deleted from the factory. You can only delete them when the car is delivered to a non EU country and you do not take ED on said car.
Checked it. Pursuant to EU law, jet washers are mandatory with Xenons. If Stratus650 resells his car in the EU, jet washers will need to be retrofitted.

UK (retrofitting Xenons): "Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam."
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...-headlamps.pdf