BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2024, 01:58 PM   #1
rlastinger
Registered
Rep
Drives: Kia Carnival, bmw x3

Thoughts on how to buy without a nearby dealership

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller. I am considering trading up for a new X3, but we have recently moved to location where the nearest dealer is 1.5 to 2 hours away.

Is anyone else in this situation? How are you handling maintenance, recalls, etc?

I really don't want have to go to another brand. I didn't enjoy the other brands as much.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:20 PM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

1. Talk with the chief service advisor; usually they can make special arrangements for out of town owners. Often times a recall can be done in less than an hour and while you wait.
2. While best, required BMW maintenance can be done by almost any licensed garage. Simple oil and filter changes can be done by yourself, just keep all receipts. Depending upon mileage and type of normal trips [mostly short distance is bad] you should do 2 oil changes per year, 1 Spring and 1 Fall.
3. Find that highly recommended indy garage in your area. Talk with them. Also if you ever get the chance, talk to other BMW owners.
4. Is there a BMWCCA chapter in your area? If so, join. Just checked BMWCCA-your club is NCC. I have done a BMW factory "M" driving school with them [day and ½ drive for me, 1 way] ; great people and experience. Looking thru their web site, I see they often have DIY [do it yourself] experiences. Great way to learn how to do an oil change [or anything else].

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 04-14-2024 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0