E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 2.5 guys...need suggestions/help!

04-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Kurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Coupe

Dinan Stage 2.5 guys...need suggestions/help!

I have a 2008 335i E92 with a Dinan stage II tune. My local dealer had to wipe the Dinan due to a HPFP failure and BMW firmware update that was required. I am sending it in 2 weeks from now to get the Dinan intercooler and CAI installed. They are going to re-apply the Dinan stage II, I assume to 2.5 comes from the fact that they say "yes" to the intercooler question. In order to see increased power is it required that I have a catback installed?

I ordered an AE exhaust but it wont be installed in time for the trip, I was wondering if I should go through the trouble and wait for the exhaust to be installed before I procede. Is there an option for a catback in the Dinan update? If so, will it work with any catback other than Dinan's?
      04-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4; 2022 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
I have a 2008 335i E92 with a Dinan stage II tune. My local dealer had to wipe the Dinan due to a HPFP failure and BMW firmware update that was required. I am sending it in 2 weeks from now to get the Dinan intercooler and CAI installed. They are going to re-apply the Dinan stage II, I assume to 2.5 comes from the fact that they say "yes" to the intercooler question. In order to see increased power is it required that I have a catback installed?

I ordered an AE exhaust but it wont be installed in time for the trip, I was wondering if I should go through the trouble and wait for the exhaust to be installed before I procede. Is there an option for a catback in the Dinan update? If so, will it work with any catback other than Dinan's?
Is Dinan calling your update a Stage 2.5? New to me, if so (I also have S2), but I suppose if you have the intercooler but don't have the additional oil cooler - mandatory for Stage 3 - then it makes sense.

TMK the Dinan flash will adapt to the changes in your exhaust in a very short period of time (as in right away); any exhaust that provides a benefit to your car's performance will work with it.

Dinan has an 800 phone number (check Dinancars.com) - why not just call them and inquire directly?

Good luck,
Rick
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I ran that set-up (stage 2 + FMIC) for quite some time before getting the upgraded oil cooler and stage 3. I had the free flow exhaust (i.e. better mufflers) but I don't think that would make a huge difference. I also didn't notice a big difference (maybe a tenth in the 1/4 mile) going from stage 2.5 to 3. But I sure did going from Stage 2 to 2.5.

You're right. When installing Stage 2 with the FMIC it asks if it's there. Of course, removing or replacing the CATS would give you even better performance but you may have problems with your Dinan/BMW warranty if things go to sh*t. As far as I know, there is no check box for CAT backs that Dinan doesn't sell (though they did talk about a racing exhaust at one point).

Right now I'm running S3, FMIC, FF exhaust and the new CAI. Expensive but lots of mofo mojo, smooth and on-tap.

But I can say that FMIC with Stage 2 made a big difference. You'll like it.
      04-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Kurfer
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys, i'm looking forward to it.
      04-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Kurfer
Private
Rep

Well, after 8 hours waiting at the dealer 3 hours away (only Dinan authorized one in area) I have nothing. (would have been great for the dealer to call me while I wondered around the mall waiting for my stuff)

They said because my current system version they had to send my chip to Dinan for re-flash. I asked why no intercooler or CAI they said it's because I have m-tech bumper. The biggest issue is that my bumper is not an m-tech, it's a stock E92 with the aero lip installed. After about 40 mins of argument that was reduced to multiple f-bombs after 20 minutes I decided to give up, get a refund and go home empty handed.

I called Dinan and complained, they gave me another dealer about 3.5 hours away but at this point I already took time off work and for $3k I am not sure it's worth it. My car is currently bone stock so I may just forget I ever bought the Dinan S2, cut my losses on the $2200 invested and purchase the JB3 DCI combo.

I really hope it's a noticeable difference but from what I have read via the search on the boards, Dinan SII and JB3 2.0 map 5 are close to equal performance.

I may just say fuck it and work on trading this thing in for an M6

I'm really bummed out with this car now, think i'm gonna just ride my R6 around for a while to help forget about BMW and it's shitty dealer network.