BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #133
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
(I know I'll have to get the Tweeter Grilles separately - does anyone know a good place to get them?)

- Harlequin
You can get the speaker grills from Schmiedmann as well, you just have to search by part number. I can dig up the part numbers if you need them, or just look on RealOEM.

Anyway, I got the kit and the speaker grills from them a couple of weeks ago. Best price I could find.

Be aware that there are two kits out there. One for pre-3/09 builds, which requires splicing, and one for post-3/09 builds which includes a plug-and-play harness but also requires dealer coding after install for some reason. Schmiedmann stocks and lists the old kit on their site, but you can buy the newer one if you search by part number. That's what I did - they had to order it from Germany, along with the tweeter covers.

Anyway, I've got an appointment to install at the dealer on Monday. They quoted me 260 Euro for the job. I'm debating just doing the install myself and then taking it to them for the coding, but I'm a bit hesitant to start ripping apart the interior trim of my car - I'm pretty sure I'll end up breaking one or more trim clips along the way and possibly creating rattles...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #134
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
You can get the speaker grills from Schmiedmann as well, you just have to search by part number. I can dig up the part numbers if you need them, or just look on RealOEM.

Anyway, I got the kit and the speaker grills from them a couple of weeks ago. Best price I could find.

Be aware that there are two kits out there. One for pre-3/09 builds, which requires splicing, and one for post-3/09 builds which includes a plug-and-play harness but also requires dealer coding after install for some reason. Schmiedmann stocks and lists the old kit on their site, but you can buy the newer one if you search by part number. That's what I did - they had to order it from Germany, along with the tweeter covers.

Anyway, I've got an appointment to install at the dealer on Monday. They quoted me 260 Euro for the job. I'm debating just doing the install myself and then taking it to them for the coding, but I'm a bit hesitant to start ripping apart the interior trim of my car - I'm pretty sure I'll end up breaking one or more trim clips along the way and possibly creating rattles...
I'd be very appreciative if you could give me the part number for the newer of the two kits?

Thanks.

- Harlequin

Last edited by Harlequin; 03-17-2011 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #135
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's the RealOEM link for reference: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=65&fg=95

Part number for the post-3/09 kit: 65412163268

And for the 2 tweeter grills: 51337199597, 51337199598

If you want me to email you the instructions for the new kit, I can do that too. Just PM me your email address. I would just post it here, but whoever made the scan made it a really big file for some reason and it's over the limit size-wise.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #136
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the RealOEM link for reference: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=65&fg=95

Part number for the post-3/09 kit: 65412163268

And for the 2 tweeter grills: 51337199597, 51337199598

If you want me to email you the instructions for the new kit, I can do that too. Just PM me your email address. I would just post it here, but whoever made the scan made it a really big file for some reason and it's over the limit size-wise.
Thanks. PM sent.
      03-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #137
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Dropped in at the Dealer this morning. Asked a few questions about why there's such disparity between my quote and what everyone else seems to be paying...

After they put my VIN into the system it reduced the number of parts in the kit. Seems they were including the two under-seat Subwoofers (which I already have) in the cost.

I'm now told they can do the parts for a little over $900.

Now I'm tossing up the benefit of getting it through the dealer or from Schmeidmann... Price difference of about $400 but I'm guessing that I'll get a better deal on the labour if I order through the dealer so it may be less than that in the end...

(I'm assuming that I'm going to have to get it installed by the dealer either way because the new kit requires some re-coding after installation.)

Thoughts?

- Harlequin
      03-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #138
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Following this thread with huge interest. I'm dropping off my car for service next week and BMW Melbourne and will inquire about the same upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #139
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Just throwing something out there. Depending on how much the dealer will charge to install, why not take your car to a car stereo installer an have them fit it?

If BMW charge $900 for the parts, and charge $1385 installed. Thats $485 just for install. I am pretty sure even a good stereo installer wouldn't charge that much!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #140
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Just throwing something out there. Depending on how much the dealer will charge to install, why not take your car to a car stereo installer an have them fit it?

If BMW charge $900 for the parts, and charge $1385 installed. Thats $485 just for install. I am pretty sure even a good stereo installer wouldn't charge that much!

What about Coding? Apparently the new Kit (after 03/09) is easier to install as it's plug and play but the Stereo needs to be re-coded after install.

- Harlequin
      03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #141
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Is there an amp change at all in this kit or is it just speakers? I can't remember...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #142
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
It adds a 4 channel Amp under the boot floor and replaces the door speakers with Splits. The Amp then runs both the splits and the Under-Seat Subs...

- Harlequin
      03-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #143
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Is there an amp change at all in this kit or is it just speakers? I can't remember...
Adds one 4-channel amp, replaces two midrange door speakers, adds two tweeters. Amp runs all four front speakers + two underseat subs. HU continues to drive rear speakers (two midrange).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #144
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Now I'm tossing up the benefit of getting it through the dealer or from Schmeidmann... Price difference of about $400 but I'm guessing that I'll get a better deal on the labour if I order through the dealer so it may be less than that in the end...
I'm not familiar with the value of the AUD or conversion rates or anything, but a difference of $400 sounds pretty significant. Will your dealer really give you that much of a discount on labor if you source the parts through them? Maybe ask them for a two seperate quotes (labor vs. parts + labor)?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #145
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Adds one 4-channel amp, replaces two midrange door speakers, adds two tweeters. Amp runs all four front speakers two underseat subs. HU continues to drive rear speakers (two midrange).
That's what I said
      03-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #146
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's what I said
Oops - replied before I saw your post, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #147
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

I think if you get equivalent aftermarket gears including installation you are looking at $1000 at least. The stock underseat woofers are crap. If you want half decent bass you would want to replace them. Unfortunately the only shop in Brisbane (the one on the southside) who are experienced with bimmers will screw you with their prices. If you want everything to look stock and just want better clarity then go with the alpine upgrade and pay $1300, still better value than various optional extras charged by BMW such as $1700 for sparkling paint, $4000 for Nav!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #148
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

Depending on what you want out of the sound system, even just adding tweeters to the stock system will make it sound better, and that will not cost much at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #149
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
Depending on what you want out of the sound system, even just adding tweeters to the stock system will make it sound better, and that will not cost much at all.
IF you add tweeters (at the A-pillar) don't you also have to run a different amp?

The extra tweeters will surely increase the speaker load (lower resisitance ohms - probably four ohms to only two ohms?) and hence make the factory amp run hotter and harder. ?

How did you wire up your extra tweeters? DIY?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #150
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Ordered the Alpine Kit (PN: 65-41-2-163-268) from schmiedmann.com. $500USD including shipping.

Already got the A-Pillar Tweeter Grilles from BMW...

Now I just have to wait for it to turn up...

- Harlequin
      03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #151
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Very nice! This kit is an OEM part that is just the upgraded version of the stock system?

I have a really good audio place near my house that I may go to in a couple months and get a quote on an upgraded system. I have started to notice that the stock system clarity even when playing the radio or my iPod is not good at all!

Keep us posted!
      03-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #152
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
What about Coding? Apparently the new Kit (after 03/09) is easier to install as it's plug and play but the Stereo needs to be re-coded after install.

- Harlequin
I think apparently is the key word there. I can assure you that a recode isn't required. I installed mine a while back and it sounded fine without any dealer intervention. I've since had the car back to the dealer a few times including an unrelated issue which involved completely updating the software in the car direct from Germany. There was no difference in the sound afterwards.

Glad to hear you ordered the kit from Europe and at a really good price too. Seeing as you have already mentioned that you have extensive experience in car audio installs I presume you'll be going the diy route? I did post details of the simple instructions I used in an earlier post but here it is again if you missed it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27554788/B...ation-Feb-2010
      03-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #153
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
I installed mine a while back and it sounded fine without any dealer intervention. I've since had the car back to the dealer a few times including an unrelated issue which involved completely updating the software in the car direct from Germany. There was no difference in the sound afterwards.
Even though they completely updated your car's software, they likely wouldn't have performed the specific coding that this kit requires unless you specifically told them to do so. Did you? Otherwise, they would have just been reinstalling the stock software, and then you have no real basis for comparison. I find it hard to believe that BMW would include a need for recoding in the service document if there were in fact no need to do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #154
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Even though they completely updated your car's software, they likely wouldn't have performed the specific coding that this kit requires unless you specifically told them to do so. Did you? Otherwise, they would have just been reinstalling the stock software, and then you have no real basis for comparison. I find it hard to believe that BMW would include a need for recoding in the service document if there were in fact no need to do so.
Hi, fair comment which I forgot to mention. No, I didn't ask for any specific coding as the car was in for a completely unrelated matter. I kind of agree that it's hard to believe they would mention in the instructions that it needs a recode if it doesn't. But the pre 03/2009 version doesn't require it and I'm not aware of any real difference between the stereos (well here in Oz at least) or computer /electrical system (CAN bus or whatever it is) pre or post that time. I think the only difference is the connections are much more plug and play than the earlier cut up job. All I know is that what I've mentioned about not requiring the recode has been previously discussed in other threads and / or forums and found to be true. After I installed mine the difference was night and day in sound. I guess the real answer will only be known when someone who has done the diy install takes it in an requests the recode to be done and listens for any noticeable change afterwards. Or someone compares their diy install versus a dealer install for a difference in sound? I say just flick the amp switch to "2" and forget about a recode haha!