Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Possible SES Light Causes...

On the way to work this morning, I needed to beat some traffic when merging. I grabbed fourth from sixth and took it to around 5,500 rpms then shifted into fifth while clearing the slower traffic. As I clutched it, I felt a 'clunk' or hesitation. Once into fifth, there was no additional hesitation, but the SES light had come on and the general nature of the engine was much more rough than usual.

Most of the threads I have read on here with owners experiencing the rough idle and SES light, they said the car had entered 'limp mode'. I assumed this was the case and was able to pull off the road 1/4 mile further at my exit. I called up a friend who lived five miles down the road toward my final destination and he said come on over. He had all the tools I could dream of to fix anything automotive and then some. It took my about seven minutes to get there via farm to market roads and residential streets. However, by the time I did arrive, the SES light was off and the car was running smoother, much like normal.

The car has 58,000 miles on it and I have noticed over the past 15,000 miles or so that it would exhibit hesitation when at half to full WOT in the middle gears. This sensation was as if the boost never came on, then all of sudden hit. It was never smooth. The typical scenario would play out with me in 2nd gear ~4,500 rpms, then shifting into third and going WOT. The boost would be there in 2nd up to shifting, then when clutch was out and the transmission was in 3rd, the car would fall on its face with a little stuttering feeling like it was trying to claw its way back. By staying in it and letting the rpms climb, which I'm not sure how smoothly they did as I was always looking at other parts of the gauge cluster, eventually the boost came back. I would estimate around 4,500 rpms or so. This made passing prior to an onramp very interesting to say the least.

The only modifications I have done to this point have been Mad Dad mids, Akra w/wireless rear section, and Ohlin coilovers. I have no code reader nor know of anyone close by to drop by for a friendly scan. However, I might try to get into my dealership since my 60,000 mile checkup is right around the corner. I would like to be as prepared as possible in case they try to push off this issue as something they can't repeat. Therefore, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what could be causing this issue.

I haven't thoroughly checked my charge pipe, but I don't have a tune and drive the car like grandma usually. To be specific, I got almost 30,000 miles out of the OEM rears. My thought is the diverter valve failing. That would explain the hesitation where the diverter can't hold partial boost pressures, but then closes off after a little bit of time to be 'pushed' into place. I know that the diverter valve can be highly problematic on MkV GTi's since I have dealt with one before. However, I have no boost gauge to view boost pressure during the before mentioned scenario.

Anyone else have any ideas what might be causing this issue? If I can avoid going to the dealership because it's an easy DIY, that would be preferred. However, without better diagnostic tools, that may be unavoidable at this point.

I appreciate everyone's feedback in advance!!
2011 1M - VO Florida pick up 11/4/11 #554 of 740 - Sold
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Clogged intake valves given the miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Clogged intake valves given the miles?
My 1st thought as well. Given your mileage, you'd probably gain a lot by cleaning out your intake tracts.
      02-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I agree that the mileage is up there and an intake blast is due. I have been meaning to schedule but thought the 60,000 mile check should be done first. I have a PM into our local guy that offers great service for stuff like this outside the dealership. His local group buy that expired at the start of Feb. was $200 for intake cleaning. However, from what I have read, the intake issue would cause rough cold starts which I definitely don't experience. Come to think out it, I'm used to rough idles from previous V8's, so I might be numb to it.

Thanks for the thoughts!!
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
After a quick intake cleaning service, things seem cured to this point. A few mid rpm punches show no hesitation. I will be taking a drive tomorrow that has a few segments that have always been capable of causing this issue for me. Thanks for the insight!
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowceta View Post
After a quick intake cleaning service, things seem cured to this point. A few mid rpm punches show no hesitation. I will be taking a drive tomorrow that has a few segments that have always been capable of causing this issue for me. Thanks for the insight!
Great news! Please keep posted ...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

First step is to check for thrown ECL codes. Anything else is just pure guess work...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Yellowceta
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Fresh back from the drive and everything is back to normal. The hesitation is completely gone and replaced by.... still a lacking amount of boost However, I don't believe modifying something that isn't working smoothly.

So, to those that are getting up there in mileage, which I know isn't many of you, don't forget that intake cleaning around 30k - 40k miles.

Thanks again to ayao and flzrider for the suggestions. That definitely helped me get things fixed a lot quicker.
2017 ATS-V Stock
Appreciate 0