02-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #45
cakeater
Cakeater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Figured I'd put this out there for people looking.

I got my OCC 3050 miles ago. I pulled it off after 1600 miles and it only had a residue. However, I wasn't fully tuned yet.

Just pulled it off again after another 1450 miles. Fully tuned now and frequently hitting 18psi and tapering to 15psi.

Here are the pics of what I discovered today.
So this just made me bring an OCC further up on my mod list.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #46
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
What do you do with the oil in the can? Pour it back into the engine?? Thinking about getting one of these.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #47
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Walnut shell intake valve cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
What do you do with the oil in the can? Pour it back into the engine?? Thinking about getting one of these.
You should dispose of it properly.

If you don't install a catch can, this can potentially happen:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #48
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
You should dispose of it properly.

If you don't install a catch can, this can potentially happen:
Probably happens regardless, no?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #49
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Probably happens regardless, no?
Yeah, it happens either way. BMS and the other companies that manufacture these OCCs like to tell you that it'll prevent it from happening, but there's zero evidence to back that up, but plenty of evidence to say that it's a load of bull. That said, the cans do catch a decent amount of oil, so perhaps they slow the onset of the problem? I dunno, but I have one and wouldn't install a new intercooler without first fitting an OCC, else it's just gonna get full of oil.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #50
Jrsred10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #51
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Anybody? Sorry to keep on, but. Really wanna get my OCC installed, so any tips on getting those clips off the stock hose would be great. Spent ages trying to no avail last time.

Will post this on e90 too but I saw a few references here.

done on my 335 today and thought I'd share my experiences.

Wire clips for the air and alarm sensor being a PITA? Slide the plastic along the plastic tab lengthways and either the metal clip will come with you or get left behind leaving just the plastic part of the clip on the wire. Then the metal claw can be slid off with some cloth to protect your fingers to be pushed back and reunited into the clip on the wires. Air sensor itself rotates in housing to remove. Alarm has a little thumb press on the wire plug which releases a catch.

For hoses. At engine inlet found small toothpick top and bottom did the trick. At crank end same again but I rotated tube slightly so one side stayed free while I worked on the other. BMW had applied some black sealant around both ends that I needed to rub off first as the tube wouldn't budge.

Don't even think about trying to free the little concertina hose from the pcv without heat of a hair dryer.

Instructions for 335 were to cut hose to 16" / 17". Did 16.5". Pleased I didn't go shorter as length would mean bottom of occ would prevent proper location forward of some pipe work under the can further back if it was shorter.

Didn't need to cut engine cover but I was especially careful to tuck the engine inlet side deep behind the cowl to make room for the u bend piece which only got squeezed a mm or less.

Cowl went back no issue but until it was fully inserted into rubber near windscreen the gap for the brace wasn't in the right spot to clear the occ bracket so I can see where people would think the cowl wouldn't fit.

I got lucky. When I dropped my occ bracket it got wedged within reach. That was the most difficult bit in my view but eventually pinching bracket to can hard with one hand I managed to locate a screw without cross threading. Glad I'm low mileage. I do not want to do that again for a while to empty the can.

Bye for now.

Chris

Last edited by crypticc; 05-25-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0