BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Four injectors need replacing, what to do

Dealership wants $1100 to replace 4 injectors. Car is only 5 months out of warranty and has 45k miles on it. The other 2 injectors were replaced a year ago under warranty.

Doesn't seem right to me. Can I get it fixed cheaper? Shouldn't these crappy injectors be recalled?
      10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

There IS an injector recall for early cars like yours. I would try a different dealer and have them check for any open recalls. As long as it is a recall there is no time or mileage limits. IF its open, your covered.

SI B13 14 10 Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign...
SI B13 14 10 Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign 10E-A02 N54 Inspection and Replacement of Injec.pdf

The injectors are also covered under the federal emissions warranty which is EIGHT years or 80K miles. You might need to run your car thru an emissions test and take the failed certificate with you in order to get BMW to fix it for free!
http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Also... IF you look under the hood of your car for the vehicles build sticker... IF your car is a SULEV or ULEV your federal emssions warranty is LONGER than that 8/80 I listed above.

IF you are not covered for some reason... I would write a register letter to BMW NA. Explain how you feel and your dealer's ransom for repairing your car.

Btw... even IF you had to pay for new injectors... they are only like $150 each now plus install and then you will need to have them coded to work properly. You can find them fairly cheap from Tischer or United (both sponsors here).

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Thanks so much Dackelone!

The dealership said there wasn't a recall but that there was a program in the past where they tested the old injectors and replaced them if they needed to be. I had that done about a year ago apparently (I don't remember doing it). They tested the injectors and 2 of them were found to be bad and were replaced. Now a year later, the other 4 went. They claim there is no full recall, just this test-and-replace program and my other injectors had somehow "passed".
      10-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Just talked to the dealer again. No luck.

First the EPA warranty is 8 years/80k for just the major emissions components such as the catalytic converter and ECU. Everything else, including the injectors is only covered for 2 years/24k miles. So no luck on that.

He says the recall you listed above was performed a year ago. The injectors were scanned and 2 were found to be bad and replaced. The other 4 were found to be ok and were not. Now they are busted.

So I'm stuck. I told him that I wasn't happy and asked for a goodwill warranty extension and said I would complain to BMW of America. He said he'd see what he could do and would call me back.
      10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
Just talked to the dealer again. No luck.

First the EPA warranty is 8 years/80k for just the major emissions components such as the catalytic converter and ECU. Everything else, including the injectors is only covered for 2 years/24k miles. So no luck on that.

He says the recall you listed above was performed a year ago. The injectors were scanned and 2 were found to be bad and replaced. The other 4 were found to be ok and were not. Now they are busted.

So I'm stuck. I told him that I wasn't happy and asked for a goodwill warranty extension and said I would complain to BMW of America. He said he'd see what he could do and would call me back.

Call BMW NA and ask them how long the emissions warranty is for your 2008 mode year car. Before you call... look under your hood to see what the EPA compliance decal says. regular, SULEV or ULEV specs. Then if BMW NA still does not help you out... I would write BMW NA a nice letter. Send it registered mail and tell them how disappointed you are with your dealer and BMW NA. When you send it registered mail - it gets BMW's attention!

You can always buy new injectors from a vendor here on the forum. I am pretty sure they are not that expensive. And you could even install them yourself. Its not that hard. The hardest part is getting them coded. That should only run one or two hour's labor charge at any BMW dealer.

On Tischer's website it shows each injector is only $107 each!

bmw #13537585261 (now maybe there is a newer part number for the injector? ) Send Jason@Tischer an email. Or contact Dan@United.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...=1&searchtext=

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Unfortunately, my car is at the dealer right now so I can't look under the hood for the EPA decal.

I would replace them myself but my car isn't really drivable. Short distances are probably ok but it won't really go on the highway. One injector is so busted they say it's just spraying gas out. The smell of gasoline outside my car is intense! So it's probably not worth me waiting to get the injectors shipped to me and renting a car in the meantime now that I think about it. I'm trying to find a way I can get the dealer to pay for the replacement. In the meantime at least I have the loaner car.

If I end up having to pay, you can bet I'm going to write them a letter. I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit like there was for the HPFP given how common this problem seems to be and how BMW seems to be aware of it. Maybe I'll tell them I'm joining the impending lawsuit.
      10-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

If I end up having to pay, you can bet I'm going to write them a letter. I'm surprised there isn't a class action lawsuit like there was for the HPFP given how common this problem seems to be and how BMW seems to be aware of it. Maybe I'll tell them I'm joining the impending lawsuit.
Do not do that. At least don't tell them THAT. BMW NA will write you off (as a lost customer) and wait for your lawyer to talk to their few hundred lawyers. lol

you best bet is to ask to talk to the Regional Service Manager from BMW NA. And you should be dealing with the service manager and not your SA.

You can always tell them you are a BMW Car Club of America, member and ask for 20% off the repair.

PS: if your car smells like fuel... I would also get an oil change done. For sure lots of gas has been washing down the cylinder walls and diluting the oil. CHANGE your oil!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Ok, I won't do that. I'll let them know how angry I am without threatening them. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding a request for a goodwill extension on the warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

My brother had his AC go on his 128 about one month out of warranty. He complained to BMW NA and got it replaced for free (estimated $2400 repair).
      11-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Just got a call back from the dealer. They said they will pay for the parts if I pay for the labor. The parts are more than 50% of the quoted $1100 cost, they say, so it sounds like it's not a bad deal for me.
      11-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Just got a call back from the dealer. They said they will pay for the parts if I pay for the labor. The parts are more than 50% of the quoted $1100 cost, they say, so it sounds like it's not a bad deal for me.

Sounds good to me. Paying half is better than paying ALL!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Total cost ended up being $420 for the labor. That's much better than $1100.

I wish this story was over though...

This morning on the way to work my engine lost all power and the coolant light came on. I pulled over, opened the hood and found the engine soaked with coolant. The cap was on tight so it must have been coming somewhere else.

I called AAA and had it towed to the dealership. It was 25 miles so they better reimburse me if it was their fault, which I'm figuring it probably is.
      11-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I still haven't heard anything yet but I'm guess it is the water pump. First the injectors, then the water pump, all within 2 days of each other! I'm pretty angry. Not sure I'll ever buy a POS BMW again.
      11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Yup, it was the water pump. I'm out of warranty by 5 months (even though only 45k miles), so BMW offered to cover the parts cost if I cover the labor. Same as they did for the 4 injectors that failed THE DAY BEFORE. Gonna run about $550.

If I hadn't complained, though, I'd be paying $2200+ right now for injectors + pump.
      11-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

It doesn't seem right though. The BMW SA claimed the pumps just fail because they are electric. But I had coolant all over the inside of my engine. That seems suspect. Am I correct in thinking that maybe there was a loose or busted pipe or something and they just want to charge me for a new pump?