BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
This is why I stay away from aftermarket stuff and stick with OEM as much as possible. Proper R&D, manufacturing, and plenty of testing. Yes, you pay for it, but I'd rather pay than deal with mediocre product...especially when I'm putting it on a $40K+ car. Of course there are quality aftermarket parts like Vorsteiner. It's not just cosmetics either. I see all the fitment/quality issues people have had with riss racing stuff as well.

Anyways, not really helping this thread any, but I've been through this kind of stuff in the past and it really bugs me when companies rush parts out to consumers to make an early buck. I had a hard enough time getting the BMW Perf. CF spoiler seated perfectly and the fitment was perfect. I'd snap that spoiler in half (in anger) if I had to deal with it not being shaped correctly.
Though I mostly agree with you, I think there are limits. If a 3rd party is putting out the SAME product (aka SAME quality) for less than BMW I am all for it. If a 3rd party is pushing out a worse-quality product for less than BMW (to an extent - i don't want junk, but if it's fiberglass coated in CF versus full-CF I'm for it!), I am DEFINITELY for it. If a 3rd party is pushing out crap, and still charging triple digits.. then no way!!

I've bought good quality 3rd party products before, I just don't want everything third party to turn to junk once everyone starts "trusting" it versus OEM stuff.

Good quality vs. mediocre is one thing if it makes an appreciable difference in looks or performance. It isn't to me if it looks the same and has the same performance gains (which is why I tend to buy 3rd party for performance products if they do the same thing(s) as OEM, but never if they're just a cheap "knockoff" of OEM parts)

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
GAHHH i HAVE the EXACT SAMEE problem!!!!

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #25
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
This is why I stay away from aftermarket stuff and stick with OEM as much as possible. Proper R&D, manufacturing, and plenty of testing. Yes, you pay for it, but I'd rather pay than deal with mediocre product...especially when I'm putting it on a $40K+ car. Of course there are quality aftermarket parts like Vorsteiner. It's not just cosmetics either. I see all the fitment/quality issues people have had with riss racing stuff as well.

Anyways, not really helping this thread any, but I've been through this kind of stuff in the past and it really bugs me when companies rush parts out to consumers to make an early buck. I had a hard enough time getting the BMW Perf. CF spoiler seated perfectly and the fitment was perfect. I'd snap that spoiler in half (in anger) if I had to deal with it not being shaped correctly.
I know what you are saying. You do get what you pay for. Why are our German cars so much? Because they are worth it. I don't remember exactly what I paid for this spoiler, I'm not at home so I can't look up the receipt right now.

When I buy something from a vendor like this, I expect the weave to maybe be inferior or something along those lines. But when something is advertised to fit on my E82, I expect it to fit, no matter what the cost.

Just as one example, I got my grilles from a popular vendor on here, not BMW. They fit perfect but cost half of what BMW charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekL View Post
GAHHH i HAVE the EXACT SAMEE problem!!!!
Sorry to hear that. Where did you get yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Even the admittedly mediocre-quality ****** replica spoiler I have doesn't do that... I'd look into getting it replaced, no oem OR replica should be THAT difficult to get on..

The recent pictures you uploaded is actually what used to happen to mine though. Then I got 3M trim and decal adhesive and squirted a bit underneath the spoiler, between where the tape hits. The tape gets stronger over the course of a day or so, but if it feels a pressure pushing upward it'll never get it's grip all that strong. Put some actual glue in between, press it down with clamps, and it SHOULD hold..

But be warned; the glue is REALLY messy, and even after a few months I still HAVEN'T been able to get 2 spots where the glue leaked out just a little more than I would have liked because it's impossible to get out with regular cleaner, and by using really strong industrial glue-gone it could seep under the spoiler itself and inglue the outer edges of it (where the seeps are) and then I'd just have to redo the whole thing, which I just don't feel like..
So are you suggesting to leave my spoiler as it is shown in those pics I posted, squirt the adhesive you mentioned into the hole left by the gaping tape, then clamp the ends down again? Or is your recommendation to start over again and use that stuff for the ends?
      10-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #26
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Don't hesitate to out the manufacturer. If they make a poor-fitting product it should be know. The BMW spoiler is very close to a perfect fit. If you apply it with tape and hold down the tips with some weights overnight it's tight and solid.
      10-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #27
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Don't hesitate to out the manufacturer. If they make a poor-fitting product it should be know.
Well, I suppose waiting until page two is good enough. I got my spoiler from JleviSW. And once again, I don't want this turning into a bash-fest, but at the same time, I really wish someone had told me the truth before I spent my money. And it sounds like JleviSW is not the only vendor doing this, although I may have received a particularly bad example (or maybe not). Not quite enough evidence in just yet.
      10-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjet04 View Post
Well, I suppose waiting until page two is good enough. I got my spoiler from JleviSW. And once again, I don't want this turning into a bash-fest, but at the same time, I really wish someone had told me the truth before I spent my money. And it sounds like JleviSW is not the only vendor doing this, although I may have received a particularly bad example (or maybe not). Not quite enough evidence in just yet.
Or....all the CF spoilers purchased from 3rd parties are all the same spoiler at different price points.
      10-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #29
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
Or....all the CF spoilers purchased from 3rd parties are all the same spoiler at different price points.
Don't think that has not crossed my mind. If they all have the same exact flaws, one could very easily come to the assmumption that they all came from the same piece of crap mold (probably at a fairly economic price per unit too).
      10-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #30
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

I have the BMW Performance CF spoiler, laid down perfectly flat without ANY issues at all. I did not use betalink either, just good old 3M double sided tape. I'm sure its possible to get your corners to stay down, but you may need some claps and ALOT of time for it to cure.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #31
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLSM3 View Post
I have the BMW Performance CF spoiler, laid down perfectly flat without ANY issues at all. I did not use betalink either, just good old 3M double sided tape. I'm sure its possible to get your corners to stay down, but you may need some claps and ALOT of time for it to cure.
Well from the way I'm seeing things, it is apparently worth the extra money to not have the hassles that come along with a cheaper version. It's a shame because i really like the way my spoiler looks. The weave is nice and there are no visual defects of any kind.

But if I want to make the one I have work, all i need to do is rent a garage for a few days, rent a car for a few days, buy more 3M tape, buy some clamps....

It will be the best money I ever saved.
      10-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #32
Username135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
That is a good idea, but it didn't work in my case.

How long did you have the tape on?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #33
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
When I buy something from a vendor like this, I expect the weave to maybe be inferior or something along those lines. But when something is advertised to fit on my E82, I expect it to fit, no matter what the cost.
Oh I agree completely. But I've seen and experienced enough aftermarket parts with fitment issues that I've just become wary of them. I try to stick with the companies who have a good track record.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
1. I have the BMW Performance Spoiler and it fits PERFECTLY, not even a hint of weakness or "bowing".

2. I am pretty sure Jlevi does not 'produce' the CF spoiler but rather has bought some wholesale and is selling them that way (many vendors do this). If I were you I would have called Nick, Ali, or Jon immediately and traded the spoiler for another....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Well from the way I'm seeing things, it is apparently worth the extra money to not have the hassles that come along with a cheaper version. It's a shame because i really like the way my spoiler looks. The weave is nice and there are no visual defects of any kind.

But if I want to make the one I have work, all i need to do is rent a garage for a few days, rent a car for a few days, buy more 3M tape, buy some clamps....

It will be the best money I ever saved.
You could also take the money you "saved" and get a professional bodyshop to install it for you, and make sure the ends stay down.
      10-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #36
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post

2. I am pretty sure Jlevi does not 'produce' the CF spoiler but rather has bought some wholesale and is selling them that way (many vendors do this). If I were you I would have called Nick, Ali, or Jon immediately and traded the spoiler for another....
OP tried that and the vendor told him simply, that all the spoilers they sold were like this and that it wouldn't matter.
      10-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #37
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh I agree completely. But I've seen and experienced enough aftermarket parts with fitment issues that I've just become wary of them. I try to stick with the companies who have a good track record.
Completely understandable.

Quote:
1. I have the BMW Performance Spoiler and it fits PERFECTLY, not even a hint of weakness or "bowing".

I never thought for a minute that the were the direct manufacturer. Things don't work like that.

And in hindsight, I really do with I had called them as soon as I opened the box. That's what the little voice inside my head was telling me to do. And I would have, but I had already read somewhere about someone having a minor issue with the tips, so I figured the tape would take care of it.

And another thing that doesn't help, I went back through my records. I payed for my spoiler on July 27th. Total payment was $277.89. If I remember right, it was $249 plus shipping (no sales tax). Same thing at the same website is now only $149.00. Ouch!!!
      10-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #38
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP tried that and the vendor told him simply, that all the spoilers they sold were like this and that it wouldn't matter.
Well, no, I didn't call them immediately, but I don't think I said I did. But when I contacted them a few days ago, that is exactly what they said.
      10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #39
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could also take the money you "saved" and get a professional bodyshop to install it for you, and make sure the ends stay down.
Sorry, missed your comment here. I actually tried talking to the body shop my dealer uses, but they wanted a ton of cash and also wanted to keep my car overnight. I couldn't work being without the car that long. That's the only place I tried though, maybe another body shop might be easier to deal with.
      10-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #40
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
. And I would have, but I had already read somewhere about someone having a minor issue with the tips, so I figured the tape would take care of it.
I still would have traded it in...it is entirely in the realm of possibility that some tips may have more problems than others with the bowing effect..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #41
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still would have traded it in...it is entirely in the realm of possibility that some tips may have more problems than others with the bowing effect..
Well, I suggested the possibility of exchanging my current one for a new one they said it was possible, but that's when they also said they didn't think it would help since they are all like that. As much time as my spoiler has spent with the tips being pulled down by the various tapes, I think I have actually gotten some of the "bend" out of it. Like where the tips used to be over an inch above the car, now they are probably just under an inch. I've even tried warping it back to the position it should have been in from the start using various well-placed books as it layed on my living room floor.

I'm not sure I want to exchange one bad piece for another. Do I dare ask what else could possibly go wrong with the next one?
      10-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #42
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
I actually tried talking to the body shop my dealer uses, but they wanted a ton of cash and also wanted to keep my car overnight. I couldn't work being without the car that long. That's the only place I tried though, maybe another body shop might be easier to deal with.
It needs to sit in clamps 12+ hours to set properly, doesn't matter who does the work. I wouldn't trust a shop that doesn't need your car overnight.

Do you have any friends with garages or safe neighborhoods?

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #43
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

I bought my CF spoiler from a member here on the forums... it's been having the same issue. I'm not sure of brand but I'm going to try the clamp method tonight as well. Worst case I get something new directly from a vendor.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #44
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
It needs to sit in clamps 12+ hours to set properly, doesn't matter who does the work. I wouldn't trust a shop that doesn't need your car overnight.

Do you have any friends with garages or safe neighborhoods?
I agree, if anyone goes the BETA Link way, anything less than overnight would be asking for trouble. I might be able to stash my car in a friends garage overnight, but it would be difficult.

I think the only thing I have not tried that would be less of a pain in the ass than exchanging this one for a new one (that would most likely be just as warped or bent) would be to get out there early some morning that I don't have to be anywhere for the whole day, get it taped to the car again, and then use as many giant clips and painters tape as humanly possible to hold it in place for the entire day and night until I go to bed. That should be at least 12-14 hours of constant pressure.

Either that or I'll return it, get my money back, then order the same thing for 100 bucks less.