BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

tpms attempts to reset but no cigar

Just put some rims and tires on my car after i powdercoated the OEM's..

Was driving home on the autobahn and got a TPMS failure on dash.. So i pulled over and tried to "reset" and the "reset" function was grey and not selectable.
So i tried turning car off and then back on to try this and still no workie..

Anyways. i got home, let the car sit an hour and went back to try and reset the tires.. This time it let me select reset. However, the bottom of the display said "please wait while tpms is resetting......" for like 15 minutes..
I waited an abnormally long time and never got it to reset.

Gave up..
went to bed started car up with no TPMS fail and drove to work next day and got TPMS failure on dash again after about 5 minutes of driving..

whats the issue...?

Right now i have checked the tire pressure and its still at 39psi .. same as when i took the car home from the mechanic..

I read the manual... but nothin workin..

help appreciated.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

So after about 1 month of just putting up w/ the TPMS warning going off every time i get in my car i finally took it to BMW. He reset the TPMS and drove it for a minute and gave back to me. I drove away and no worky. Warning came back on after 5 mins of driving and i turned right back around to BMW. One of the experienced mechanics noticed i had a valve cap that was not the original cap.. I knew about this cap as well, but figured it wasnt a big deal, its just a cap right?
Anyways, i guess that cap is an antennae. it has some metal in it that sends the signal from the TPMS inside the tire to the computer sensors..
I have an OEM cap on order, but I may borrow a 1'er brother's cap from work and see if that fixes it first.
Will keep you updated...
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep

update: it turns out it was just the TPMS sensor in one of the wheels was bad. not sure what it was but possibly caused by spray paint partially covering the white tootsie pop stick looking thingy coming out the back of the tpms.. i assume thats the filter for the air pressure to go into the sensor.. its the only thing i can think of that caused it to fail.
anyways, works like a champ now.. yay
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Hey man, if you can see this I need to send you a PM but your inbox is full regarding the above topic.

Nick
      09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
bavarianx
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i

The cap is in no way related to the sensor operation, I'm amazed the dealer tech said that. The white foam insert on the sensor is how the pressure is sensed by the electronics inside, if its blocked (fix-a-flat, tire slime. paint, etc..) it will not register.
Appreciate 0