BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Crai135
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i m sport package

New kid

Hi guys I'm Jason. I have recently just purchased a 135 in mineral grey metallic. She is now about 2 months old and I have an itch to modify it. After seeing and hearing a black 135 with black wheels a week ago. I am certainly inspired. What sort of mods and parts can be put on these cars. What's the best bang for your buck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Welcome - another from brisvegas!

Magic 8-Ball says: "You have many mods in your future!"

Search for @MrBlonde and check his build thread - it has a good step-by-step measured approach to modding these cars with a summary of bang-for-your-buck.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

My 12 month old 6MT has the following mods for a comfy daily, not overly cooked.
Rear M3 Sub-frame bushings
Rear M3 top & lower links
E92 Front sway bar
Sprint Booster
Conti Sport3 tyres
BMW PPK ECU
BMW 313 wheels
Angel Lux LED
      02-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Another one for you to spot 135.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
Crai135
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i m sport package

Yeah I saw this awesome 135 I think the plates where dim89 or 90 or something like that. It sounded like an absolute machine. And a white one with the number plate vinney. It did not sound as tough as the black one though. Does anyone know what mods these guys have got?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

welcome and congrats. enjoy your drives and mods!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Welcome! Can never have too many Brisbanites here ;D

way too many mods to comprehensively list in this thread easily haha.. way too many different choices within each mod too...

start with ditching the RFT's if you don't want tons of wheelspin with a tune... as above, M3 rear subframe bushings.. M3 front sway bar, M3 front control arms... (and the full M3 rear inc LSD will bolt on with a new driveshaft)

Apex and VMR make wheels in great styles for a great price for direct 1er fitment in a few sizes.. very high quality, and all of $1k or so per set.

power wise:

pick a tune (Cobb/JB are the general 'best' right now)

pick an intake (BMS DCI are the cheapest, and sound good, but unsealed.. great for high power though, high flow.)

Pick some downpipes (VRSF are the cheapest that direct bolt on to RHD)

pick an intercooler if you plan on hammering it pretty hard highly tuned (again, VRSF are good and cheap).

aaand grab a BMS OCC, unless you like having your intake full of oil.

oh and at >16PSI, grab a charge pipe with BOV or DV of choice.

then go from there haha
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakezilla View Post
Another one for you to spot 135.
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crai135 View Post
Yeah I saw this awesome 135 I think the plates where dim89 or 90 or something like that. It sounded like an absolute machine. And a white one with the number plate vinney. It did not sound as tough as the black one though. Does anyone know what mods these guys have got?
Vinney (@BMW86) is not going to be too happy Last time I heard his car, it was LOUD! But in a good way

I don't know the black car but Vinney has LOTS of mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BSM e82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crai135
And a white one with the number plate vinney. It did not sound as tough as the black one though. Does anyone know what mods these guys have got?
Hahahaha Vinneys car isn't tough sounding? Looooool it is loud!!

But seriously it's pretty awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Sounds like brisvegas is THE place to be for 135s, car seem to be migrating there in their droves, must be the climate

Nothing seems to get spotted down here in the nations capital.... Well I did spot a "stock" 1M in Brisbane avenue (lol) last week.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Welcome!

What production year is your car? Some mods will depend on whether it is a N55 or N54. If it's Mineral Grey I'm guessing it's N55.

Good start would be:
JB4 (should also get a new chargepipe)
Downpipe
Non-runflat tyres

If it's a N55 you can't get a BOV/DV. There's also no dual cone intake - there is an intake (such as the one from BMS - burger motorsports) but it's more for the sound than the power.

PS both cars you saw are members here... Vinney's car is loud as fck imo :P

Have fun
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
Captain
Australia
Rep

It sounds like you want more than just cosmetic mods, of which there are many you can do.

First, understand what your end goal is for your car, e.g. do you want to have a track warrior or just go to the occasional drive day or be purely street-driven - this will largely determine the type of mods and path you take.

Second, research. And, when you're finish that, research some more.

You've already receive some good advice, so I'll just confirm and add to that.

The first area I would address is the tyres. The RFTs need to be replaced. This alone can take some time to determine the most appropriate tyre for your needs, e.g. track slick, R-comp, max performance street tyre or just an inexpensive non-RFT; size, with consideration for clearance. Note: the difference in cost between some of these types of tyres may only be negligible. If you also want to replace the wheels, then research and purchase wheels & tyres in parallel and consider diameter (18" are better for track work), width and offset.

The next most important part of the equation is the suspension, i.e. rear subframe bushes, front and rear arms, front swaybar, strut brace, coilovers and camber plates, as well as various other suspension components - there are other options as opposed to just using M3 components only. There are many different coilover options out there - some far more suitable or appropriate than others for specific tasks, e.g. with serious track credentials (although there are trade-offs). If installing coilovers then carefully consider opting for linear springs and suitable spring heights & rates for your application - these will be tightly coupled to the selection of wheels & tyres due to clearance considerations. While you have the rear subframe dropped, consider whether you will also need an LSD. As rightly pointed out, you could just do a whole M3 rear subframe swap.

After that, focus on brakes. The standard brakes are fine for daily driving but there are improvements that can be made. Alternatively, install a BBK, including stainless steel brake lines. Don't forget to flush your brake fluid and replace with a high-temp race variant.

Without going into specifics, other things to consider are types of fluids to use and cooling (oil [+OCC], radiator, intercooler, transmission [if you have an AT]).

NOW, after all that, your car will handle, brake and cool like it was meant to and is ready for the performance-enhancing and other aural mods
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
The Black one would be Pete (18DIM)...

Both those cars are monsters... Not everyone wants to post what their mods are so I will wait for them to chime in rather than post something they don't want me to...

There's a pretty decent 1Addicts Brisbane crew... You should come along to one of our meets if you want inspiration... Don't come if you are concerned about spending money on your car though...

Before my first meet my car was pretty much stock... After, "where did all my money go?"... And now I'm on to my second one...
      02-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #14
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Welcome Jason! I agree that all the 135i members lately have been Brisbane based.

Some great advice in this thread. I don't want to de-rail it too much but can I ask those Qld members who have performed the suspension.lsd etc mods mentioned above, have you had your car engineered to meet the NCOP standards? I'm just curious how much work it is to go through it, especially with DTC etc as standard...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Don't come if you are concerned about spending money on your car though...

Before my first meet my car was pretty much stock... After, "where did all my money go?"... And now I'm on to my second one...
that goes for pretty well any car meet though haha. Definitely compounds when you see other 1ers though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
Welcome Jason! I agree that all the 135i members lately have been Brisbane based.

Some great advice in this thread. I don't want to de-rail it too much but can I ask those Qld members who have performed the suspension.lsd etc mods mentioned above, have you had your car engineered to meet the NCOP standards? I'm just curious how much work it is to go through it, especially with DTC etc as standard...
they're simple modifications that don't need engineering for the most part

the M3 stuff is all OEM bolt on (and available in E82 via the 1M)

coilovers i think have always been a grey area?

LSD, they can't tell anyway at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #16
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Quote:

Both those cars are monsters... Not everyone wants to post what their mods are so I will wait for them to chime in rather than post something they don't want me to...

There's a pretty decent 1Addicts Brisbane crew... You should come along to one of our meets if you want inspiration... Don't come if you are concerned about spending money on your car though...

Ok, so I have seen the black one before.

Where and when are these meets happening? Is it a closed/private group on FB or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #17
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

trifecta
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Quote:

What meets?
The ones we aren't invited to??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #19
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
trifecta

It's the little things that matter
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #20
Cakezilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Are these like the meets at Portside that never happened?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #21
Kirst
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakezilla
Are these like the meets at Portside that never happened?
Not quite
They didn't happen because everyone didn't want to do anything so I gave up trying to organise anything
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:49 AM   #22
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

It's ok, we have our own meets! with blackjack, and hookers!
Appreciate 0