BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

I have a yellow stripe and white stitching with intention to restitch to the OEM M colors, will try to post picture(s) later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
sorry to go off topic but looking at all the pics here, it seems like a lot of you have Navi. How hard would it be for me to install the NAV unit if I don't even have the screen in the first place?
These are great times for Navi retrofit, because the latest NBT navi version (standard on F-series) with touch sensitive controller: it has everything (BT, USB, WiFi, ...) integrated so you do not need the fiber optic bus from front to back and no big box with electronics in the trunk. Just replace your headunit and of course you still would have to install a new dashboard with navi-screen (I have not seen successful cutting of non navi dashboard) and the wiring is mostly local. You also need a 3rd party NBT adaptor that translates E-series type of signals to F-series type of signal. On my list but will take some time before I get to it. Great NBT feature for the US track boys: you can view both pressure and temperature of all tires (EU models; would have to retrofit TPM sensors). For your consideration: there already many different great (E9x) threads on this topic!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
These are great times for Navi retrofit, because the latest NBT navi version (standard on F-series) with touch sensitive controller
What about 'upgrading' an existing equipped 1M navi to the NBT navi (F-series) ?
      08-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
Artemis
Rep

OK @eeghie what do you think of this upgrade from CIC to NBT ?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=748873

More:
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...y&path=157_158
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ory&path=78_91

Last edited by Artemis; 08-14-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #26
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
What about 'upgrading' an existing equipped 1M navi to the NBT navi (F-series) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
OK @eeghie what do you think of this upgrade from CIC to NBT ?
CIC 2 NBT upgrades, as per the excellent threads you reference, are very sought after. Now with the NBT the whole nav-entertainment system got un-cluttered (if you have no more need for MOST/Combox, you would loose ~4-5Kg). I'm not very knowledgeable on what extras you get with NBT, as I don't know too munch about CIC (with TPMS you'd get combined tire info and the I-drive knob is touch sensitive). The main advantages would be to have a relatively easy upgrade to the latest greatest, because of an existing display in the dashboard. The main disadvantage is that the dealer is no longer be able to help you, so if you're not into coding yourself, there's a bit of a risk when encountering issues.

that posted link is a correct NBT adapter. That supplier also offers some support on installation instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #27
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I have a non electronic with a blue stripe, I tend to have clammy hands and I was concerned in getting this but it has been great. When it gets dirty the fiber gets matted down but like everyone's said, a little water and a rag, 20 minutes later it's almost new.

Only thing there is the last time I cleaned it, I rubbed the rag over the blue stripe and the blue started to come off, anyone know of a paint color I could get from the dealer and repaint the blue stripe at 12?

I also have the auto technic carbon fiber center steering wheel trim and I prefer it to the plastic or alcantra and I've tried all three. Their products aren't the absolute highest quality, they often don't clear coat/uv protect, so wouldn't recommend them for exterior carbon parts but this piece looks great and really adds some sportiness to the 1m's spartan interior.
      08-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
btw as an update I DID install this last week! it is amaaaazing! LOVE it. Good to know it's easy to clean! I think alcantara horror stories are from people who don't maintain them
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:36 AM   #29
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Congrats !

When here in Germany I bought this one as i didn't want a middle stripe or a flat bottom. It came on the DTM edition M3. Cant wait to go back home and install it !
Attached Images

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #30
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The main disadvantage is that the dealer is no longer be able to help you, so if you're not into coding yourself, there's a bit of a risk when encountering issues.
Exactly my thoughts.