BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Slime

... as in the stuff to repair non run flat tyres.

Has anyone used this product
SLIME Safety Spair.

I noticed on here someone had recommended a different version of their product. I ended up calling the distributor and though this particular one is more expensive, it's an all in one, simple 1 step operation.
Simply hook it up to the tyre and press go. It inserts the slime, followed by inflating the tyre. They said the slime washes off with water so the tyre can be repaired if need be.

Autobarn currently have it in their catalogue on sale for $79, seems quite cheap compared with BMW or Conti equivalent.

This sounds more like an add rather than a question but my question is ...
anyone used this and can provide any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
when i switched to non-RFTs i did heaps of research and ended up getting a bottle of slime. don't need it anymore, on sale here

edit: sold

Last edited by chylld; 10-10-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
The reason over the BMW Mobility Kit is that Slime is water soluble, the BMW kit will ruin the tyre and you won't be able to get it repaired.
I didn't know that. So a nail will write off a $700 tyre? Talk about a design flaw...
      10-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
I didn't know that. So a nail will write off a $700 tyre? Talk about a design flaw...
Or extremely good complimentary products.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Unkie
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've got the same kit too. Bought it from Amazon for $38, or AUD$55 posted. Pretty good deal compared to local prices
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Got mine on special for around $40 at Auto 1 about a year ago. Might be worth getting a price from them too.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 COUPE

So doing the swap to non Run Flats now. Just researching for what slime kit to get found this thread.

The links just go to the slime website doesn't so which product everyone chose.
Went down to Autobarn and saw these two models.

Option A : Link
Option B: Link
Option C: Link

Price wise Option A was $45 and Option B was $85 at autoabarn.

My questions are what did you guys choose ?
Is option B only all it one can't use the pump on its own ?

Cheers Fellas keen for feedback before ordering one.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Good question, I'd like to know this too. I bought the car w/ out run-flats, it would be a good idea for me to have something like this in the trunk. Just never got around to it. Yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

just read the reviews on option B and last review stated the compressor could be used without the slime. Might get one for the 1er. I have the BMW mobility kit in the 3er and reciently bought a new sealant bottle from BMW for approx. $58 so this quite reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJA003 View Post
So doing the swap to non Run Flats now. Just researching for what slime kit to get found this thread.

happy to share shipping with you, I'm after an option b
work in Melb CBD.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
My local tyre place told me that they consider ANY of these products to be toxic and will not repair a tyre that has been "slimed" - regardless of the brand. They don't even want to touch the stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is just a marketing ploy as they'd much rather sell a new tyre than repair one but am interested to know if anyone has any experiences with actually getting a slimed tyre repaired - good or bad...

Also: I've been wondering if BMW Roadside Assist still covers you for a puncture if you're not using Runflats?
      05-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Also: I've been wondering if BMW Roadside Assist still covers you for a puncture if you're not using Runflats?
Of course they will. All M cars don't have run flats and instead have a BMW mobility kit. They still get the same level of roadside assistance.

I've read that BMW North America offered a rebate to customers who could not option away from RFT's when their customers bought a new set of tyres to replace the stockies.
      05-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Of course they will. All M cars don't have run flats and instead have a BMW mobility kit. They still get the same level of roadside assistance.

I've read that BMW North America offered a rebate to customers who could not option away from RFT's when their customers bought a new set of tyres to replace the stockies.
Yes but on ///M Cars the standard tyres are factory equipment. People have reported that BMW have tried to tell them that running non-runflats voids their warranty so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it for Roadside Assist as well.

Not saying that you couldn't win this fight but it's one that I'd prefer not to have at the side of the motorway if possible...

Also: BMW NA ≠ BMW Australia. Same rules don't always apply.
      05-02-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

It's a consumable item, there is no warranty on tyres.
      05-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
It's a consumable item, there is no warranty on tyres.
I'm well aware that tyres are not covered under warranty. I actually find the fact that you thought that was what I meant to be somewhat insulting.

Warranty on other components that BMW claimed could be affected by running different tyres. Suspension, running gear, etc.

I asked 2 simple questions. Both of which were whether or not any members here had had actual experience in either of the situations I raised.

Neither of them are stupid questions and you have not answered either of them. Instead you have either intentionally or through your own fault, assumed that I am an idiot, and provided me with your opinion based on an incorrect understanding of the questions.

Thanks.
      05-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #16
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm well aware that tyres are not covered under warranty. I actually find the fact that you thought that was what I meant to be somewhat insulting.

Warranty on other components that BMW claimed could be affected by running different tyres. Suspension, running gear, etc.

I asked 2 simple questions. Both of which were whether or not any members here had had actual experience in either of the situations I raised.

Neither of them are stupid questions and you have not answered either of them. Instead you have either intentionally or through your own fault, assumed that I am an idiot, and provided me with your opinion based on an incorrect understanding of the questions.

Thanks.
I think you really need to not read so much into my response to you as I mean't nothing by it.

Thanks.
      05-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJA003 View Post

I have option B. It comes with slime and compressor, all you need for a simple puncture. No plugs though. Fits snugly into the netted compartment of the boot on the right. I hope I never have to use it though I do feel more comfortable with it cruising around. I just feel like it may not be up to the task? I'm sure you already know, but it only works for certain types of punctures... and within a certain size also. There was a thread somewhere how a guy tried to slime fix his tyre, but because the puncture was a little bit big, the slime leaked out from the tyre all over the road, pictures and all.

I have been looking around for an actual spare tyre - that's like a guarantee! A bit more expensive than slime though... So I punctured my tyre within 3 months of owning the car, but haven't had a puncture since for the last 2 and a half years. Just paranoid after the first event.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
My local tyre place told me that they consider ANY of these products to be toxic and will not repair a tyre that has been "slimed" - regardless of the brand. They don't even want to touch the stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that this is just a marketing ploy as they'd much rather sell a new tyre than repair one but am interested to know if anyone has any experiences with actually getting a slimed tyre repaired - good or bad...

Hey Angus, Bob Jane Chermside replaced a tyre after I slimed the wheels. I had a side wall puncture and the BMW slime actually held in place for 24 hours. They weren't pleased to strip the wheel as they had to take extra precaution. They said even if a tyre suffered a repairable puncture, they wouldn't attempt to repair it if it had been slimed. I've only used it once but it was my best option at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #19
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGR00 View Post
Hey Angus, Bob Jane Chermside replaced a tyre after I slimed the wheels. I had a side wall puncture and the BMW slime actually held in place for 24 hours. They weren't pleased to strip the wheel as they had to take extra precaution. They said even if a tyre suffered a repairable puncture, they wouldn't attempt to repair it if it had been slimed. I've only used it once but it was my best option at the time.
Yep. Same place that told me they wouldn't repair. Wondering if it's just them or everyone?

If it's everyone then you'd have to weigh up which is a better investment: A Slime kit and a new tyre, or a tow truck and a repair.
      05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Slime kit is last option in my opinion. In another instant, i had to use a compressor 4 times in the space of 10 klms but managed to limp the car without resorting to slime. Tyre was still repairable and I didn't damage the wheel. I keep a space saver wheel at the office so I have that option if need be as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
GJA003
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGR00 View Post
Slime kit is last option in my opinion. In another instant, i had to use a compressor 4 times in the space of 10 klms but managed to limp the car without resorting to slime. Tyre was still repairable and I didn't damage the wheel. I keep a space saver wheel at the office so I have that option if need be as well.
That's fair enough helps me confirm which kit im going to buy. I think option B only lets you inflate the tyre with slime which i don't want. Want to be able to have the option to just inflate the tyre so think i'll go with option C. I have spare wheels too just want something with me when driving incase no one can assist me to get the spare. For longer trips or doing a road side spare swap i've made up a little kit not sure if any one saw in my thread the jack i modified.

Just made that and bought a breaker bar and pvc coated socket to finish the kit off. But actually going to look for a proper space saver now for longer trips to save on space is there an actually bmw spare solution for the 1 series other then slime ect ?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
dan_brooks
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Manual

ON the note of BMW Roadside Assist, my old man bought a 335, and after a "driver training day" AKA autocross, a rear runflat totally died. Roadside Assist came and towed the car to a holding yard (been a weekend), then towed it to our local dealer free of charge...
I think it depends on the level of cover you go for
Appreciate 0