BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
IUpod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

1st Impressions of aFe Axleback Exhaust

A couple of others have given similar accounts but I, at least, prefer as many opinions as possible when researching on forums so here's mine....

Fit and finish are great. With black tips, it could be mistaken as stock by probably anyone who doesn't frequent this site. Since it just uses the stock hangers and bolts, it should just take 10 minutes to put it on but (as others have stated) getting the stock one off those hangers is a bitch - especially the back drivers' side one that is hidden up above the tips where you can barely access it. I fought with that one for 30 minutes at least. I also took off the little 4-screw panel under the middle of the bumper to get better access.

So, the sound - well, it's louder. It's louder than stock but that's not saying much, is it? The stock system is basically SILENT but the aFe is certainly not loud. In fact, I'd lean more toward quiet for an aftermarket system (though I come from Subarus....) I'd say the thing is only about as loud as a stock G37 now. Start-up may be its best moment and the only time I'd rate its volume above medium. There are some characterful snaps and pops when decelerating and the sound quality when accelerating is solid. I quite like it - when I can hear it. The highway drone? Yes, it's there but it's very faint. You're not going to hear it at all with the stereo on even low volume. Not a bother at all.

So, overall, my only disappointment is the volume which is pretty tame. I guess I need mid-pipes. I must say, though, between the modest increase in volume and the stock-look black tips available, this is the perfect option if you don't want your wife to notice that you spent a few hundred bucks on an exhaust! Sadly, I told mine. She's pissed.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

nice writeup, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUpod View Post
A couple of others have given similar accounts but I, at least, prefer as many opinions as possible when researching on forums so here's mine....

Fit and finish are great. With black tips, it could be mistaken as stock by probably anyone who doesn't frequent this site. Since it just uses the stock hangers and bolts, it should just take 10 minutes to put it on but (as others have stated) getting the stock one off those hangers is a bitch - especially the back drivers' side one that is hidden up above the tips where you can barely access it. I fought with that one for 30 minutes at least. I also took off the little 4-screw panel under the middle of the bumper to get better access.

So, the sound - well, it's louder. It's louder than stock but that's not saying much, is it? The stock system is basically SILENT but the aFe is certainly not loud. In fact, I'd lean more toward quiet for an aftermarket system (though I come from Subarus....) I'd say the thing is only about as loud as a stock G37 now. Start-up may be its best moment and the only time I'd rate its volume above medium. There are some characterful snaps and pops when decelerating and the sound quality when accelerating is solid. I quite like it - when I can hear it. The highway drone? Yes, it's there but it's very faint. You're not going to hear it at all with the stereo on even low volume. Not a bother at all.

So, overall, my only disappointment is the volume which is pretty tame. I guess I need mid-pipes. I must say, though, between the modest increase in volume and the stock-look black tips available, this is the perfect option if you don't want your wife to notice that you spent a few hundred bucks on an exhaust! Sadly, I told mine. She's pissed.
How about power gains? What does the seat of the pants tell you? What size piping is stock and the aFe?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
IUpod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No dyno numbers for you but I guess it feels like it's breathing a bit better. I mean, come on, an axleback can get you maybe 10 bhp at best...? So +3% power at most? I'd love to say I can tell for sure but I'd be lying. At least there is some semblance of a soundtrack when tearing forward now so you do enjoy it a bit more and, yeah, I guess it feels a bit faster.

Piping is 3" on both. The tips on the stock are 3 1/4" compared to 3 3/4" on the aFe. They do stick out a bit more but not too much. Upon further inspection, I guess it does look better than stock. The tips are an interesting shape as they become sharper at the exit. (but not thin like a cut-off can or the Agency Power tips)

So it does look a little better, the tips are a little bigger, I'm sure it makes a little more power, and it is a little louder. It is a lot lighter! Definitely the 15 lbs. less they claim.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
No dyno numbers for you but I guess it feels like it's breathing a bit better. I mean, come on, an axleback can get you maybe 10 bhp at best...? So +3% power at most? I'd love to say I can tell for sure but I'd be lying. At least there is some semblance of a soundtrack when tearing forward now so you do enjoy it a bit more and, yeah, I guess it feels a bit faster.

Piping is 3" on both. The tips on the stock are 3 1/4" compared to 3 3/4" on the aFe. They do stick out a bit more but not too much. Upon further inspection, I guess it does look better than stock. The tips are an interesting shape as they become sharper at the exit. (but not thin like a cut-off can or the Agency Power tips)

So it does look a little better, the tips are a little bigger, I'm sure it makes a little more power, and it is a little louder. It is a lot lighter! Definitely the 15 lbs. less they claim.
Lol, you're lucky if you even get 5hp gain. If you want gains, you have to get downpipes. People swap exhausts mostly for sound.

Great writeup though. I've always thought the afe is a bit quiet, but I wasnt totally sure from youtube videos only.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
IUpod
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
Lol, you're lucky if you even get 5hp gain. If you want gains, you have to get downpipes. People swap exhausts mostly for sound.
The italics in "maybe 10 hp" were supposed to denote my own skepticism of such claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #7
Ser1es
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///M Sport

Quote:

Women will never understand......
      10-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser1es View Post
Women will never understand......
My missus loves my exhaust, she thinks it sounds nice and mean now. She just doesn't like how much money I'm spending on the car though
Appreciate 0