BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #67
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi Guys,

I heard back from Katja, here is what she had to say...

Dackel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AW: depo's...

Hi,

I think, Dectane manufacture and sell it... AD-Tuning is only a online shop wich is selling it too.
There are certainly many other vendors who sell the headlights. I do not know all.

Regards
Katja
David, I dont quite understand what she said,
so the one Dectane sells is the same product?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #68
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob View Post
Look in my post, there is a link to ADTuning, but here is it again: These are Katjas Headlights http://www.ad-tuning.de/shop/product...---Silber.html
Just like mine, only in Silver.

And again:
Depo Headlights (with 4 LED Bulbs per ring):

Thanks Knob,
I would like to purchase from ADTuning, but I dont understand german and I dont even know if they will ship to Canada or US.
I provided link for you. Tell me if this is the same one.
One thing hesitate to purchase this headlight is because it says "CHROME"
but appearance look same to me.
https://www.dectane.de/product_info....---chrome.html

Last edited by Yvette; 11-17-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #69
Knob
30FF
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54

It says chrome but it's silverish.. Just like Katjas 1er..

Btw, it's still german, not dutch :P
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #70
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob View Post
It says chrome but it's silverish.. Just like Katjas 1er..

Btw, it's still german, not dutch :P
edited
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #71
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Just thought I would post a photo of the DEPO headlights. www.AD-tuning.de sent me this photo. They sell the DEPOs for 260 euros for the pair.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #72
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just thought I would post a photo of the DEPO headlights. www.AD-tuning.de sent me this photo. They sell the DEPOs for 260 euros for the pair.

Dackel
problem is they dont ship to Canada, nor US

Last edited by Yvette; 11-18-2010 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #73
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Here is a picture of the back of the DEPO's that AD Tuning just sent me.

They have them instock & the guy there said they can ship to the USA IF the customer is willing to pay. He kind of thought it would be at least 70 euros or so for shipping. They don't take CC's though - you have to wire them the money thru a German bank.

AD Tuning M. Tschirdewahn <m.tschirdewahn@ad-tuning.de>

But... IF you want DEPO's there are other places in the US that sell them, no? I thought that is where SchlauCow bought his from someone in the USA. ?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #74
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Yes, I know that **********s.com carries the Depo lights, though I think they only have the black version (which I'm not a fan of).

http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm

Dectane definitely has the grey version of the Depos and they quoted me 79 Euros for shipping to the U.S.

https://www.dectane.de/product_info....47f64f4aa8fa1c
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #75
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Yes, I know that **********s.com carries the Depo lights, though I think they only have the black version (which I'm not a fan of).

http://www.**********s.com/Depo-Headlights-E82.htm

Dectane definitely has the grey version of the Depos and they quoted me 79 Euros for shipping to the U.S.

https://www.dectane.de/product_info....47f64f4aa8fa1c
I wouldn't count on Dectane, I asked if their chrome version headlight is matt silver... but here is what the customer service said.

Hello good morning:
I think you mind the item SWB14D. We have SWB14DB is black version and model SWB14D is the clear version (some denominate it clear other crystal other chrome.)
If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

I am not sure what she meant by that...... some denominate clear, other crystal other chrome.
Would you call that clear or crystal in German?
can Knob or David send emails to dectane, asking if its the same one as Ad selling (in German of course )
I definitely dont want to buy black version depo, they are way too tacky.

Last edited by Yvette; 11-19-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #76
Knob
30FF
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54

I think the black version is awesome, just look at my car, heh :P

And I don't think there are more than two versions of the depos, just black and silver (like on the AD-Tuning picture above).

Why don´t you just buy them, you can send them back if you don´t like it...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #77
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
I wouldn't count on Dectane, I asked if their chrome version headlight is matt silver... but here is what the customer service said.

Hello good morning:
I think you mind the item SWB14D. We have SWB14DB is black version and model SWB14D is the clear version (some denominate it clear other crystal other chrome.)
If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best regards,

I am not sure what she meant by that...... some denominate clear, other crystal other chrome.
Would you call that clear or crystal in German?
can Knob or David send emails to dectane, asking if its the same one as Ad selling (in German of course )
I definitely dont want to buy black version depo, they are way too tacky.

IF you look at this web page...

https://www.dectane.de/index.php?cat...47f64f4aa8fa1c

The first two headlights (L to R) are DEPO's, the 2d two are Sonar ones.

SWB14DB = DEPO black
SWB14D = DEPO silver or as the website says "chrome"

SWB14 = Sonar chrome/silver
SWB14B = Sonar black

AD Tuning seems a little bit cheaper on the euro prices.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #78
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Ok, so today i get an email from the guy at AD Tuning. He says his DEPO's are only for the e87. Not for the e82. ???

When I look on RealOEM.com they show the SAME part number lights for all four 1er models. SO what gives? I think he just doesn't know that the same part fits. Atleast I think it does. Anyone know?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #79
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

bump for an update
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #80
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I'm still working on an update.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #81
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

DEPO’s and SONAR headlights at Essen…

Hi Guys,

Ok, as promised I went to the Essen Motor Show and found the two options for headlights for you 128i guys. Here are my photos. The vender had the DEPO’s all wrapped up… so not much I could do about that. I was kind of surprised that the prices were kind of high. AD Tuning near me had better prices. There were three venders at the show selling these lamps. Only two of them had lights to show me! There are my best photos of them.

There are two choices when it comes to aftermarket headlights: DEPO’s which look OE and SONAR. With both you have a choise of black or silver/chrome reflectors/inserts. I like the chrome versions… so that’s what I took photos of. And besides… everyone has seen the black versions here before.

Enjoy,
Dackel

A small but nice vender…

SONAR had a very nice display area setup…

DEPO’s left – SONAR’s on the right…

SONAR’s…

DEPO’s…

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #82
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Great pics, Dackel. So, I have a couple follow-up questions since you've seen these up-close-and-personal.

Which set has the appearance of higher quality? I think the AE setup on the Sonar lights looks much more OEM than the Depos, but the Depos seem to look more OEM overall, especially the back of the headlight.

I am very much leaning toward the Sonar lights because I like the LED AEs better and the fact that the inner assembly more closely resembles the OEM setup than the Depo lights do (except that the Depo lights mimic the matte-gray interior finish).

It seems the Sonar lights have several redundant city lights; i.e., one LED between the high- and low-beam, the AEs, and then one in the high-beam reflector. Whereas, the Depo lights only have the AEs as city lights, if I'm not mistaken?

Do the AE rings on the Depo lights really have a blue tinge to them when the lights are off like appears in all the pictures I've seen of them?

With the LED AEs on the Sonar lights being wired separately from the other headlight functions, I'm assuming that you could wire them up just about any way you'd like?

Thanks in advance for the multiple answers
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #83
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Which set has the appearance of higher quality? I think the AE setup on the Sonar lights looks much more OEM than the Depos, but the Depos seem to look more OEM overall, especially the back of the headlight.

Exactly my thoughts too. The AE on the SONAR lights look better to me. But overall the DEPO's look very OEM, espcially the white turn signals.

I am very much leaning toward the Sonar lights because I like the LED AEs better and the fact that the inner assembly more closely resembles the OEM setup than the Depo lights do (except that the Depo lights mimic the matte-gray interior finish).

I think which light looks better is a personal prefernce. I like both. But IF I had to choose one I'd go with the DEPOs personally.

It seems the Sonar lights have several redundant city lights; i.e., one LED between the high- and low-beam, the AEs, and then one in the high-beam reflector. Whereas, the Depo lights only have the AEs as city lights, if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, you are correct on this. Also the SONAR lights have six wires for the AE setup. You have to splice those into your headlights - on your own. With the DEPO's it is all plug and play.

Also... the DEPOs use a OEM-like cover for access to bulbs. While on the SONAR ones you have to use a wrench and screw driver. Not ideal with the headlights installed on the car.

Do the AE rings on the Depo lights really have a blue tinge to them when the lights are off like appears in all the pictures I've seen of them?

Yes, they look blue when off. Just look at the pictures I took of the red 116i (Katja's car) at the Burger King parking lot - when we had that "coding event there". They look blue when off. When on the DEPO's have those four dead spots due to the four small peanut bulbs they use. The AE on the SONARs look better in this regard.

With the LED AEs on the Sonar lights being wired separately from the other headlight functions, I'm assuming that you could wire them up just about any way you'd like?

Yes, I would think you could wire up the lights however one likes.

Any other Q's?

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #84
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yeah I Am Leaning Toward Depo's
just dont like the fact its angel ring is bluish....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #85
jmasterb
Rep
Drives:

So these will fit the E82? would it be possible to get a link to where to order these?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #86
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterb View Post
So these will fit the E82? would it be possible to get a link to where to order these?
Thanks
AD tuning says they only fit e87's - that is what it says on the DEPO box. But... when you look up the headlight part number on REALoem.com... BMW only makes one headlight for all the different models. So it probably fits.

I know I have seen the DEPOs on the two and four door 1er hatches. So... it fits. I haven't seen them on a coupe. But if BMW only makes one headlight for all four models its a safe bet they fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #87
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

OE looks best by far housing wise
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #88
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strati1 View Post
OE looks best by far housing wise
I'm sure we all agree, but BMW makes it rather difficult to upgrade to the OE version without spending close to $3,000!
Appreciate 0