BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

How to maintain the convertible top properly?

Hi guy,

I just purchased a 2011 135i Cabriolet and since this is the first convertible car I have ever owned, I like to hear from you about how you guys taking care of your convertible. I have checked with the local auto care product stores and seemed like no one carry any of those maybe because it is winter season. The only product I came across to find is the BMW soft-top clean/protect kit. I wonder if I should just get that.

Let me hear your feedbacks and I really appreciate everyone's help.

PY
      01-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

RaggTopp Cleaner, and RaggTopp protectant are the only one's I'll use as I feel they're the best. I'd recommend getting the same. Start now and you'll never have to worry about having an ugly faded top, and it'll likely last much longer with the UV ray protection. Apply at least every 6 months and you'll be golden.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

I'm new around these parts, but I'm not new to detailing with convert tops. Your top is manufactured by Haartz, and Ragtopp is approved by Haartz.

I've been using Ragtopp for years, great stuff, easy to work with (if you don't let the testosterone in you get going) and read the directions. The durbility will depend on many factors, but can get a good 12 months out of the protection here in Utah.

Give it a try and report back.

Cheers,
GREG
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

[RaggTopp Cleaner, and RaggTopp protectant are the only one's I'll use as I feel they're the best. I'd recommend getting the same. Start now and you'll never have to worry about having an ugly faded top, and it'll likely last much longer with the UV ray protection. Apply at least every 6 months and you'll be golden.] Good advice

• Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
• Dry with a waffle weave Micro fibre towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture
Allow the fabric to dry for as long as possible (preferably 24-hours) before using the protectant. An hour or two isn’t long enough, it may feel dry but that’s only the uppermost surface layer (using a protectant on a damp fabric will ‘seal in’ the moisture and encourage the formation of mildew)
• Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTopp® Protectant or 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard) on the dry fabric, keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and in a cross hatch pattern //// \\\\ (to ensure an even coverage) using a back and forth movements spray lightly but do not soak (if you use too much product it will turn white, rinse away excess and allow to dry)

Convertible Top Cleaning / Care http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...-top-care.html

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset.
If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter or linked to it from your website or blog. Thanks

Last edited by TOGWT; 02-19-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Greg aka Reflections Detailing! Finally you poke your head over here where your knowledge will certainly help the community.

Jon, Thanks for the best response with a nice step-by-step of how to properly use. I hope you come out with a hard copy of your information sooner than later.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Here is what I recommend for Fabric Tops

Clean With:
303 Convertible Top Cleaner
OR
Raggtopp Convertible Top Cleaner - Fabric and Vinyl Tops

Protect With:
303 High Tech Fabric Guard
OR
Raggtopp Fabric Protectant

Here is what I recommend for Vinyl Tops

Clean With:
303 Convertible Top Cleaner
OR
Raggtopp Convertible Top Cleaner - Fabric and Vinyl Tops

Protect With:
303 Aerospace Protectant
OR
Raggtopp Vinyl Protectant

As always save 10% off with the forum discount code 10offBMW1. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Thank you guys!

Just had raggtopp clean/protectant kit ordered! They should arrive some time next week. I will report back the result once I have them used. Where I live rains a lot during this season and it is almost an usual to have bird drops since we are by the sea.

Thank you all again for all these helpful tips!

PY
      01-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Greg aka Reflections Detailing! Finally you poke your head over here where your knowledge will certainly help the community.

Jon, Thanks for the best response with a nice step-by-step of how to properly use. I hope you come out with a hard copy of your information sooner than later.
The series of 136 i articles The Art & Science of Detailing available on Amazon’s Digital Text Platform, Kindle 3 and the Apple iPad with iBooks
Appreciate 0