BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Thumbs up P3 Cars V2 Gauge review (brief)

Just received the P3cars new V2 gauge this weekend. As usual, shipment was prompt and packaging was excellent.

The gauge came pre-installed in the existing vent, was done very clean! It came package with all wiring necessary. Install is very straight forward, simply remove vent and replace with the V2 gauge vent and plug into the canbus and its all powered up etc!

I took a bit of an extra step with install. I purchased an OBDII splitter so I could hide the mount under my dash and keep an OBDII port open for other things. (just dont like that unclean look of something always plugged into the OBDII port).

Here are the details on that connector:
http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...y-to-db9f.html

I also have the analog boost option which if you havent done already, you need to run a boost line into the engine bay (super easy, just be patient).

Rick also supplied a few analog sources for future use or use of other gauges you may want (meth etc). I have to say I was really impressed with the ease of install and the new functions. Super easy to run through all the different readings (boost,EGT, throttle, intake temp, battery volt, rpm, speed, 0-60 timer, shift indicator...)

VERY happy with my upgrade and looking forward to Mfest!

http://www.p3cars.com/bmw-v2-order
      04-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
christopherkriens
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Coupé

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [8.62]
Great to see that these are shipping out, thanks for the review. I know that these gauges can read and delete codes, which might make it a good alternative to the BMS CAN Tool. Does this auto delete certain codes as well - tuner codes, exhaust mod codes, or otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
no auto delete, you need to go through and delete your own codes
      04-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Garage List
Thanks for the review! I went ahead and picked up the cable in anticipation of getting my gauge.

What are the benefits of the analog boost line? Is this required for anyone running piggys?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
1fastbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Thanks Mineo, just ordered a cable as well.
JB4 l Berk AB l AP Mids l PLM DP's l RSD CP l Injen CAI l BSH OCC l ETS FMIC l Koni FSD's l BMW Performance Springs l Complete M3 Frt & Rear l Dinan Shock Mnts & Camber Plates l Quaife LSD l Morel Speakers l Zapco Amps l BMW SS Pedals l Pearlescent Brake Handle l 30% Tint l ICarbon Dry Diffuser l Matte / Gloss Grills l Black 135i emblem l P3 V2 Gauge l SF-71's l Conti DW's 235/265-19's l LCI Tails l Lux H8
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

I got my gauge a couple weeks ago but haven't installed it yet because it's been too hot. 100-110 outside everyday, 10 degrees hotter in garage. I'd rather not have it plugged into the OBDII port, so I'm thinking of buying the splitter cable that a number of you have used.

I've got a couple questions for those who used the OBDII splitter. Did it allow you to completely hide the wiring behind the panels and still have a usable OBDII port? How does it install so that you still have an OBDII port in the factory location? Do you have to modify the area where the OBDII port mounts by drilling holes to mount the new one or anything? Are the connections in the DB9F connector on the splitter cable compatible with the P3 gauge so it can plug right into it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I've got a couple questions for those who used the OBDII splitter. Did it allow you to completely hide the wiring behind the panels and still have a usable OBDII port? How does it install so that you still have an OBDII port in the factory location? Do you have to modify the area where the OBDII port mounts by drilling holes to mount the new one or anything? Are the connections in the DB9F connector on the splitter cable compatible with the P3 gauge so it can plug right into it?
Did it allow you to completely hide the wiring behind the panels and still have a usable OBDII port?

Yes. I hid all the wiring behind the panels and my OBDII port is fully functional.

How does it install so that you still have an OBDII port in the factory location?

The OBDII plug mounts to the car using two existing screws. You remove these off the existing OBDII plug and connect that to the splitter (up behind the panels).

Do you have to modify the area where the OBDII port mounts by drilling holes to mount the new one or anything?

No modifications are required. The new OBDII plug uses the same two (existing) holes and screws.

Are the connections in the DB9F connector on the splitter cable compatible with the P3 gauge so it can plug right into it?

It is plug and play.

The only thing to note is that only one device can access the CAN data at a time. So if you are data logging with a BT cable or Accessport you will have to turn off the gauge.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks! That sounds great. I'll order one later today.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
AJfreefaller
New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Finally received mine. (ordered on June 12th). Is the install guide posted anywhere? The website hasn't been updated, and I would like get this thing in this weekend!
2009 BSM 135i/Black Boston Leather/M Sport package/Premium Package/Comfort Assist/ Stage 2 Dinan suspension/ Camber plates/ Dinan exhaust / Anthricite VMR V710's / Michelin PSS2's / P3 Vent guage ver.2 / Many other goodies I dont officially have
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There are instructions here:

http://www.rixeffects.com/files/135ivg_install.pdf

They include a lot of stuff that you don't have to do with the V2 gauge, but it looks like they cover the physical installation of the vent gauge pretty well. I haven't done mine yet, so I can't swear to it. Maybe one of the guys that has installed their will verify that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #11
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
Just received the P3cars new V2 gauge this weekend. As usual, shipment was prompt and packaging was excellent.

The gauge came pre-installed in the existing vent, was done very clean! It came package with all wiring necessary. Install is very straight forward, simply remove vent and replace with the V2 gauge vent and plug into the canbus and its all powered up etc!

I took a bit of an extra step with install. I purchased an OBDII splitter so I could hide the mount under my dash and keep an OBDII port open for other things. (just dont like that unclean look of something always plugged into the OBDII port).

I also have the analog boost option which if you havent done already, you need to run a boost line into the engine bay (super easy, just be patient).

Rick also supplied a few analog sources for future use or use of other gauges you may want (meth etc). I have to say I was really impressed with the ease of install and the new functions. Super easy to run through all the different readings (boost,EGT, throttle, intake temp, battery volt, rpm, speed, 0-60 timer, shift indicator...)

You mentioned speed, so it has a digital speedometer that's more accurate than the BMW speedometer? My guess is it probably reads like the digital speedometer in the hidden menus?
      08-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
AJfreefaller
New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
There are instructions here:

http://www.rixeffects.com/files/135ivg_install.pdf

They include a lot of stuff that you don't have to do with the V2 gauge, but it looks like they cover the physical installation of the vent gauge pretty well. I haven't done mine yet, so I can't swear to it. Maybe one of the guys that has installed their will verify that.
Thanks, but I stil have the original install instructions from when I installed the v1 gauge.

I feel confident that i can get the gauge into place, and connecting the gauge to the control box, to the obd2 port is pretty straight forward.
But in am a a little unsure of where to tap the dimmer line. It doesn't come with the same intercept connector as the original. I was hoping the OP could give me some insight or a pic or 2 for guidance. Thanks in advance
2009 BSM 135i/Black Boston Leather/M Sport package/Premium Package/Comfort Assist/ Stage 2 Dinan suspension/ Camber plates/ Dinan exhaust / Anthricite VMR V710's / Michelin PSS2's / P3 Vent guage ver.2 / Many other goodies I dont officially have

Last edited by AJfreefaller; 08-18-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

This is for s 335i but it should be the same for the 135i.

http://www.rixeffects.com/files/ventgauge_wiring.pdf
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
You mentioned speed, so it has a digital speedometer that's more accurate than the BMW speedometer? My guess is it probably reads like the digital speedometer in the hidden menus?
Yes. It uses the vehicle speed signal (VSS) from the CAN data. I am not sure how this compares to the digital speedo in the hidden menus.

Speed

Actual roadspeed direct from VSS. This is the actual roadspeed value of the car, uncorrected. This is the raw value, therefore it may not match your cluster which tends to read high in many cars.

Reference: http://www.p3cars.com/install/bmw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJfreefaller View Post
But in am a a little unsure of where to tap the dimmer line. It doesn't come with the same intercept connector as the original.
Here is the link I referenced when installing the dimmer - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=207.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I have the vent out, panels removed, etc in order to do the install, but the referenced site (also referred to in the install directions sheet that came with the P3 gauge) says "download coming soon." Arrgh!

Can anyone tell me how to wire it up?

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Their tech support is pitiful. I've had mine for a couple months andthey still don't have the install instructions posted on the web site. I'm considering just selling it.
      09-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #17
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I have the vent out, panels removed, etc in order to do the install, but the referenced site (also referred to in the install directions sheet that came with the P3 gauge) says "download coming soon." Arrgh!

Thanks.

Neil
It is disgusting that he's selling all these gauges and the instructions still say "coming soon." It's said that for months!

I just plugged mine into to OBDII port (2011 135i) and it worked fine once I remembered to do the setup stuff and tell it that it had a digital boost signal.

I haven't installed it permanently yet because i can't figure out how to get the vent out and the panel out. I hate to just start pulling on them. How did you get them out?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Thanks.

Neil
Did you get everything wired up?

P.S. Saw your car in the BMW corral this weekend, sick 1M!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #19
audi4t
audi4t
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post

FYI

the P3 harness must have changed - the OBD2 splitter referenced no longer appropriate for new design P3 harness.

I just installed the P3 boost gauge works great but couldn't use the splitter. That's ok since I hid the cable and just pull the plug out to gain access to the OBD connector when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi4t View Post
FYI

the P3 harness must have changed - the OBD2 splitter referenced no longer appropriate for new design P3 harness.

I just installed the P3 boost gauge works great but couldn't use the splitter. That's ok since I hid the cable and just pull the plug out to gain access to the OBD connector when necessary.
I'm curious. How does the splitter not fit? The splitter has a standard OBD2 connector on the end and the P3 harness plugs into the OBD2, so how can it not fit? Just a curiosity question. I'll be installing mine as soon as the dealer figures out how to replace my defective radio and gives my car back. Tomorrow will be the 3rd day they've had it for what should be a 2 or 3 hour job!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
audi4t
audi4t
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I'm curious. How does the splitter not fit? The splitter has a standard OBD2 connector on the end and the P3 harness plugs into the OBD2, so how can it not fit? Just a curiosity question. I'll be installing mine as soon as the dealer figures out how to replace my defective radio and gives my car back. Tomorrow will be the 3rd day they've had it for what should be a 2 or 3 hour job!
The picture I've seen of the old harness shows the analog inputs, gauge dimmer lead and the boost line leads being fed from a separate harness with db9 connectors at each end. You can feed this harness from a db9 fed from a splitter.

The harness I received has the OBD2 connector on one end and the db9 connector on the other with the other leads coming out of the db9 end.

The cable supplied with my P3 doesn't provide a way to use a splitter to allow the db9 connector feed the P3 gauge.

Appreciate 0