BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Throttle delay, is it normal?

I've noticed since owning my 135i the throttle response is pretty bad, i'll go to take off from a stop and there seems to be a delay before the car actually begins to move, i've even noticed when turning a corner that there is also sometimes a delay as i attempt to accelerate out of the turn.

Putting the car in sport mode helps but in normal D mode it is becoming quite annoying.

Is this normal for the DCT transmission?

Can the throttle response be adjusted by the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Try a tune first
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

I've noticed quite a few posts on the wider forums with the same complaint.

I don't use D, I drive everywhere in manual mode (habit from 2 years in the Golf) so I can't compare. I do feel however that after 800ks the car seems to be "loosening" up a bit including being a little more responsive and even the exhaust note seems to have a little more pop? Maybe it is more me adapting to the car rather than the other way around?

If you go to the dyno day, we can compare notes....
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Perhaps your engine SW was updated on a dealer visit/service? BMW has been updating the SW with their "lag" tune that also makes it harder for tuner's to mod the boost level.

IF you find that you have to press more than halfway down on the throttle in order to get a medium acell(like your car once had at say only 1/4 throttle) - then I think you have this anti-tuner SW update done to your car.

Some people have had success in BMW giving you thier PPK1 sw. But others have just gone and tuned their cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Perhaps your engine SW was updated on a dealer visit/service? BMW has been updating the SW with their "lag" tune that also makes it harder for tuner's to mod the boost level.

IF you find that you have to press more than halfway down on the throttle in order to get a medium acell(like your car once had at say only 1/4 throttle) - then I think you have this anti-tuner SW update done to your car.

Some people have had success in BMW giving you thier PPK1 sw. But others have just gone and tuned their cars.
his 1er is 2013 so wouldn't have had any dealer work, but presumably late models come with the latest software from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
his 1er is 2013 so wouldn't have had any dealer work, but presumably late models come with the latest software from the factory?
No not always. The factory is always behind the latest SW level.

Even if his car went in for an oil service... or recall work... the dealer could have updated his SW level.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No not always. The factory is always behind the latest SW level.

Even if his car went in for an oil service... or recall work... the dealer could have updated his SW level.
My car only has only done 1600 kms so far so hasn't been back to the dealer since i initially collected it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
joshuaa187
Private
Rep
Drives: car

Daz, even though mine is N54 i had a SW after I received my car and immediately felt that my throttle was less sensitive. Possibility that since your car is new it might've had a revised SW?

More than welcome to go for a ride in mine to test the difference
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Yes there was throttle delay even on my 2013 manual with PPK. I resorted in a sprint booster to sort it out, all good now.
      06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Dct: yes

All/most twin clutch gearboxes can be a bit vague at lower speeds sadly
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
dsh135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Funny I just came across your post on the laggy throttle response. After many months of humming and hawing I finally took the plunge and bought a PedalBox throttle re-mapper. It arrived earlier today and I was just about to post-up a review with initial impressions. If you search this site for threads on PedalBox or Sprint Booster you will find essentially two camps: i) those who have never experienced one and discredit it based on theories about what it can and can't do, and ii) those who actually bought one, are using it in their car, and pretty much unanimously love it. This debate is what made me wait so long before buying one, but I finally caved because I couldn't believe that so many people who owned one could possibly all be fools. Glad I'm one of the fools now - UNBELIEVABLE difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaa187 View Post
Daz, even though mine is N54 i had a SW after I received my car and immediately felt that my throttle was less sensitive. Possibility that since your car is new it might've had a revised SW?

More than welcome to go for a ride in mine to test the difference
Might take you up on your offer at the Dyno day Josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

Never had an issue with the DSG in my Golf R, however this is a slight delay in the wife's DSG Tiguan but not as bad as the BM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
Yes there was throttle delay even on my 2013 manual with PPK. I resorted in a sprint booster to sort it out, all good now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
Funny I just came across your post on the laggy throttle response. After many months of humming and hawing I finally took the plunge and bought a PedalBox throttle re-mapper. It arrived earlier today and I was just about to post-up a review with initial impressions. If you search this site for threads on PedalBox or Sprint Booster you will find essentially two camps: i) those who have never experienced one and discredit it based on theories about what it can and can't do, and ii) those who actually bought one, are using it in their car, and pretty much unanimously love it. This debate is what made me wait so long before buying one, but I finally caved because I couldn't believe that so many people who owned one could possibly all be fools. Glad I'm one of the fools now - UNBELIEVABLE difference.
Have considered the Sprintbooster, i know of a few people who have used them in their Golfs, but have heard mixed reviews from different people so am also a bit hesitant at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
dsh135
Private
Rep

I can't speak for Sprint Booster although I would assume it is very similar. The fact that Pedal Box is made in Germany gave me more of a comfort level. All I can say to you is Pedal Box on a 135i makes a huge positive difference and is definitely worth the money as far as mods go.

FWIW, I came from the VW world myself, I had a Golf 1.8T that I modded bit by bit until I finally ended up with a full APR Stage3+ with all supporting hardware and meth injection, so I know a bit about what mods make perceptible and worthwhile differences. I knew about Sprint Booster at the time but also never gave it a try on that car. If you really have an issue with the lag on your 135 I would say really try to get a test ride with someone who has one or will lend you theirs to try (it's literally a 5 minute install) if you're not brave enough to lay down the $300. I'm going to post a review tomorrow with my expanded thoughts on this unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

Might take you up on your offer at the Dyno day Josh.

Never had an issue with the DSG in my Golf R, however this is a slight delay in the wife's DSG Tiguan but not as bad as the BM.

Have considered the Sprintbooster, i know of a few people who have used them in their Golfs, but have heard mixed reviews from different people so am also a bit hesitant at this stage.
It's a relative small expense that more than likely will solve your concerns as it did mine and dsh135. If it doesn't then just sell it at a small discount, chances are you will be keeping it
      06-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh135 View Post
I can't speak for Sprint Booster although I would assume it is very similar. The fact that Pedal Box is made in Germany gave me more of a comfort level. All I can say to you is Pedal Box on a 135i makes a huge positive difference and is definitely worth the money as far as mods go.

FWIW, I came from the VW world myself, I had a Golf 1.8T that I modded bit by bit until I finally ended up with a full APR Stage3+ with all supporting hardware and meth injection, so I know a bit about what mods make perceptible and worthwhile differences. I knew about Sprint Booster at the time but also never gave it a try on that car. If you really have an issue with the lag on your 135 I would say really try to get a test ride with someone who has one or will lend you theirs to try (it's literally a 5 minute install) if you're not brave enough to lay down the $300. I'm going to post a review tomorrow with my expanded thoughts on this unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
It's a relative small expense that more than likely will solve your concerns as it did mine and dsh135. If it doesn't then just sell it at a small discount, chances are you will be keeping it
Look forward to your full review dsh135.

I'll pop into the dealership this week and have a chat, if they can't do anything i'll give the sprintbooster a go.

Where's the best place to purchase one?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

There is another unit called a D1 Spec Throttle something or other. Can be bought off eBay for like $120 and basically does exactly the same thing as these $300 units. You can even change the throttle mapping from Eco to stock to aggressive etc based on the press of a button.

Had a friend with a 135i who had one on his 6MT and really liked it.
      06-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

I'm not sold on the sprint booster. It will give you more throttle response because it remaps the throttle right? I don't think speeds up any portion of the process between you pressing the pedal and the car responding to it.
      06-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

Pulled one apart a few years ago, it was basically two resistors in parallel... Nothing to do with mapping as it connects to the pedal assembly.
Basically allowed me to perform heal & toe on my Cayman S otherwise the throttle response was too laggy.
      06-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy

I've only experienced dsg in a passat, polo tdi and r32, they all had the same 'take off in first, hit second, slow down luuurchhhh first' as it preloads third

And i'm not sure on the pedalbox, but the sprintbooster isn't too impressive, since all it does i boost the signal coming from the throttle (steps up the voltage) which the ecu sees as higher throttle %... Only the lowest boost setting is even drivable... Max sensitivity = maaaajor bunnyhopping because it's almost twice as sensitive

The only lag i had though was the DBW throttle having an off-on throttle delay, not transmission.. And i've since gotten used to having a slightly lazy cruising throttle since it's perfect at partial-full transition
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
dsh135
Private
Rep

Quote:
Pulled one apart a few years ago, it was basically two resistors in parallel... Nothing to do with mapping as it connects to the pedal assembly.
Basically allowed me to perform heal & toe on my Cayman S otherwise the throttle response was too laggy.
Was yours a Sprint Booster or a Pedal Box? The PB seems to be a little more sophisticated in that it has some adjustability, as demonstrated in this vid: http ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygRZiJ8CAvI

The thing is, even that video only shows that you're getting more throttle for the same amount of pedal input. What it doesn't convey is that the engine actually revs-up faster, not just more, and that's what I think we're all more interested in. The "faster" vs "more" thing is what I couldn't get my head around before making the purchase, but yes, it is definitely faster to rev-up which allows things like easier rev-matching.
Appreciate 0