BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Enlighten me

I was unable to find, using search, what the trans does when the shifter is over to the left in S1 mode and what is different with the Sport button. Also can you have both of them engaged? If so what benefit is that? All comments are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
allies_jh
Dr. J
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
When you put it into the S1 mode, it holds the revs longer and doesn't shift up as quickly in the lower RPMs. As for the sport button, it makes it so that your throttle response is quicker. It reduces the lag from when you hit the gas pedal to when you start accelerating. You can have them both engaged.

I think the benefit of the S mode is that you can shift by yourself with the paddles and the car won't go back into drive mode as quickly. I notice when it's just in D mode and you shift with the paddles, it tends to go back into D mode quickly if you aren't switching gears often.

Hope that helps.
      04-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Stock4Evr
RetNavSpook
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i - 2016 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by allies_jh View Post
When you put it into the S1 mode, it holds the revs longer and doesn't shift up as quickly in the lower RPMs. As for the sport button, it makes it so that your throttle response is quicker. It reduces the lag from when you hit the gas pedal to when you start accelerating. You can have them both engaged.

I think the benefit of the S mode is that you can shift by yourself with the paddles and the car won't go back into drive mode as quickly. I notice when it's just in D mode and you shift with the paddles, it tends to go back into D mode quickly if you aren't switching gears often.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your quick and informative response.
Appreciate 0